11-16-2015, 08:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Has anyone tried these soaps?

Faena is a greek artisan company from the island of Lesvos. They make some nice soaps, they are in business 2 years if I'm correct. They have many scents like Mastic Tree, Rose, Vanilla, Lavender, Floral... Two types of soaps so far, vegan and with lanolin. I was given a soap sample with tallow by a friend of mine, not from the company. It's not in market yet. Soon I believe. Recently, I bought a soap from their vegan range, Coffee and Vanilla. Great scent, mild. I think it was made as a LE for a forum.

They perform really well. I used it yesterday with the iKon Tech for the first time. The shave was excellent. No nicks and cuts. My skin was smooth and hydrated. The post shave feeling was great. I am really excited.

They use fine ingredients and EO.

The prices are pretty affordable, at least in EU.

There are some vendors that bring them. I am sure that they deserve a try.

49 1,996
 11-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I feel like @ckeskin will chime in soon.

I tried couple samples. I had hard times with Vanilla but I enjoyed Amber Bergamot. Nothing spectacular for me but I got great shaves with the latter.

@ckeskin enjoys the brand so much that he is like @celestino of Faena. He visited Fokion this summer. We also had a limited run of soaps from Faena for our Turkish Wet Shaving forum, Geltir. Coffee Vanilla was a product of this collobration. I didn't get one as I had no good memories with the Vanilla tester Cihan gave me.

0 1,053
 11-16-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
Good one, Oguz! Biggrin

83 21,077
 11-16-2015, 11:58 PM
User Info
Kalimera @nikos.a , 

I am actually surprised a Greek member of TSN didn't talk about Faena before. As far as I know this soap is also pretty popular in the Greek Shaving Forum. I currently own 10 Faena soaps, 1 Faena aftershave balm and 1 Faena aftershave lotion. I am extremely happy with all of them. In fact I am planning to translate some of my Faena reviews into English and post them here in TSN soon.

Faena soaps are handmade by an artisan named Fokion in Lesvos. He is not only a great artisan but also a very nice person. He tries to use mostly locally sourced ingredients and the highest quality essential oils. My personal favourites are: Coffee-Vanilla, Vanilla, Amber-Bergamot, Mastic and Amber-Musk. Floral is also wonderful if you like flower scents but it is a little feminine for my taste.

He makes soaps both with and without lanolin. I would suggest everyone to get one from both and decide what you like yourself. His balms and lotions are also exquisite. All his products are top notch performers. I highly suggest them to everybody. I know he is experimenting with tallow now but we need to wait bit more for the final product.

The Coffee & Vanilla and Floral soaps were originally created as LE soaps for Turish shaving forum Geltir as @Aleksey mentioned before. You can easily seperate them from the rest since the LE run had tin bowls instead of standard plastic bowls but I guess Fokion is considerin moving to tin bowls since they are far more presentable than the plastic ones.

@Aleksey is actually the only person in the Turkish forum who did not enjoy a Faena product. It was non-lanolin Vanilla soap for him and I still think it is because I gave him a too small sample.

0 81
 11-17-2015, 12:50 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Kalimera my friend.

Unfortunately, it's not as popular in Greece and in the greek shaving forum as you may believe. There are members who haven't tried them. There is another greek artisan who makes tallow shaving soaps and he's an old member of that forum, so most of them prefer his soaps. You can see them if you like, in my last BST thread. Pretty nice soaps also, but not for me.

I would say that his big hit is his Rose scented soap. Perfect rose scent, but I already own two of this scent and I want to finish one of them first.

My Coffee and Vanilla soap comes is this tin you mentioned. It's far better than the plastic one, I agree. It's made of aluminum, so there's no fear of rust. If you asked him to change his bowls, well done. That was a nice upgrade.

The tallow sample I tried was very good. It has some lathering problems by the way, that vegan and lanolin soaps don't have, the lather needs too much water and it dries out fast. It's a lot different than many other tallow soaps I've tried, probably I don't have his final tallow product. Maybe he fixed this problem.

49 1,996
 11-17-2015, 01:32 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(11-17-2015, 12:50 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Kalimera my friend.

Unfortunately, it's not as popular in Greece and in the greek shaving forum as you may believe. There are members who haven't tried them. There is another greek artisan who makes tallow shaving soaps and he's an old member of that forum, so most of them prefer his soaps. You can see them if you like, in my last BST thread. Pretty nice soaps also, but not for me.

I would say that his big hit is his Rose scented soap. Perfect rose scent, but I already own two of this scent and I want to finish one of them first.

My Coffee and Vanilla soap comes is this tin you mentioned. It's far better than the plastic one, I agree. It's made of aluminum, so there's no fear of rust. If you asked him to change his bowls, well done. That was a nice upgrade.

The tallow sample I tried was very good. It has some lathering problems by the way, that vegan and lanolin soaps don't have, the lather needs too much water and it dries out fast. It's a lot different than many other tallow soaps I've tried, probably I don't have his final tallow product. Maybe he fixed this problem.

3 2,635
 11-17-2015, 01:34 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Gea sou Nick, eisai kala file!

There's a gentleman on the German Gut Rasiert.de Forum where I'm also very active, and he says the Faena soaps are fantastic. He told me he's tried all of them!

3 2,635
 11-17-2015, 02:58 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-17-2015, 01:34 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: Gea sou Nick, eisai kala file!

There's a gentleman on the German Gut Rasiert.de Forum where I'm also very active, and he says the Faena soaps are fantastic. He told me he's tried all of them!

Mia xara file, esu ti kaneis?

Faena are pretty good soaps. I am Greek and Faena is officially the only greek artisan soap company. So, I am trying to be objective. They really deserve a try. They perform really well. Their scents are mild, gentlemen with sensitive skin will be very satisfied. In my opinion, they're a lot better than other vegan soaps like Razorock or TFS, but I can't compare them with the LPL, let's say, which I believe that along with Nuavia are maybe the best European soaps available.

49 1,996
 11-18-2015, 05:56 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(11-17-2015, 02:58 PM)nikos.a Wrote:

Faena are pretty good soaps. I am Greek and Faena is officially the only greek artisan soap company. So, I am trying to be objective. They really deserve a try. They perform really well. Their scents are mild, gentlemen with sensitive skin will be very satisfied. In my opinion, they're a lot better than other vegan soaps like Razorock or TFS, but I can't compare them with the LPL, let's say, which I believe that along with Nuavia are maybe the best European soaps available.

Nick my friend, I see Gifts and Care in Spain carries the Faena soaps. I can buy a couple from them!

3 2,635
 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-18-2015, 05:56 AM)JAYDEE Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 02:58 PM)nikos.a Wrote:

Nick my friend, I see Gifts and Care in Spain carries the Faena soaps. I can buy a couple from them!

Hi Jeff,

G&C is a nice vendor. I suggest you to try out the Mastic Tree scent which is unique.

49 1,996
 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(11-18-2015, 09:03 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 05:56 AM)JAYDEE Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 02:58 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Mia xara file, esu ti kaneis?

Hi Jeff,

G&C is a nice vendor. I suggest you to try out the Mastic Tree scent which is unique.
Euxaristo file, I will buy that one!

3 2,635
 01-11-2016, 09:02 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
On December, I made an order from Faena. They also sent me a sample of their new soap with tallow and lanolin, final edition, Faena Dorica, which scent is woody and earthy, with moss.

It's mildly scented, not overpowering like, let's say, Nuavia soaps.

The performance of this soap is excellent. It lathers easily and it doesn't need a lot of water to make a rich and protective foam. The skin properties are some of the best. I use exclusively aggressive razors and I didn't have any irritation or nicks. During the passes, the blade was gliding easily, with no problem at all. I use to shave every other day. The shaves I did were very enjoyable and the skin was perfectly hydrated.

Highly recommended.

[Image: 20151222_195426_zpse3meeihs.jpg]
After approximately 50 swirls with Semogue OC 2Band...

[Image: 20151222_200619_zpsm8d3ouo1.jpg]
Crème de la crème, after two passes...

49 1,996
 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thanks for sharing! I was happy to finally see a Greek artisan soap being releases and already planned on including a puck on my next order from G&C. It looks promising...what is the closest artisan soap that you can compare it to?

34 1,628
 01-11-2016, 11:29 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I should try some Faena again. Vanilla was one of the soaps I binned and they are not so many...

0 1,053
 01-11-2016, 12:56 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-11-2016, 10:57 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thanks for sharing! I was happy to finally see a Greek artisan soap being releases and already planned on including a puck on my next order from G&C. It looks promising...what is the closest artisan soap that you can compare it to?

There are 3 editions of Faena soaps, vegan, with lanolin, with tallow and lanolin. I prefer the last two editions. Both perform great. The vegan soap is for those who like milder razors, I had some nicks with Coffee & Vanilla. I used the Faena Rose with lanolin and Faena Dorica with tallow and lanolin with some of the most aggressive razors available in the market, like Fatip and iKon Tech. All the shaves were excellent. I was very satisfied with the result.

Their tallow soap is pretty close in performance with Pannacrema soaps( Namaste, Ebano, Vetiver etc.).

49 1,996