11-14-2015, 08:00 PM
User Info
When we think of the beginnings of Western Civilization we think of Rome.  And when we think of Rome, we think of Baths and Barbers. Bathing, shaving, and cutting ones hair; in general, good grooming and personal maintenance tend to make a man more civilized, sociable, and desirable.  Would you not agree?

11 84
 11-15-2015, 04:11 AM
User Info
Now days I would say no but certainly at that time civilized yes because it would've taken man made instruments to shave bath and that would be a sign of man conquering nature in a sense and Merriam Webster defines civilized as such...

: marked by well-organized laws and rules about how people behave with each other
: polite, reasonable, and respectful
: pleasant and comfortable

so I guess you could also add the sociable aspect to it as well but desirability would be a ymmv type thing. 

As far a recent history I'd say movies have always depicted the the clean shaven as 'upstanding citizens" (in general), the 'good guys" and they have depicted the unshaven as 'the outlaws", the bad guys", crazy ones" or uncivilized (i.e. mountain men, sailors at sea, hobos, etc)

In reality of course none of this is true. 

0 28
 11-15-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
Think about the Greeks and how they had beards. The romans just basically copied the Greeks. Or think about the ancient Hebrews which have greatly influenced the west as well . it was considered to be a great disgrace to be clean shaven in those times.

18 713
 11-15-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
At what point does a man become metrosexual? Pedicures? Leg shaving? At any beach you can readily see "straight" steroid injected men with obviously shaved arms and bodies as to display their tattoos. Their eyebrows are done too. Think Jersey shore. Are they then, more civilized than you?

18 713
 11-26-2015, 10:28 PM
User Info
the eqyptians loved to shave every square inch.

in the old days of movies, good guys were either fully shaved, had a very well groomed beard or mustache.

now the weirdoes reign supreme. I guess in the modern day of facial tattoos and facial piercings and the whole scraggy beard look, anyone who shaves more then once a month is "well groomed"

0 157