11-12-2015, 10:01 AM
User Info
Looking for advise!  

Outside of the Merkur 34 C that I started out with, the last year and a half have been spent shaving with vintage Gillette razors.  I own a number of them now and will definitely keep them in the rotation along with a Mongoose that I use every now and then.  My favorite of all my razors is the Super Adjustable - both the short handle and the black long handle SA.  I shave with the SA's at a setting of 6 and seem to be able to navigate the razor and obtain a great shave every time with a couple passes.  Blades are either Silver Blues or Polsilver Supers.   

I now want to venture out and pick up an additional stainless steel razor.  The Weber would have been my choice but these are rare sightings.  Looks like the Wolfman will be available again for order sometime after the first of the year but then the wait time.  This leaves me thinking that my stainless steel options are the Above the Tie and Ikon.  If the pricing is not a barrier, what might you suggest I take a closer look at.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

5 83
 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I really like machined stainless steel razors in general. While the sintered ones (iKon, Feather, Weber) aren't bad, the machined ones just seem to be more consistent for me. The Wolfman is a phenomenal razor, and I am a huge fan of the BBS-1 from Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company, both of which are machined by the same artisan. I'm not sure about the timeline on the BBS-1, but I understand there is a substantial wait on a Wolfman. If you place an order in January, it'll be several months before you have one. (Although, in my opinion, it's worth the wait!) I don't have enough good things to say about the RazoRock Black Mamba. It is an incredible razor, but also very difficult to come by, and that really comes down to a lot of luck. I recently had the good fortune to preview the Blackland Razors "Blackbird" razor. It hasn't yet been shipped, but of all the razors mentioned, I think it's the one you would have in your hands the soonest, and I don't think it will disappoint. It's due to ship before the end of the year, and as far as I know, still available for pre-order on their website. If you're interested in pictures, and my thoughts, you can check out the thread within this very sub-forum. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I wouldn't hesitate to strongly recommend any of the razors I mentioned above. I own all of them, (except the Blackbird, which I just got to borrow for a few weeks) and if I had to, I could use any one of them as my only razor. (But having a choice each morning is also nice. Biggrin )

22 824
 11-12-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
I would wait for the Wolfman, but if you are very eager to get a stainless steel razor, then go with the ATT as they are readily available.
You could also place a WTB ad for a Weber. You may get lucky.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 11-12-2015, 01:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-12-2015, 10:20 AM)chamm Wrote: I really like machined stainless steel razors in general. While the sintered ones (iKon, Feather, Weber) aren't bad, the machined ones just seem to be more consistent for me.

Help me out here:  I really do not understand the hatin’ on sintered stainless steel (of which the above comment is extremely mild) that sometime pops up in these climes.  A quality razor head is not going to experience much mechanical stress, and — conversely — a razor head machined from a solid billet can be no better than the quality and consistency of the steel in the billet it is machined from.  Distinguishing razor heads made from 316 stainless steel (an alloy that includes molybdenum that enhances corrosion resistance) from razor heads made from 304 stainless steel seems more attuned to the realities of razor environments than focusing on whether the steel was sintered or machined while failing to take into account what type of stainless steel is involved.  Am I wrong?

Also, see this article (written by a medical doctor, for what that is worth).

As to the OP’s inquiry, iKon currently is selling the Stainless Slant head with BI coating for $95; add a Maggard MR5 handle, and you have a superb stainless steel razor.

0 1,049
 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have an Above The Tie m2 and I really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with one. There are plenty head options, so you should be able to find one that works for you.

3 534
 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
Very helpful comments.  I am not in a big hurry.  Very interested in what stainless steel razors others have purchased, why and what they would recommend.

5 83
 11-12-2015, 09:33 PM
User Info
If in a hurry - ATT - fantastic razor, fantastic customer service and you can get the baseplate(s) that suits your needs.

If not in a hurry: Wolfman/BBS-1 - a true artisan razor that not only looks stellar but also gives you stellar shaves. James is a true gentlemen an fantastic to deal with and he will also customise your razor. Unfortunately for you, you might not get one  before mid next year - but as others have already said: it is well worth the wait.

7 883
 11-13-2015, 12:34 AM
User Info
Iv preordered a Blackland razor, but other than that ATT Atlas R1 has been great for me. Superbly made, and a very efficient shave.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

2 106