11-12-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
Hey all you SE guys!

I've been revisiting my Ever-ready '14 Little Lather Catcher this past week and have really been enjoying the results.  I do fine with the small handles but found myself wishing I had something a little bigger (more comfortable really) to steer it with.  I understand the idea behind the small handles I think as it forces good technique, i.e. less leverage, but I just gotta know how they shave with my nice handles!

I was wondering if any of you could take the time to post a tutorial on how to modify this (or the Damaskeene or Shovelhead for that matter) to accept standard threaded handles.  I remember seeing a thread on this awhile back (that I can't seem to find now haha) and know it has something to do with inset screws but I guess I'm dense or something because I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how to get it done.  Any pointers would be appreciated!

83 423
 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
Hope you get a response. Interested in this myself!

147 3,460
 11-12-2015, 07:47 PM
User Info
There are 2 threads in use for SE razors. For lack of better terms I'll call them the larger thread and the small thread. Large thread first, and it isn't found on your ER '14.

The large thread is the same thread as used on the vast majority of DE Razors today so if it's a male thread you're in business. If you have a handle with a female thread and want to convert it to a male thread just get a set screw, or a piece of all thread of the correct type, screw it into the handle and now the gender has been corrected, and since it's not the human body, there are no 30 trillion cells of the incorrect genetic makeup. BTW, I'd find one in brass, bronze or Stainless steel. I think SS would be the easier one to find of the three materials.

The small thread found on your ER '14 is a long since obsolete thread that isn't made anymore. Neither are taps or dies made for it. So replacement handles must be cannibalized from other razors. But all isn't lost. I dislike every much seeing this done, but you asked... Just obtain a tap of the appropriate size for the large thread in the paragraph above and retap the thread in the razor to the larger size. Then any modern handle will fit it. But I really dislike seeing this done and a razor forever changed.

FWIW, I've never done this so I have no idea of what exactly you'd need for taps. They generally come in a set of 3 one being a starting tap and it has a taper to it. The others are for finishing the threaded hole. Get a tap handle too so that you can start the tap in correctly. If the thread is cockeyed , well, you might not see it, but if it was my razor I'd see it every time I picked it up and it would bother the heck out of me. Too, if I happen to be wrong, I'm sorry. But I think that will do it, I just have no direct experience with it to verify what I wrote.

If, like me, you don't remember the thread, just take your handle to Home Depot. They have a thingy that will identify the thread. They'll also have what you need for set screws or threaded rod.

32 6,445
 11-12-2015, 07:58 PM
User Info
Thanks Brian!  I was hoping you'd see this thread.  I'm definitely not going to modify the '14 in such a way and will simply enjoy it as is.  I will take a stab at converting the thread on the others though.  Thanks for taking the time sir.

83 423
 11-12-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
What Brian said. I'll add a few images. The large thread is 10-32. This thread is found on 1924's, most Ever-Ready 1912's, some Gem 1912's (not Damaskeenes), and Valet Auto-Strops. 

With those you just convert a DE handle with a setscrew.

[Image: I8jd1TE.jpg]

I like to lock in the setscrew with thread locker. Don't do this if you ever plan on using the handle on a DE again.

With the 1914's and Damaskeenes the handle screw hole has to be drilled and tapped. This means that you will no longer be able to use the original handles. DeWalt sells a neat little kit with the tap and the proper size drill bit.

[Image: 9waDVBm.jpg]

You're only opening the hole roughly one thread size and brass is fairly soft. I've heard that the tap can be used without drilling out the hole, but I've always drilled it out.

When you get it re-tapped proceed as above, and you end up with something like these:

[Image: oRuR7Ko.jpg] 

1914 on the left, Damaskeene on the right. You'll note that these are user grade heads with plenty of brassing. I would never do this to a razor in pristine condition.

Although I am thinking about replating. Shy 

--Bob

0 185
 11-12-2015, 10:33 PM
User Info
Thanks for the great pictures and advice Bob! I love the look of those.  Exactly what I had in mind!

83 423
 11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
FWIW, Loctite can be neutered even after it's set up by applying heat. Just a few hundred degrees will soften it to allow removal of even the toughest grades of Loctite, but you'll destroy the threads on the set screw. They don't cost much though.  Too, Loctite  it comes in different grades. The blue type will "snug up" the set screw but will still allow easy removal without heat.

32 6,445
 11-13-2015, 08:39 AM
User Info
Caveat: I've tapped quite a few holes in my time, but not in old razors.

Brass and aluminium are soft enough that you don't have to predrill if the hole is almost the right size, but best practice is to do so regardless since you may overstress the material if you don't. Overstressing leads to cracks down the line, and that means a broken razor in a few decades time...

Measuring my GEM 1912, the screw have an diameter of 3/16th (0.1875) of an inch, while the nut have an inner diameter of 5/32th (0.1563) of an inch. This does not line up with any current standard I'm aware of; it's not UNC/UNF, not Withworth, not BSF, not metric (although it's close-ish to an M5 the pitch is wrong)... it is however within a stone-throw from this 1916 American Screw Co standard I found.

3 4,373
 11-23-2015, 11:03 PM
User Info
Thanks for the help guys! I used an inset screw on my shovelhead and the last three shaves paired with my WRH1 have been phenomenal. Now I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a rough looking user grade '14 to try the tap method. If I'm successful in my search and project I'll likely get it replated. I'm keeping my '14 as is for now though. Here is the shovelhead though! [Image: IqKEgi7.png]

83 423
 02-03-2017, 05:47 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Tried this today with success. Thanks guys!

19 726