07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
How does Frasers stand up to other big name Lemon/Lime scents, TOBS, Salter etc?

0 433
 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-04-2012, 01:22 PM)cryhavoc Wrote: How does Frasers stand up to other big name Lemon/Lime scents, TOBS, Salter etc?

Hi

I'm a big! fan of J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream and think it has a nice light "fresh lime" scent...

Also performance wise I believe it's top notch, punches way above its price (IMHO).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
It's a good cream, never really cared for the scent,YMMV. Sorry can't help you with the comparison to TOBS or Salters, I've used both but not the lemon/lime.

12 743
 07-05-2012, 05:55 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree 110%. I absolutely love this cream and as Mike says, it preforms WAY above it's price point. The tub is so huge, I can't imagine ever finishing it.
The scent is subtle but refreshing. The lather comes super easy with just a smidge and is always cushiony and comfortable.

I did see an amazing pic on another forum where a member actually got to the bottom of the tub. I guess one would have to use it at the exclusion of everything else for a couple of years to do so.
I've tried Salter's and TOBS but not their Lemon/Lime scents so I apologize that I can't help you scent-wise but otherwise, IMO, the Fraser's compares very favorably to the big guns.

(07-04-2012, 02:40 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 01:22 PM)cryhavoc Wrote: How does Frasers stand up to other big name Lemon/Lime scents, TOBS, Salter etc?

Hi

I'm a big! fan of J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream and think it has a nice light "fresh lime" scent...

Also performance wise I believe it's top notch, punches way above its price (IMHO).

Take care, Mike

6 905
 07-05-2012, 06:15 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-05-2012, 05:55 AM)EHV Wrote: I did see an amazing pic on another forum where a member actually got to the bottom of the tub. I guess one would have to use it at the exclusion of everything else for a couple of years to do so.

Prior to fully embracing traditional wetshaving I did use a shaving brush, shaving cream (J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream) and a Mach3 for about 4 years. During that time (I'd shave once every 3 to 4 days) I worked through 3 tubs (450ml / 16oz), I have the empty tubs in the garage and use them to hold bits and pieces in...

Edit: Added missing brackets.

23 1,872
 07-05-2012, 06:20 AM
User Info
Like Mike says - this is an excellent SC. The scent is light and a little 'artificial', but that shouldn't be a problem for most people.

I'm pretty bummed that they stopped (reportedly) producing the other fragrances. I really liked the Mosswood.

Every time I use it, I think that I should be using it more often. I'm close to the bottom of my first tub of 'Original', and I have a second ready to go.

Good stuff, and it comes at an excellent price.

37 1,731
 07-05-2012, 06:36 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-05-2012, 06:20 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I'm pretty bummed that they stopped (reportedly) producing the other fragrances. I really liked the Mosswood.

Hi Yohann

Unfortunately those reports are true. When I heard the same rumours I phoned the company directly and asked them, they confirmed those rumours where true, but went on to state they had no plans to stop production of the "Original" formula, much to my relief Smile

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am going to weigh in with a dissenting voice...I really do not care for Fraser creams at all. The scent of the original is synthetic and reminds me of cleaning products and the performance is meh. Yes, it is cheap but so what. If I do not enjoy using it, it does not matter to me if it is free. Besides, when you are talking about the cost per shave, the difference between Frasers and a higher end product is pennies on the day.

Many people like Frasers and this is clearly a case of YMMV. My Mileage definitely varied. Tongue

45 16,313
 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-05-2012, 07:43 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Yes, it is cheap but so what.

Hi Phil

I agree with you, price (generally) shouldn't come into the equation if you like or dislike a shaving cream/soap.

For me price has nothing to do with it, that said I do firmly believe J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream punches way above its pay grade, which is totally different from "it is cheap" (IMHO).

Of course everyone's YMMV is different, it's what makes this hobby, obsession, of ours so interesting and varied...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
User Info
J.M. Fraser's is a fine cream. I recommended it to those getting started in wetshaving over the old formula Proraso/Bigelow - I thought JMF was more protective and easier to lather successfully. Plus, it doesn't have menthol - which some folks don't care for.

The scent I always thought was lemon - no matter - it does take a bit to get used to and it isn't overwhelming. After a couple shaves it just smells like good shaves. I think it's performance is right up there with the 3Ts.

If you're really into scents, or you already have a top shelf favorite citrus cream it probably won't replace it. If you don't obsess over essential oils and enjoy good value it may be for you.

12 96
 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
User Info
frasers is good stuff. I always get great shaves with it.

2 59
 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
I find the scent to be an artificial citrus, not bad just artificial. It takes a little more product than higher end creams but you get a huge tub. The J.M. Fraser's cream lathers beautifully and will handle a lot of water, it stays hydrated and doesn'y dry out as fast as some, which is great for some new wet shavers who can take 30 min +.
I once made a bowl of lather and left it overnight....it was still usable the next morning after only a few second of whipping and no added water.
I also like the fact it's ingredient list is short listing only 9 ingredients:
AQUA
STERIC ACID
COCONUT OIL
GLYCERIN
POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE
SODIUM HYDROXIDE
SODIUMBORATE
IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA
FRAGRANCE

I doesn't come up often, but when it does I always think "why don't I use this more?'

0 59
 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
User Info
Thanks for your thoughts Gents.

0 433
 05-25-2013, 04:07 AM
User Info
The urea chemical is a formaldehyde releaser. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen.

0 1