11-15-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
Hi everyone, I had been telling my wife for a while how I would love to be able to roast larger batches of coffee than with my simple popcorn popper.  She knew I had looked at the Behmor. Yesterday, she threw a surprise birthday party for me and guess what... my friends and family all pitched in and ordered a Behmor 1600+ roaster.

Right now, my home roasting is pretty simple.. everything I roast I pull right after I hear the first few sounds of second crack. anything less seems to be too short with either undevelopped or grassy flavor. I guess it's due to the short roasting time in the popper.

The Behmor has quite a few different settings... a few automatic modes, some manual settings, etc.

I had thought of simply using the supplied instructions for a while (enter weight, choose P1 or P2, start, listen/smell and press on Cool when done) but if anyone can give me any tips .   How amout maintenance? Are the instructions sufficient for long life or is there anything else I need to do? 

I got a couple of pounds of less expensive Brazil Santos green beans to experiment with.

thanks!

0 72
 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Happy Birthday and Congratulations! I have no experience with it but the feature list sounds great. Please report on your results.

59 4,498
 11-15-2015, 09:02 AM
User Info
Love my Behmor. I have roasted probably over 300 batches since purchasing. I had to replace the mother board once. The fan once. Both times Tom was very helpful getting me the parts and talking me through the replacement.
I clean the machine with Simple Green after every 5 roasts. I do not use any of the pre-programming buttons. Too complicated. I weigh out between 250-300g of green beans, preheat the Behmor for 1 minute, hit the 1lb. button; add as many minutes to the clock as possible. (Makes the roasting time 20:30) and let my ears and nose do the rest. Plan on the heat "coasting" for about 45-60 secs, so stop accordingly.
Great little machine, but you cannot roast 1lb to a FC+. Won't happen. Not enough time, so do smaller batches.
Enjoy.
Caution: DO NOT LEAVE THIS MACHINE UNATTENDED WHILE ROASTING! 
I did and it was quite a mess.

39 3,919
 11-15-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
thanks for the tip Primo, your method sounds so very simple I'll give it a try. I've read that half a pound is the suggested quantity (225g), which is still three times as much as what I am doing with the popper.

I'm glad to hear the support from Tom is good. I didn't buy directly from Behmor (I'm not the US) but I did buy from an authorized distributor here.

I have a pound of Monsooned malabar that was absolutely awful in the popper. I know this is a coffee you either like or hate, but I was not impressed. It was like drinking mildew lol. I'm hoping the extra roast time from a drum roast might make this one drinkable. Smile

0 72
 11-15-2015, 09:40 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I mostly use P1 or P3 depending on the profile and region of the bean. The instructions actually do a good job, just keep in mind that for anything operational they have to be conservative for liability reasons. For example I don't believe they mention preheating which is something I definitely do. 

Sweet Maria's has a good tip sheet for the Behmor 1600 +. They also have a few excellent videos on YouTube that can help get you over the learning curve a little faster. However, in the end nothing is better than experience, and your roasts will continue to improve over the months. As our friend Primo mentioned, nose and ears will be key. 

As for maintenance, I completely clean out all the chaff after every roast using the supplied brush and after every 3 roasts I use Simple Green to wipe down all surfaces. I believe the instructions mention this, but don't use extension cord, and plan on getting smoke...so depending on your roasting location, wife may not be happy especially if you get into darker roasts  Wink

34 1,628
 11-17-2015, 08:03 PM
User Info
So I got the Behmor tonight and decided try it out with a couple of roasts.

I did three half pound roasts of Guatamalan Antigua. I pooched two of them :|

I did the first roast at P1/A half pound...... Seems to me that the heat was way too high for that bean. It went instantly to 2nd crack moments after 1st crack had started (at around 65% time). By ear, I heard first crack... by scent and smoke that was starting, it was 2nd.  By the time it had cooled, it was very, very dark. I'd say past Vienna, not quite full french roast. I'll drink it anyways, my guess is it will taste similar to a "popular chain".

2nd half pound, I tried P3A/half pound setting. I stumbled unto a "feature" I didn't now about. Apparently the 1600+ will show a 30 second timer at the 75% time mark. You need to hit start or it will autocool. I didn't know what to hit.... the roaster started cooling. The batch was not quite into first crack yet.

3rd half pound, I tried P3A/half pound setting. Based on what I saw on the second attempt, I added two minutes right after hitting start. The roast seemed more "normal" here, with a progression. This time I knew what to hit when the "safety timer" kicked in. I now heard the 1st crack, and a little while after, the first few snaps of 2nd crack. I hit "cool". This batch looks perfect to my eyes. About the same color as when I did them in the popper. I'll let them sit for two days before I taste them.

For now, i'll stay away from P1. From what I was able to find via google, it seems that's it's  "100% power, 100% of the time". Maybe this would work for larger batches.

0 72
 11-17-2015, 09:25 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The new feature is a deadman switch. It is incorporated in the new model to insure the operator does not walk away during the roast. Here is a good way to start.
1. Pre-heat unit for 2 min.
2. Set for 1 pound roast but only use 1/2 lb of beans.
3. P3 depending on roast may have to add a few minutes or subtract a few minutes at end. Use your nose and eyes. It is not a science with a Behmor it is an art to roast well.

68 1,068
 11-18-2015, 05:53 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-17-2015, 09:25 PM)Barrylu Wrote: The new feature is a deadman switch. It is incorporated in the new model to insure the operator does not walk away during the roast. Here is a good way to start.
1. Pre-heat unit for 2 min.
2. Set for 1 pound roast but only use 1/2 lb of beans.
3. P3 depending on roast may have to add a few minutes or subtract a few minutes at end. Use your nose and eyes. It is not a science with a Behmor it is an art to roast well.

Excellent advice here...I forgot to mention in my post I always use the 1 pound setting regardless of the amount of beans I am roasting. 

I have a Behmor 1600 (not the plus), so I am unfamiliar with the new features. I have wondered if it would be worth picking up the new panel  Hmm

34 1,628
 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
User Info
Giorgio I think they have a downloadable version of the manual on their website. You'd be able to spot any difference between the old and new versions. I think there is some manual control available in the Plus.

0 72