11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
User Info
What loft do you prefer on a shaving brush?

0 16
 11-13-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
Depends on a what the knot diameter is and is you are looking for more splay and bloom or back bone.

I like a fan shaped knot at 24mm diameter by 48mm loft. But I have many other brushes that have variety.

79 1,338
 11-13-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
This is a very subjective question and extremely difficult to answer as there are so many factors to consider, depending on the knot you are using, its size and shape and what you prefer on your face.

I guess the standard dimensions might be a general way to choose a knot; 1:2 (knot diameter:loft).

83 21,077
 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
Not a science to me.  26x52 in most of my setups.

61 3,796
 11-13-2015, 12:36 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(11-13-2015, 12:13 PM)celestino Wrote: This is a very subjective question and extremely difficult to answer as there are so many factors to consider, depending on the knot you are using, its size and shape and what you prefer on your face.

I guess the standard dimensions might be a general way to choose a knot; 1:2 (knot diameter:loft).

Yes, that is the ratio I use as a starting point for badgers and synthetics. I think with a boar knot I'd go with a higher loft as the boar brush I really like is 24mmx56mm.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I like the 1:2 for most my brushes that have bulb shaped knots.  For fan I go with a little lower loft.  ie 26x48 for a fan, 26x52 for a bulb.  However, my Shavemac d01 two-band and d01 silvertip are both fans and I find 1:2 works just fine as they are very dense knots.

44 618
 11-13-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
I'm considering a 22:53 reknotted synthetic. So that's something of an oddball then?

1 50
 11-13-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
Synthetics can be too springy if you set the loft as low as badger(thinking of some people's reaction to TGC brush). I prefer a synthetic knot to splay easily and make good lather over backbone.

33 508
 11-13-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
(11-13-2015, 03:56 PM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote: Synthetics can be too springy if you set the loft as low as badger(thinking of some people's reaction to TGC brush). I prefer a synthetic knot to splay easily and make good lather over backbone.

Signs011

83 21,077
 11-13-2015, 08:03 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
The right loft, I find, depends on so many factors that I just don't pay much attention to it any more. To name a few factors: hair grade, intrinsic backbone of hair, knot shape (loft v bulb), and the presence of a glue bump. I know the loft is just right when I use the brush and enjoy it.

43 1,698
 11-13-2015, 08:41 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(11-13-2015, 03:56 PM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote: Synthetics can be too springy if you set the loft as low as badger(thinking of some people's reaction to TGC brush). I prefer a synthetic knot to splay easily and make good lather over backbone.

I on the other hand just love my Simpsons Chubby 2 LE synthetic with the much despised loft of 50mm on a 29mm knot. Soft tips, plenty of backbone and it splays for me without difficulty for face lathering. If you have sensitive skin or do not like backbone get a Pilsson synthetic with it's high loft it feels like you are face lathering with nothing, to me at least. Then there is the middle of the road starting point, previously mentioned, of the loft 2X the knot diameter for face lathering.

I am guessing that if you bowl lather a higher loft won't be a problem. You are merely painting the lather on as opposed to making it on your face using circular and painting strokes. A shorter than 2 to 1 loft to knot ratio might not be the best for bowl lathering. Just guessing because I don't bowl lather.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-13-2015, 08:46 PM
User Info
I'm mostly a badger guy at this point and face lather almost exclusively. I do have a Plisson and Whipped Dog synthetic for travel and I leave one at my girlfriend's house. I much prefer the face feel of a good badger brush with some backbone and soft tips to the synthetic.

I've thought of trying the Muhle STF knots for something with more face feel that would be more similar to badger for travel. Last time I just took the Plisson with me.

My skin is slightly on the sensitive side, but I'm coming around on the 2 band badgers.

33 508
 11-13-2015, 09:57 PM
User Info
Jeremy, you are developing some very good taste in brushes! Biggrin 

By the way, the Muhle or EJ synthetics still won't compare to your 2-Band badgers, but they definitely have a more substantial face-feel than the Plisson synthetic, especially, the largest brushes, 25mm.

83 21,077
 11-13-2015, 11:38 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
jeremy

Yea, in badgers I do like the two banders also. I had a Muhle XL that I thought was OK but still a little on the floppy side for face lathering. I had the knot re set in a custom handle and the loft dropped to 54mm which I found more to my liking. Most of the other synthetics I have are custom made and the lofts are set to around the 2 to 1 ratio just as most would set a 2 band badger for face lathering. A synthetic is a synthetic and will not duplicate the feel of a two band badger, so far anyway. To me they come close with the right loft setting and I enjoy them for what they are and what they bring to the table.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-19-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
(11-13-2015, 08:46 PM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote: I'm mostly a badger guy at this point and face lather almost exclusively. I do have a Plisson and Whipped Dog synthetic for travel and I leave one at my girlfriend's house. I much prefer the face feel of a good badger brush with some backbone and soft tips to the synthetic.

I've thought of trying the Muhle STF knots for something with more face feel that would be more similar to badger for travel. Last time I just took the Plisson with me.

My skin is slightly on the sensitive side, but I'm coming around on the 2 band badgers.

I have both a Muhle 23mm and a Whipped Dog 24mm that I use for travel as well, and prefer the WD (the Muhle sits on a shelf at home, waiting to be moved on). As a face latherer, I find the Muhle to feel "numb" - far too springy and does not splay that well. I understand that the Muhle XL is better, but as Bob said, a synthetic is a synthetic. I stick with my badgers at home.

10 96
 11-19-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
On my synthetics I like a 56mm loft. I like my WD 24mm knot the best so far but I heard he (Larry at WD) has changed the knots he is using. Some say the new ones now have too much spring to it.

5 1,537