11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
Here's the background for the question above:

I'm a wounded warrior with severe weakness and lack of feeling in my hands. Hygiene in general is one of the most draining things I do.

That in mind; I'm wondering if having a slant or other 'efficient' razor would suit me? Closer shave with a single pass? Or is efficient too synonomous with aggressive?

just got an Ikon short comb to move along that route and espicially to take care of a few days of stubble. I have a fast growing, thick beard. for the last several years I've used a Merkur 33c.

3 131
 11-13-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
If only shaving every few days, an open comb may be easier to use.  In my experience, safety bar razors tend to get gunked up quicker.

Efficient usually just means aggressive.

I have arthritis in both hands and find that a larger handle with knurling works best for me.  After nearly 6 years of using a double edge razor, I can pull a good shave from just about any razor from mild to aggressive.  Technique trumps hardware.  I wish I could help more with your hand issue, but I can only speak from my personal experience.

Good luck in your journey.

18 586
 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM
User Info
I have a very thick beard and for a really close shave I need three passes with a mild razor (tech, EJ89, etc). With a good blade, in my Merkur Slant, I can get away with only two passes. Now *maybe* if you don't have too tough a beard you'd be able to get away with one pass+touchups.  But I agree with Dale's comment..more efficient usually does mean more agressive.  The slant with a sharp blade is pretty smooth

0 72
 11-14-2015, 01:23 AM
User Info
Efficient usually means aggressive, but some aggressive razors are not all that efficient... there is a lot of variables, and only a few constants.

As Dale points out technique will beat hardware - but a thicker, knurled handle may make it easier for you to hold on to the razor without using too much energy. Same goes for the prep by the way; larger handled brushes may help with the lathering.

Stay safe.

3 4,511
 11-14-2015, 07:09 AM
User Info
I don't think so... Having used a Merkur slant, I also personally think the slant is just a gimmick. But yes it is more aggressive. I recommend an injector. They are incredibly easy to use and deliver much more comfortable results than DEs. They are also very light, maneuverable, and easy to hold.

18 713
 11-14-2015, 07:45 AM
User Info
(11-13-2015, 03:19 PM)Texchappy Wrote: Here's the background for the question above:

I'm a wounded warrior with severe weakness and lack of feeling in my hands. Hygiene in general is one of the most draining things I do.

That in mind; I'm wondering if having a slant or other 'efficient' razor would suit me? Closer shave with a single pass? Or is efficient too synonomous with aggressive?

just got an Ikon short comb to move along that route and espicially to take care of a few days of stubble. I have a fast growing, thick beard. for the last several years I've used a Merkur 33c.

First off, thank you for your service. I assume you meant wounded warrior from war. 

I'm a fan of the Muhle R41 for efficiency but everyone is different, although that is a popular razor liked by many it seems.

13 947
 11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
User Info
Yes, war injured.  The Muhl vine infer is that it's super, scary aggressive - lol.

3 131
 11-14-2015, 10:01 AM
User Info
The Mühle R41 is a very aggressive razor, but I would not call it "scary". As with most DE razors, a very light touch will be most effective.

Think of petting a hummingbird.

5 395
 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
Had reached out to Stan at ATT razors and he recommended one of their H2 Kronos razors.  Seemed pretty sound.

3 131
 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
Pm sent. The att slants are not aggressive . Check your inbox.

3 1,356
 11-14-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
I have the two slant \ torqued razors by Merkur 37c/39c and a vintage Mulcuto Slant Razor. The handle length and weight being the only difference between the slant Merkur's.
From my experience I find the slants to be efficient without being aggressive as long as one follows the specified shave procedure for slant razors. No angle required on face due to angled safety bar and N to S strokes.
The slant non torqued variety are easier to position on face than the slant/torqued variety.

5 272
 11-14-2015, 01:27 PM
User Info
Op a good single edge is worth a shot too. That being said depending on your injury you may need a longer handle or find a longer handle for comfortable as you can rest the handle in the palm of your hand and not have the weight of the razor on your fingers.

3 1,356
 11-14-2015, 01:33 PM
User Info
I know so little about SE I'll have to do some 'vestigatin'.  I  don't have trouble with my 33C but it does take the full three passes not to leave me rough for the missus around the smoocher.

3 131
 11-14-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
There is one SE I've seen lately.  Read up on the Beluga razor (SE taking DE blades) after seeing a thread on it.  Does that fit the bill or do the old injectors do so better?

3 131
 11-14-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
A razor that is available is always better than one that ain't... injectors have a good reputation and is easily available. 'Regular' SE razors (GEM, EverReady, and others) are also an option.

3 4,511