07-05-2012, 06:50 AM
User Info
One of my favourite badger hair grades has always been Simpsons 2-band super. Not only does it look great, but it has the right balance of backbone and soft tips that I like a lot.

I recently got an Emperor 3, and that seems to have the same 2-band hair (visually), but the tips are different.

I noticed that the tips clump when wet, like the Rooney Heritage XL series hair does. It seems softer at the tips than it used to be and lacks some of the scrub I've come to associate with this hair grade.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this difference between Simpsons 2-band hair from a year or two ago and what's available now?

37 1,731
 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried 4 Simpson super badger two band brushes,and yes,they all have variations,in the softness of the tips (more or less scratchy) and also in the firmness of the backbone (more firm,less firm,better flow and so on).
I bet is something normal,since badger hair is a natural product and cant be "standardized" but the differences were noticeable in many brushes.

86 7,123
 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
User Info
Teiste - You're right, of course. Being a natural product, there are bound to be variations.

However, what I noticed with this brush is that the tips are pretty close to what you get in the Rooney XL brushes, and also in the New Forest HMW brush I have. The tips seem to hold more water than before. I think they all get the hair from China, and I wonder if the supplier was treating the hair in some way (mechanically or chemically) to make it softer.

So what I'm getting at here is that there seems to be a bigger difference in the 'old' Simpsons 2-band and the 'new' Simpsons 2-band, and I wonder if they're getting the same hairs at the other manufacturers I mentioned. I'm not a fan of ultra-soft tips on my brushes, and now that the 2-band is different, I'll have to switch to Best (Manchurian is too expensive).

37 1,731
 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
Where did you happen to get this new Simpson 2 band?

64 796
 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yohann,very interesting.Could you please post some pics of that brush?
BTW,if I have to choose between Simpson super badger two band hair and best badger I will choose best badger, hands down.

86 7,123
 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
(07-05-2012, 09:17 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Teiste - You're right, of course. Being a natural product, there are bound to be variations.

However, what I noticed with this brush is that the tips are pretty close to what you get in the Rooney XL brushes, and also in the New Forest HMW brush I have. The tips seem to hold more water than before. I think they all get the hair from China, and I wonder if the supplier was treating the hair in some way (mechanically or chemically) to make it softer.

I think I know what you mean. The older ones had a little scritch. The newer ones, most brands, have a "spongy" feel to the knot when wet. I hope that describes it well.

2 697
 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM
User Info
(07-05-2012, 08:10 PM)SteelTown Wrote:
(07-05-2012, 09:17 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Teiste - You're right, of course. Being a natural product, there are bound to be variations.

I think I know what you mean. The older ones had a little scritch. The newer ones, most brands, have a "spongy" feel to the knot when wet. I hope that describes it well.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! This spongy feel is new, and I'm not sure I like it.

37 1,731
 07-06-2012, 05:59 AM
User Info
I have 3 brushes from the new hair. I quite like it.

Simpson 2 band is my choice hair grade. No other brush for me is close to giving the same feeling.

7 1,179
 07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
User Info
(07-06-2012, 05:29 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I mean! This spongy feel is new, and I'm not sure I like it.

I don't. I think it is the new standard for 2-band though. A lot of customers seem to love it.

2 697
 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Some 2 band Simpsons...

[attachment=3705]
Douglas

[attachment=3706]
Astor

[attachment=3707]