11-14-2015, 10:38 PM
User Info
My step-son is going to England next month to visit his father and I want to have him pick me up a few soaps that are cheaper to buy there. Can someone from England please recommend a few that wouldn't require him going too much out of his way to find them? Lately I have been on a mission to find excellent shaving soaps and/or creams that are considered luxury or high end. I would think soaps made in other European countries would also be relatively cheaper there also but not sure of that. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

13 947
 11-15-2015, 01:30 AM
User Info
Hi Hobbyist,

It all depends where in England he is visiting..

If he's staying in and around central London, then he's spoilt for choice.

There are 2 Sanata Maria Novella boutique stores (Piccadilly and Kensington).

Taylor of Old Bond Street on the famous Jermyn street and Dr. Harris store (St. James's Street and Picadilly) both of which I have visited and recommend seeing if he has the time. Although not high end, the Taylor of Old Bond Street Store is like a mini-
museum.

Harrods store in Knightsbridge has a wonderful banners shop downstairs which stock a range of products.

If he's staying out of central London then John Lewis - a well known department store in England stock a range of shaving products such as Aqua di Parma and Creed etc.

Doing a quick check, SMN cream and Aqua Di Parma shave cream on a jar retail for around £40 approx $60.

Hope this helps,

DM

1 213
 11-15-2015, 01:43 AM
User Info
I'd echo SMN since it's way cheaper in England. Other than that, the traditional British brands might be worth a shot if you want anything from them. They aren't comparable to something like SMN or ADP though, IMO.

3 1,484
 11-15-2015, 03:44 AM
User Info
Another option is to order everything into his closest John Lewis store and pick it up. Easier than shopping around you can order the following amongst others, which are worth buying:

Murdock
AdP
TOBS
Kent (luxury cream)
Kent (soap same/similar too MWF)

Other than that hit Jermyn Street it is shaving nirvana.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 847
 11-15-2015, 07:05 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I'd walk straight into the Trumper barbershop with a puck of their current shave soap in hand and ask them to lather it Smile

62 3,011
 11-15-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
Hit up Tesco and buy a shelf of Palmolive sticks!

16 1,027
 11-15-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
Thank you everyone, this definitely helps. I've been to London several times but unfortunately I wasn't into shaving soaps back then, however I am familiar with the streets you mention. He will be 1.5 hours from London but will be going to London to visit so I have options. 

Nishy - Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't heard of Murdock and forgot about Kent. SMN sounds very tempting if at a discounted price than over here. DR Harris is something I should try too.

Crazndndude - I've never tried a stick, might do that but love loading from a container so much not sure I'd like sticks.

13 947
 11-15-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(11-15-2015, 07:05 AM)Nero Wrote: I'd walk straight into the Trumper barbershop with a puck of their current shave soap in hand and ask them to lather it Smile

That is too funny!

13 947
 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
Recently a friend returned from England and brought back a puck of Geo F Trumper Eucris shave soap for me.  It was the most unlatherable product I've ever tried.  Absolute garbage.  It dissipated so quickly that I barely had time to set the brush down on the counter,  by the time I looked up in the mirror I could already see through the lather on my face.........it disappeared that quickly!   Avoid Trumper's like the plague.

1 230
 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I remember reading a similar thread....a gentleman who hit up all the famous stores on Jermyn Street.

While he enjoyed most of the stores, he stated his best experience...by far...was a trip to the Floris store. Most disappointing to him was Czech & Speake....which disappoints me because I love their products. He based this on quality of products and customer service.  Floris staff were very knowledgeable and helpful whilst the C&S staff knew nothing about the shaving products and seems annoyed at his questions.

I've never been there so I have no personal experience...I am merely reciting the recommendation of a fellow shaver/traveler.

169 1,425
 11-15-2015, 11:30 AM
User Info
My number 1 would be SMN, but I'd also echo Murdock as a tempting option. I've heard great things about their products and have seen them in London a few times. Unfortunately they are nearly impossible to get over here.

3 1,484
 11-15-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
I echo SMN [isn't it about 50% of the U.S. price in Europe?] and DRH.

0 530
 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
The price is much better in Europe and in the UK. I'd also add that if you go with SMN, make sure the person purchasing the tub checks the label for eucalyptus globulus leaf oil (if it has it, it's probably version 3). The version 2 and 3 are still in transition so you might not find the latest stock everywhere.

3 1,484
 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
If he has some time left, after the big names, ask him to get a few tubes of Ingram, which is one of the finest creams I have used, and that definitely includes Dr Harris and TOBS. 
(I am going to stock up on more once connaught gets them back in stock)

6 861
 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM
User Info
(11-15-2015, 03:48 PM)Galhatz Wrote: If he has some time left, after the big names, ask him to get a few tubes of Ingram, which is one of the finest creams I have used, and that definitely includes Dr Harris and TOBS. 
(I am going to stock up on more once connaught gets them back in stock)

Connaught has such good prices I'd rather look for things they don't offer but might have him grab a tube of Ingram since it's so cheap. I'm interested in SMN if it's a good deal there, and Murdock is now of interest to me too.

13 947
 11-19-2015, 06:44 AM
User Info
How readily available is Mitchell's Wool Fat within England outside of its home base? Is the domestic price better?

8 950
 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Erasmic should be easy to find in the UK, and it's not expensive.

3 2,638
 11-22-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
Creams will have to be in checked baggage. LHR security is notoriously strict on what can be carried on, and in what amount. 

If you are interested in shaving oil, G Baldwin and Co makes an awesome green tea and frankincense shave oil. Probably the only shave oil I really like. The store is on Walworth road.

2 336
 11-22-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
(11-15-2015, 07:05 AM)Nero Wrote: I'd walk straight into the Trumper barbershop with a puck of their current shave soap in hand and ask them to lather it Smile

39 3,953