11-12-2015, 10:24 PM
User Info
I have really been eyeing one and I think the size will be up my alley as many of my favorite fan shaped knots are around 24mm by 48m.

But what does the brush feel like on the face?

Do you like the density and flow through? How soft is it compared to what other brushes you enjoy? How hard do I have to push for it to splay? How much bloom does it have?

Thanks guys!

81 1,368
 11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
User Info
I have one of the older Manchurian D3's in Jade and it is quite dense but nothing like a CH2 in Manchurian. The fan is good shape and splays nicely although it does require a bit of pressure due to the density and resilience of the hair. The tips on mine are very gel like without being curled. It looks more like they have been bashed flat with a hammer and have become somewhat split at the ends. When wet it makes for a very luxurious face feel with no scritch. It is however, more substantial (scrubby) in face feel than knots with lesser density or thinner hair type but that is one of the desired characteristics of Manchurian knot's in general i think.

8 206
 11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
I have one I bought on the sale forum that was made in March of this year. It's great. No scritch at all, enough firmness to provide a soft scrub. Splays easily enough without putting a lot of pressure on it. it's easier to use that a Chubby 2 and better flow through. I can't find a single thing I don't like about this brush and I'm a bit fussy.

46 489
 11-13-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info
If your a face latherer you will love this brush, I reach for this brush far more often than my CH2's in Manchurian.

3 264
 11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Excellent brush for face lathering.  I find mine to be a medium density knot that splays very well with minimal pressure. I'd say it's a little more dense than the TSN LE Paladin.  Very soft tips to say the least with absolute zero scritch.

49 637
 11-20-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
Thanks for your comment gentleman. I was able to get a walnut handle rendition of the duke 3 manchurian. It comes in tomorrow so after a few cleaning test lathers, I will take it on it's maiden voyage for a headshave.

By the way, if anyone wants to share their photos of their brush, that would be great.

I really hope to get a candy striped or ivory striped handle. They look so elegant!  Biggrin

81 1,368
 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new brush, Zac! It sure is beautiful! Thumbsup

83 21,109
 11-20-2015, 09:33 PM
User Info
To me it has the right balance of backbone/splay and very soft face feel. For a smaller knot it holds a ton of lather and isn't stingy with letting it go.

[Image: oxraZSk.jpg]

20 1,375
 11-20-2015, 10:11 PM
User Info
(11-20-2015, 08:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations on the new brush, Zac! It sure is beautiful! Thumbsup

Thank you Celestino. Smile

Nevada Red - Thanks for sharing! I am by no means a Simpsons guy. Had quite a few of the distributed models when I started collecting badgers earlier on in my shaving. To be honest, I wasn't a fan. Earlier this year, I got the M6 Manchurian and I really loved the knot. I did end up selling it but this brush may be the start of the Simpson end of my badger collection.

Ever since they released the pics on the Duke in horn, I was instantly interested. They look so damn gorgeous. The adjusted curves add a bit off funkiness to it that I like. It gives it some nice character. How is the knot for you?

81 1,368
 11-20-2015, 10:50 PM
User Info
(11-20-2015, 10:11 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 08:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations on the new brush, Zac! It sure is beautiful! Thumbsup

Thank you Celestino. Smile

Nevada Red - Thanks for sharing! I am by no means a Simpsons guy. Had quite a few of the distributed models when I started collecting badgers earlier on in my shaving. To be honest, I wasn't a fan. Earlier this year, I got the M6 Manchurian and I really loved the knot. I did end up selling it but this brush may be the start of the Simpson end of my badger collection.

Ever since they released the pics on the Duke in horn, I was instantly interested. They look so damn gorgeous. The adjusted curves add a bit off funkiness to it that I like. It gives it some nice character. How is the knot for you?

I really enjoy it.  MF are my top brush, always will be but the smaller knot with added stiffness of the manchurian is a good balance couple with soft tips.. All around good performer.

20 1,375
 11-21-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
Here are some bloom shots of the walnut Duke 3 I just got in today. I am putting through some test lathers to help clean in and see how broken in it really is.

[Image: 7A5vAW7.jpg][Image: E0koZhk.jpg]

Really like the backbone and density so far!

81 1,368
 11-21-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
Zac,

Lovely brush. The Duke 3 in Manchurian is very special ! Enjoy  Smile

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 11-22-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info
Looks great zac, not sure where you obtained that particular one but I sold my duke 3 in walnut not long ago and it was a magnificent brush. Happy shaving my friend.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

115 1,011
 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
Very nice Zac!  Looks great and it seems is working for you, enjoy it.

61 3,796
 11-22-2015, 07:34 AM
User Info
Zac, that Walnut D3 looks awesome!  

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know if wood handles require any special upkeep or should it be the same as any other handle?

21 368
 11-22-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
Not sure, but if it's resin stabilized (which I hope it is) then it shouldn't take much in terms of special care.

Otherwise, I'd put a layer of minwax or some other commercial waterproofer on it.

PS - That is a pretty brush handle.

18 655
 11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
describing knot.

Manchurian hair is pretty stiff in the backbone.  Perhaps the stiffest of all my brushes.  Scrub is there and excellent, without a hint of any 'scrit'.  Depending on the brush and software used, however, the hair quality changes.

I find that a Chubby2 in Manchurian has a backbone is a bit TOO firm at times and the brushes becomes a lather hog and releasing soap sometimes feels like a wrestling match with my face esp with hard soaps.  I find soft soaps (like the one Simpson's sends with the brush) actually is pretty excellent and the release becomes much easier; I attribute this to the fact that soft soap/creams are significantly easier to lather and doesn't require as much work to generate an excellent lather and thus the soap does not need to get  'worked into' the knot at heavily.

I find that a SiLVERTiP Chubby 2, however, alleviates most of this and is a better performer all round IMO.  Excellent with both hard soap and soft creams while still being firm, without being overly firm that a Manchurian can be with the super dense chubby knot.

Manchurian in a Duke or M7, however, no contest!  Firm on the backbone, soft on the face, light scrub when you press harder.  Great with all kinds of software! 

If I had to chose ONE brush from Simpsons, I'd probably keep my SiLVERTiP Chubby 2 with my Duke 3 very close behind (only by virtue of the fact that I prefer a slightly thicker knot in a Chubby2).  I don't think I'd recommend a Manchurian Chubby as a the 'one and only' brush or as a 'first brush' as for the price there are ALOT of other options to consider.  As excellent as a Manchu Chubby is, I would also not consider it a good 'show piece' for what Simpsons can do (I think that still sticks with the SiLVERTiP) as it kind of fills a more specific niche in our already narrow wet shaving world. However, if one's means allows, I think everyone should at least get to EXPERIANCE a Manchurian chubby to see what a top of the line brush can do.

18 655
 11-22-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
Thank you Lorenzo, Hector and Essrbc11 for the kind comments.

Jsanchez, thanks as well. I was thinking about whether to ask Mark or just post a new thread regarding the handle and care of the wood. The grain feel rougher around the knot. I had bought it off of the BST but it was only used once before me. So I am not sure if the grain is rough because it wasn't sanded or because it got a bit wet. Not sure which it is.

To GloryUprising's comments, I used some wood butter (not sure what type of conditioning ingredients are in it) and then followed with some Renaissance Wax. We will see how that holds up. By minwax, you mean mineral based wax, correct? Your comments on the manchurian vs 2 band silvertip comments are appreciated. I have a friend who is lucky enough to have a few 2 band Simpons bulbs and he loves them. I am newer to really appreciating bulbs so it may be some time before I am going to get a 2 band silvertip but I really enjoy fan shape knots and doing the test lather last night seemed promising regarding the packing and splay.

81 1,368