11-11-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
Hey all, going to be doing some traveling in the next couple months and was wondering if anyone has done it with a boar or badger. Any specific brushes or brush styles that work well, any tips to facilitate drying or prevent water damage, and any other general tips would be appreciated!

16 1,027
 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I travel with a boar...I try to leave it out at the hotel...if you feel safe doing so. I also gently towel dry if I need to pack quickly.

0 360
 11-11-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
I've always traveled with my Simpsons CH2 Synthetic so take my suggestion with a grain of salt and I'm pretty sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'd suggest a smaller knot that isn't as dense as to me that would seem like it would speed up drying time. The wee Scot for example or say a 19mm knot. 

I'm interested in what others have to say as well.

21 368
 11-11-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
I find boar brushes dry quicker than badger ones as the knots are not as dense, in general, and they are much less expensive to replace if anything dramatic happens to them on your travels.
An inexpensive Omega boar brush should suit you just fine and it is less than $10. Just make sure it is broken in before you take it on your trip. Biggrin

83 21,077
 11-11-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info
Badger!  Biggrin

8 845
 11-12-2015, 12:53 AM
User Info
(11-11-2015, 07:08 PM)Jsanchez Wrote: I've always traveled with my Simpsons CH2 Synthetic so take my suggestion with a grain of salt and I'm pretty sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'd suggest a smaller knot that isn't as dense as to me that would seem like it would speed up drying time. The wee Scot for example or say a 19mm knot. 

I'm interested in what others have to say as well.
Same here.  I used to travel with a badger, but found out a synthetic is better.  I am coming back from a short trip and brought a Muhle I got from a great member.  Used it this morning and by the time I was ready to leave my friend's house, that baby was dry.

But, if badger is what you want, I used to travel with a Simpson Berkley with the Simpson traveling tube.

61 3,796
 11-12-2015, 01:12 AM
User Info
My tip would be go small as comfortably as possible and let it dry as much as possible.  If using a travel tube, pill bottle, etc, make sure is well ventilated.

61 3,796
 11-12-2015, 02:10 AM
User Info
I sold my last synthetic, long ago, so only travel with badgers. Certainly, a small knot would be the ideal to allow for faster drying but I've often taken a CH2 Manchurian. Mihir, if you intend just to travel to one destination, do as I do and make your last shave on the morning of the day before departure. That way, the brush has a full day to dry as much as possible.

31 5,293
 11-12-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
I have a Wee Scot and the Simpson travel tube which works well. However, since I acquired  the Plisson synthetic, I take it because it drys faster.

0 61
 11-12-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
I like traveling with a synthetic, but I've traveled with a little Frank Shaving Finest and have always been fine. Just wouldn't go with anything terribly expensive just in case.

43 207
 11-12-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
I have to agree that a small boar brush would be fine if you're looking into buying one.   I have a smaller Frank Shaving badger brush I no longer used so it's in my travel kit, along with a Tech and a shave stick. To store the brush, I found a pill bottle of an appropriate size and drilled a few holes in the lid to help any remaining moisture escape. The razor is in an Altoid's container and the soap is in a small ziplock bag.

0 72
 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM
User Info
I took a small Omega boar on my last trip. It dried without a problem because I left it out on the bathroom counter (out of the way, so it would not be disturbed by the maid). I kept the plastic box it came in precisely because I knew I would be traveling. It worked out well for me.

0 1,071
 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM
User Info
(11-12-2015, 02:10 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I sold my last synthetic, long ago, so only travel with badgers. Certainly, a small knot would be the ideal to allow for faster drying but I've often taken a CH2 Manchurian. Mihir, if you intend just to travel to one destination, do as I do and make your last shave on the morning of the day before departure. That way, the brush has a full day to dry as much as possible.

Thanks David, that's probably how I will try to play it when possible. Some of these are exceptionally short trips though (depart day 1, return day 2) and I need to be presentable the morning of day 2 so I probably can't skip a shave.

16 1,027
 11-12-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone for the advice! I brought my Semogue Texugo (22mm, not very dense, 2-band hair) and a custom brush with the "Sunrise" 24mm synthetic knot. Will use one tomorrow and the second the day after, and see how they behave with drying time.

16 1,027
 11-12-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
I've traveled with all types. A few thoughts:

Boars
-Inexpensive, so no worries if they get lost, stolen, damaged, or mildewed
-Well-suited for face lathering/shave sticks
-The bristles absorb water so they take longer to dry
-Need to be broken in

Badger
-Can dry quickly if not too dense and large or they could take as long as boars if it's a dense, large knot
-Good for bowl or face lathering but less dense brushes aren't great for face lathering
-In general, cost is a concern unless you opt for something like a WD then it's not that much more than a good boar

Synthetic 
-Dries fastest of the bunch
-Most are cheap enough that you won't cry if it comes up missing
-Depending on your preferences you either love these or hate them
-Makes lather quickly which is a pro for travel since I'm usually going for serviceable not necessarily luxury

14 154
 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
I like to use my synthetic Muhle to travel, it is a very good brush for this purpose.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 11-15-2015, 09:08 PM
User Info
I have a large pill bottle for purpose. My backpack has a small compartment on the top and if take a brush, i place the pill bottle near the opening, without the cap and don't zip the compartment all the way, just an inch open, so the pill bottle would get air. 
Omega has a nice cheap travel boar brush with a built-in travel case. It is a wonderful opportunity to but another brush. If your backpack has a netted side pocket you can just toss it there.

6 827
 11-15-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
I've traveled with a small knot Simpson, a 19mm 56 Series. For traveling, I'm looking for a brush that can very quickly generate lather so that I'm not hogging the restroom. The 56 works well in that respect but I don't like that I have to dry it with a hair dryer before packing up - it's noisy and takes extra time. I have a Muhle 25 mm Silvertip Fibre Synthetic on the way that I'm hoping will generate lather quickly and dry quickly. Now, if I know that I'll be in a hotel room with a bathroom all to myself, I'll take whatever; even a Simpsons Chubby if I want. I can take my time with it to create lather and use the blow dryer on it prior to storing.

20 102
 11-17-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
Before I got my WD 24mm synthetic, I used to travel with a TGN 24mm badger fan. I also used a large pill container with holes drilled into it (I still do with the WD synthetic). Some people have cautioned about using a hair dryer on a brush - they will tell you to keep the heat setting down so as to not risk melting the glue in the knot with high heat (never happened to me, but apparently has to others).

10 96
 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 02:42 PM)pax238 Wrote: Before I got my WD 24mm synthetic, I used to travel with a TGN 24mm badger fan. I also used a large pill container with holes drilled into it (I still do with the WD synthetic). Some people have cautioned about using a hair dryer on a brush - they will tell you to keep the heat setting down so as to not risk melting the glue in the knot with high heat (never happened to me, but apparently has to others).

I agree on using caution with a blow dryer. Thanks for pointing that out as blow dryers can get very hot. I make sure to hold the brush in my hand when I'm using a blow dryer. If it's too hot for my skin, it's too hot for the brush.

20 102