07-04-2012, 09:43 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I have not watched netflix in a month or two.I was in a mood to look around for something to watch tonight.So I fired up the WII.I hit the search function icon....nothing.It usually gives me an alphabetical search function.I'm looking at the same categories that pop up when i enter.I ask the wife (who was in bed) about the missing search function and she mumbled something about she had updated netflix.

I called Netflix customer service and inquired about it.I was told Netflix did not offer alphabetical search.I explained that I had been using it for quite a while.She put me on hold briefly and came back and admitted that I had had that function on my account but the recent update had wiped it out.I explained that was the way I looked for movies most of the time.Instead of having to wade through categories and scrolling thru titles to find anything.

Her suggestion was to get on my computer, log into Netflix, do an alphabetical search there .Find a title I wanted and then add it to my instant queue.Great.My comp and tv are in different rooms.Real handy.I asked her if she could pass on some customer feedback about how unhappy I was.She just said she would put a note on my account.She suggested I log into Netflix and go to the forums and post something there.

I was so annoyed by this bit of idiocy by Netflix that I gave up on watching anything and came here and posted this instead.

Is this yet another mis-step by Netflix management?The search function was easy.It's elimination greatly cuts back on the utilty of the Netflix product.Or is it just me?

0 275
 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Oh, this is bad news. Netflix Instant Play has been going down hill pretty rapidly it seems like.

35 1,734
 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
yeah we were forced to upgrade our Wii Netflix the other week. Now there are two Netflix apps. One for adults and one for kids. Really? I could live with the apps being separated if it would quit suggesting things like Dora on the adult Netflix. But yes, searching is now hampered and it is just a mess. I don't usually watch through the Wii, but I haven't been that happy with the failure to find things that I want or the discovery that shows that I was watching or movies that I set aside for the future are no longer on Netflix.

0 253
 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
Netflix is like my supermarket. It seems if we like something and use it, it'll be discontinued.

32 6,513
 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
I like how it was characterized as "an upgrade", when you actually lost a feature you found handy.

6 230
 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
User Info
They started out as a small Orlando (Fl) company that grew into a national phenom but now it appears they are going down hill fast. Just another US company doomed for failure. I am very sure their customer reps make terrible wages and they just don't care.

141 13,744
 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
Is it just me, or am i still the only one who still rents DVDs?
Good luck, sir.

89 21,201
 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
User Info
Perhaps a Roku box is the solution? It can access Netflix, but also a number of other streaming video services. If one service ticks you off, dump them and sign on with a different service.

(07-06-2012, 07:44 AM)celestino Wrote: Is it just me, or am i still the only one who still rents DVDs?
Good luck, sir.

Video rental stores are a thing of the past, at least where I live. People who rent DVDs can still get them from a Redbox vending machine. A lot of folks used to get DVDs from Netflix, but since their recent pricing changes (aka shooting themselves in the foot), many customers have switched to streaming video only.

There are still a lot of places where broadband, necessary to stream video, is very costly or nonexistent. Then DVDs are the only viable option.

0 308
 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(07-06-2012, 12:16 PM)Tbone Wrote: Perhaps a Roku box is the solution? It can access Netflix, but also a number of other streaming video services. If one service ticks you off, dump them and sign on with a different service.

There are other services on the Roku. Especially those you can pay for. Unfortunately, in order to watch shows on Hulu, you have to pay for hulu plus. But for some reason, a lot of the free content that you can get on your computer on hulu, you can't get on a paid hulu plus subscription. You can stream Amazon. But that costs for everything you stream, unless you have Amazon Prime. If you have Amazon Prime, then some videos you can watch for free. However, the Amazon Prime search function makes that Netflix search look excellent. There are many other options, but as you have to pay to try them, I had given up and stuck with just justing Netflix and Amazon on my Roku.

0 253
 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I recently called customer service back and talked to a fellow there about my problem.He said the engineers had been working on it and asked me to check my screen.I turned on my Wii and the netflix application.THERE it was....the alphabetical search engine.Hooray!!!

I thanked him for his help and told him that he had resolved a problem that had me seriously considering dropping the service.

So any fellow users here having the same problem call Netflix customer service.

0 275
 07-31-2012, 02:51 AM
User Info
All,
The business I'm in is essentially enabling companies to deliver digital video and I've been both a Netflix subscriber since before streaming and an interested industry follower in their efforts. Here are my thoughts.

I think in the long run they're doomed. The short explanation is that they don't own any infrastructure and virtually no content. They have to buy everything. Unless this changes, they will be unable to compete with the telcos and cable companies once those entities are able to deliver a full menu over IP intelligently.

The only real thing they have is their application and, compared to everyone else, it is truly remarkable. They've put in place a variety of players on virtually every platform so that their subscribers can watch content on almost anything. You cannot imagine how hard that is; how much engineering work it takes to replicate the Netflix experience on:
PC: Windows/Mac
Mobile: Ipod/Ipad (all gens), Windows,the highly fragmented Android universe which is a nightmare
Connected Devices: TV's (samsung, vizio, panasonic,philips and more);xbox,PS3, Wii, Roku, Boxee,

All of these platforms have differing requirements. Plus, the studios from which they license content require that Netflix deliver all this in a secure manner (which they audit) and not every device is capable of securing the stream in a reliable manner and so they have to work something kludgy in to fulfill their contractual obligations. Throw on top of that the recently passed captioning legislation going into effect at the end of September, 5.1 audio and an HD experience for those with hi speed broadband and there's a lot of work to do.

Once you dig down into it, it's amazing how good the netflix experience is. Think about it. Were you to cancel it, what would you replace it with? Hulu Plus? A good service and has the advantage of being owned by some of the content providers, but not nearly as good as Netflix.

The fact that they responded to customer complaints in the way they did just blows me away. We should all appreciate just how good they are and how much value we get from them for 8 bucks a month. That's not available anywhere else my brothers and sisters. When it's gone, as it almost certainly will be, I for one will miss it.

Oh, and Celestino...you are in fact the only person I know still using DVDs. That doesn't in any way diminish my appreciation for the Gillette Bulldog you sold me, but you did ask (insert mischievous emoticon here).

5 298
 07-31-2012, 03:29 AM
User Info
Oakeshott, Thank you for an excellent, informative post.

(07-31-2012, 02:51 AM)oakeshott Wrote: ...I think in the long run they're doomed. The short explanation is that they don't own any infrastructure and virtually no content. They have to buy everything. Unless this changes, they will be unable to compete with the telcos and cable companies once those entities are able to deliver a full menu over IP intelligently...

We've used Netflix streaming for about a year and a half using a basic 1st generation Roku box. Over that time it has been excellent device. Initially we subscribed to Hulu Plus as well as Netflix, but found the Hulu Plus website to be too time intensive as oppossed to the Netflix web interface, so dropped Hulu Plus.

Your explanation of Netflix's long term outlook, unfortunately makes sense. It will be a sad day in our house when it comes to that.

Having an older Roku box, we were able to download the now unavailable You Tube app before Google pulled the plug on that Roku station. As I understand it, when Google purchased You Tube, they pulled the plug on streaming devices because they were would not support the pop-under and pre-streaming advertisements.

(07-31-2012, 02:51 AM)oakeshott Wrote: The only real thing they have is their application and, compared to everyone else, it is truly remarkable. They've put in place a variety of players on virtually every platform so that their subscribers can watch content on almost anything. You cannot imagine how hard that is; how much engineering work it takes to replicate the Netflix experience on:
Mobile: Ipod/Ipad (all gens), Windows,the highly fragmented Android universe which is a nightmare
Connected Devices: TV's (samsung, vizio, panasonic,philips and more);xbox,PS3, Wii, Roku, Boxee,

All of these platforms have differing requirements. Plus, the studios from which they license content require that Netflix deliver all this in a secure manner (which they audit) and not every device is capable of securing the stream in a reliable manner and so they have to work something kludgy in to fulfill their contractual obligations. Throw on top of that the recently passed captioning legislation going into effect at the end of September, 5.1 audio and an HD experience for those with hi speed broadband and there's a lot of work to do.

Once you dig down into it, it's amazing how good the netflix experience is. Think about it. Were you to cancel it, what would you replace it with? Hulu Plus? A good service and has the advantage of being owned by some of the content providers, but not nearly as good as Netflix.

I agree 100%. Our Roku experience is incredibly a reliable, high quality experience - much better than analog or digital cable.

(07-31-2012, 02:51 AM)oakeshott Wrote: The fact that they responded to customer complaints in the way they did just blows me away. We should all appreciate just how good they are and how much value we get from them for 8 bucks a month. That's not available anywhere else my brothers and sisters. When it's gone, as it almost certainly will be, I for one will miss it.

(07-31-2012, 02:51 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Oh, and Celestino...you are in fact the only person I know still using DVDs. That doesn't in any way diminish my appreciation for the Gillette Bulldog you sold me, but you did ask (insert mischievous emoticon here).

Another DVD consumer here. We have a small collection, but avail ourselves using Netflix DVD's and are lucky to live in an area where the local public library network can provide a variety of movies and documentaries.

3 460
 07-31-2012, 05:28 AM
User Info
Agree with the other Roku lovers here. Excellent job and well conceived product. They just got a 20 plus million dollar round. Be interesting to see what they do with it.

5 298
 07-31-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
I recently signed up for a free month trial of Netflix. I was actually pretty disappointed in their library, but that's about it. I think I went into it with false expectations as I thought they had more new stuff a la RedBox. I'm not sure that I'll be keeping my subscription based on that alone. So far what I have watched on there has shown it to be a highly performing service.

31 8,059
 07-31-2012, 06:45 AM
User Info
(07-31-2012, 06:26 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I recently signed up for a free month trial of Netflix. I was actually pretty disappointed in their library, but that's about it. I think I went into it with false expectations as I thought they had more new stuff a la RedBox. I'm not sure that I'll be keeping my subscription based on that alone. So far what I have watched on there has shown it to be a highly performing service.

Brian,
The movie selection has suffered since their deal with Starz expired. They originally got the entire library of movies (four or five years ago) for about 20 million. When it came time to reup, Starz's price went up to several hundred million. I don't believe they renewed.

Their selection on the television side, however, is excellent. Take a look at that. It's especially good for series no longer on the air that have an episodic story line. It allows you to watch an entire season on your own schedule. The ones I'd recommend, offhand, are "24", "Heroes" "The Larry Sanders Show", "Battlestar Galactica". They also have some older series if you're feeling retro.

One of the other things that makes Netflix so great, and don't expect it to last forever, is that they don't seem to throttle how many users or devices can be authorized on the same account. My son watches, I watch, my daughter watches and my wife watches and there are no restrictions. My Xfinity account, oth, limits me to three authorized devices.

5 298
 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
(07-31-2012, 02:51 AM)oakeshott Wrote: All,
The business I'm in is essentially enabling companies to deliver digital video and I've been both a Netflix subscriber since before streaming and an interested industry follower in their efforts. Here are my thoughts.

I think in the long run they're doomed. The short explanation is that they don't own any infrastructure and virtually no content. They have to buy everything. Unless this changes, they will be unable to compete with the telcos and cable companies once those entities are able to deliver a full menu over IP intelligently.

The only real thing they have is their application and, compared to everyone else, it is truly remarkable. They've put in place a variety of players on virtually every platform so that their subscribers can watch content on almost anything. You cannot imagine how hard that is; how much engineering work it takes to replicate the Netflix experience on:

The fact that they responded to customer complaints in the way they did just blows me away. We should all appreciate just how good they are and how much value we get from them for 8 bucks a month. That's not available anywhere else my brothers and sisters. When it's gone, as it almost certainly will be, I for one will miss it.

Oh, and Celestino...you are in fact the only person I know still using DVDs.
That doesn't in any way diminish my appreciation for the Gillette Bulldog you sold me, but you did ask (insert mischievous emoticon here).

LOL Oakshott, now you know two. Wink

Hang in there Celestino. I'm with you buddy.

2 546