11-10-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
Hi everyone,

I just ran out of my current aftershave splash (yes, I only had one lol) and i'm looking to branch out a bit and try something new.  I find it extremely difficult to make a choice based on online descriptions. I was wondering if someone would be able to make a few recommendations? Here are a few scents that I have liked (and what I would change about them):

- Polo black/Addidas deep energy: These two smell the same to me. I like this (my wife does too), There is a bit of a base "sweet" scent that makes me not want to use this every day.
- Vitos Colonia aftershave: I found this to be a clean citrus/mint scent. I liked it, but I think i'd like something a it more complex
- Aqua Velva Ice Sport: this smelled good but I found it to be a bit "generic".
- Floid Blue: I liked this, but my skin reacted to it in a bad way. Maybe a tad too "powdery".
- Palmolive Shave Stick: no, this is not an AS but it smells good Smile

I'm open to trying something completely different, as long as it's not "old man scented". I'm turning 40 this week and looking for something "age appropriate" Smile

Price is a bit of a concern. I'm looking for VALUE. I was thinking of something in the razorock or Fine line of products but like I said it's very hard to make a choice online.

Thanks!

0 72
 11-10-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
Have yet to try an aftershave by Fine that I didn't like.  Personal favorites are Clean Vetiver and L'Orange Noir, but also have and like the Fresh Vetiver and Barbershop.

Folsom & Co makes some great splashes as well, personally love the Shambala.  All of these have very clean, basic ingredients so allergic reactions aren't too likely.

Samples of all of these are available as well.

53 1,199
 11-10-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
Stirling Executive Man.

13 947
 11-10-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
Happy Birthday!  

What a topic.  I'm sure everyone has opinions on this so I don't know if you'll get the clear answer you're after.  I'm kind of in the same boat and have taken to trying samples of a bunch of different AS's.  Hopefully I'll find a winner or two before I spend all my money on sample sizes.

2 64
 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
Here's a resource that may assist you.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126016.html

The link is for a product I do enjoy. When you get to the site, Basenotes
, you can research you current favorites to see if they have a common pallet of fragrances.

0 71
 11-10-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
All the Fine's are great. Mature without smelling "old". Catie's Bubbles LTV is a great masculine scent that blends well with a variety of colognes.

14 154
 11-10-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
you better do yourself a favor and purchase a bottle from krampert's: forever young! Cool

7 1,624
 11-10-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
I like Wm Neumann's Aftershave splashes and the are 20% off for the next two days. Heartland is a nice Fall scent. Absolute Zero is refreshing and modern. Old Fashioned Soda is just different. They also offer a sampler of eight which will give you three -four uses.

19 101
 11-10-2015, 07:27 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone, I should have done myself a favor and mentionned that anything with alcohol cant be shipped from the US or Canada because of regulations. It would be so much easier if I could order samples up here. 

Stirling Executive is not available here, but Fine Platinum is. I hear they are both inspired by Creed Aventus.  Folsom is available here too and going by the description, I don't see any reason why I wouldnt like Shambala as well.  WM Neumann was intriguing. Old Fashioned Soda? The name itself was interesting. They are alcohol based and wont ship here, but they DO have balms and the next time I need a balm, I may pick this up. Catie's bubbles looks nice and should be able to ship here as they dont seem to contain alcohol

For now, I may simply pickup a couple by Fine (which seems unlikely, people seem to rave about them) and the Folsom. If I don't like them, Christmas is around the corner and i'm sure I can donate to a family member.  After all, I did say I wanted to branch out a bit and try something new.

The basenotes suggestion was also very good and i'll look into it. Their site seems offline for now.

I'll report back on what I end up getting and how I liked them.

0 72
 11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
User Info
Just placed my order!  I got:
Razorock The Freedberg. supposed to be very very close to Fine Platinum or Stirling. Also based on Creed. Allegedly more lasting than Fine, but without menthol.
Razorock XXX. Shambala reviews make it to be almost identical to this one. These are possibly based on CK One.
Fine Clean Vetiver. The "fresh vetiver" was out of stock and I already wasen't sure which one I wanted to try. Maybe next time.

Choosing the razorock AS versus the other brands mentioned in this thread basically came down to price. The equivalent Fine and Folsom A/S were more expensive.

Interestingly the vendor was clearning out a specific fragrance of their shaving soaps for 1.99$ USD (Italian Barber Amici). They have a matching aftershave for it, so I figured it was a cheap way to get an idea of what the fragrance is about. Worse case for 2$ each, I'll end up with a few extra tubs to use with my home made soaps, or to press a stick or arko into.

Got a few blades to qualify for free shipping. It was about time I try a feather. thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: Sorry, Razorock XXX is NOT equivalent to Shambala. I got it confused with another one. It's supposedly closer to Aqua Di Parma.

0 72
 11-14-2015, 12:35 PM
User Info
I've been doing alot if research on splashes as well and wanted to get a variety to pair with the soaps I have and these are on my to get list... 

1) PAA - AL Fin
2) Crown Shaving Co. - After Shave Tonic
3) Krampert's - Frostbite
4) Fine - American Blend & L'Orange Noir
5) Folsom - Shady Past
6) Gingers Garden - Suede

3 920
 11-14-2015, 02:12 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
what's your budget?

moderate price: try the Barrister and Mann splashes and splashes from Strop Shoppe (when back in stock). Terrific scents and healthy for your skin.

a bit more $$$ :  Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver aftershave splashes are top notch, as are the Floris aftershave splashes (but they may be a bit "mature" for you).

Also consider Acqua di Parma aftershave splash.  One of the best I've ever owned.

I recommend you try these & others mentioned and have your wife make the final decisions.

168 1,384
 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I recently acquired a delightful bottle of Sergio Tacchini "Active Water". Refreshing, invigorating, summery, light, a little 'woody', and great face-feel. No-one seems to discuss it in shaving sites including the Nook. let me be the first to recommend it to everyone.

0 1,767
 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
Myrsol.....

61 3,796
 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Pitralon Classic

113 1,495
 11-15-2015, 04:18 AM
User Info
Razo rock and stirling are both in the 10-15 dollar range and both great products so i'd say just pick and choose a couple and try them out.

0 28
 11-15-2015, 07:40 AM
User Info
thanks again guys, In addition to the ones I had already ordered earlier this week, I ordered the Pitralon Classic. Here in Canada, it couldn't find it for any less than 65$ which is absolutely nuts. I suppose that locally it's not an expensive product. Amazon US had it for cheap, but the vendor didn't ship out of the US. Some ebay seller in Polland had the german version for pretty cheap so I pulled the trigger on it. Let's just hope that customs lets it through. My budget was around 15-20$ per bottle. So now i'm have four scents on their way.. one from Fine, two from Razorock and the Pitralon. if I like three or even two of them, i'll be satified.

I saw the Myrsol offerings when I was first shopping around, but they just added to the confusion for me... too many different ones Smile   Maybe next time.

0 72
 11-15-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
(11-15-2015, 07:40 AM)crenedecotret Wrote: thanks again guys, In addition to the ones I had already ordered earlier this week, I ordered the Pitralon Classic. Here in Canada, it couldn't find it for any less than 65$ which is absolutely nuts. I suppose that locally it's not an expensive product. Amazon US had it for cheap, but the vendor didn't ship out of the US. Some ebay seller in Polland had the german version for pretty cheap so I pulled the trigger on it. Let's just hope that customs lets it through. My budget was around 15-20$ per bottle. So now i'm have four scents on their way.. one from Fine, two from Razorock and the Pitralon. if I like three or even two of them, i'll be satified.

I saw the Myrsol offerings when I was first shopping around, but they just added to the confusion for me... too many different ones Smile   Maybe next time.

here's a good Myrsol thread with descriptives to further your addiction, fuel for the fire  Wink     
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=885

0 28
 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Yeah, that is fuel to the fire. I wasen't too sure because about the myrsol. The bottle labels seems a bit weird to me... very, very retro. I received three bottles from my order today. Here are my thoughts just sniffing the bottle, cant say much at this point about skin care:

Razorock XXX: This to me smells exactly like the Vitos Colonia (yellow bottle) I tried a while back... a nice lemony, minty, fresh smell.  I probably wouldnt purchase again,  simply because I can get a 400ML bottle of Vitos Colonia for pretty cheap. but i'll happy to use up this one.

Fine Clean Vetiver: "Clean" describes it. Elegant, but not overly complex. I could easily see this being my every day splash (hoping the wife will agree). Now this one is supposedly comparable to Guerlain Vetiver, that some would call "old man scent"... If this is "old man" or "mature", I guess I need to re-evaluate a lot of products.

Razorock The Freedberg: I really, really like this one, without being able to describe it. It's a nice refined, elegant scent. A bit less "every day" than the Fine aftershave.

0 72
 11-16-2015, 09:42 PM
User Info
Myrsol, B&M, RR, PAA

79 1,338