11-12-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
I've got a credit at West Coast Shaving. I'm looking at these brands they carry. 

American Mountain
Herold
Dovo

Are any of these quality? Should I skip the strop from them and get something else instead?

Thanks!

0 88
 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Of the three listed, I would purchase the American Mountain. Why? The strop is made by an American craftsman named Mountain Mike who lives and works in Idyllwild, CA. A sleepy haven of a town (for how much longer, who knows, given the excessive California building sprawl). I just like supporting the smaller craftsmen. I do not own a American Mountain strop, but have been eyeing one myself and will likely purchase one directly at his store when my wife and I head-out that direction. That's my take, and others will likely chime-in as well.

12 605
 11-12-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
I have two Herold Solingen Prima Rindleder strops for my paste.  They have a slick finish and a light draw.  Not sure on their ability as stand alone.  I have a SRP strop for that and love it but it is a medium draw for sure.

Cannot comment of the other two you asked about.

0 413
 11-12-2015, 04:25 PM
User Info
A strop is a very personal choice. With that said, I have my original Tony Miller Latigo from 2007 and I strictly use my Kanayama #3 daily and have for over a year and a half now. I can't recommend the Kanayama any higher. It is an instrument. My second choice would be any strop made by Tony Miller. The only other I would be happy to own would be any made by the Late Neil Miller as a wildcard choice.

19 775
 11-14-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
Thanks for the direction!

I went the American Mountain 3" in latigo leather.

0 88
 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Since you are limited to West Coast Shaving, I recommend the Mountain Mike strop. I've had many of his strops through the years and liked all. Good stuff.

145 2,947