11-16-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
I purchased 2 different Fat Boys a few weeks ago. One of the Fat Boys I haven't touched as it was in great shape (on the right in the pictures). The other 1 was in need of some love. I completely dismantled it and cleaned it up. Including polishing it with Maas. Maas did a very good job but the metal wasn't as clean nor did it shine as I would have liked.  I picked up a can of Bar Keepers Friend and the results are amazing. I needed to share the results of BKF because I know many have vintage razors and would like to bring them back to a wonderful shine. The razor on the left is the cleaned razor. I've also posted the before pictures. The results speak for themselves. Grab a can of BKF

[Image: 1lr8FiZ.jpg][Image: Y7jU2qs.jpg][Image: SYIuPxN.jpg][Image: WZwJhSA.jpg][Image: 4pz06a0.jpg][Image: eALO58U.jpg]

0 79
 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Nice! I always have BKF in the house (former bartender) but never thought to use it on a razor.

It is a very gentle, effective cleaner though and appreciate the tip!

Great Fatboys too by the way.

2 1,180
 11-16-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
Well done mate!,but believe me,those old TTO's hide much gunk inside!,even with an ultrasonic clean out...
You really need to strip them to clean 'em properly....

3 62
 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
 11-16-2015, 10:33 AM
User Info
(11-16-2015, 08:33 AM)DrTerror Wrote: Well done mate!,but believe me,those old TTO's hide much gunk inside!,even with an ultrasonic clean out...
You really need to strip them to clean 'em properly....

Yes they do hold a lot of gunk inside.  As I stated I dismantled it (took it apart) and completely cleaned it.

0 79
 11-17-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
I always found BKF a bit too aggressive for my liking,but if it worked for you,who am I too argue!.
Great clean up work buddy!.
How bad were the internals?,I have been taken by surprise on more than one occasion,on how clean some can be,and also the opposite,how bad some are!...

3 62
 11-18-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
I will have to give BKF a shot at cleaning my gunked up razors. 
I've always used it to clean all my ceramic and diamond sharpening stones and it does the best job on them.

3 109