11-17-2015, 10:44 AM
User Info
I acquired 2 nickel plated Ever Ready razors yesterday; a 1924 model, new in a box, and a 1914 in very good condition, 
in a very worn black casket box.  I shaved with them both, and decided to keep the 1924, and sell the 1914.  
The 1924 has got to be the loudest razor I have ever used, you can really hear the whiskers getting moved down.  
A shade more aggressive than the MMOC, IMHO.  I had a little trouble with blade alignment, 
and wonder how these would perform with a Feather spineless SE, but I don't know where to put my hand on one to try with.  
This one's a keeper, and a great little razor.  The pictures of the 1914 are to be found in the For Sale or Trade.  
This has been fun.  To Brian & Freddie, I thank you for your knowledge and encouragement.  Toodles.
Donald

[Image: kuSCrTf.jpg][Image: xLPHkfj.jpg][Image: nQQnC68.jpg][Image: rnwdDWL.jpg]

11 84
 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM
User Info
The 1924 was the first SE I ever used, one that resulted in a sell-off of every DE I owned at the time. I have since moved on to injectors.

18 713
 11-17-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
I don't like to pick favorites, but I find myself reaching for a 1924 quite often. They're just excellent shaving razors.

The Feather blade will not fit a 1924 unless you remove the spine from another blade and add it to the feather blade. Otherwise the blade is too narrow and is not held against the blade stops.

It really isn't worth the effort. If you're expecting the Feather blade to perform like their DE blades, you are in for a big disappointment. I find them to be inferior to the Gem stainless steel blades both in terms of sharpness and longevity. 

--Bob

0 185
 11-17-2015, 04:42 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 04:13 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I don't like to pick favorites, but I find myself reaching for a 1924 quite often. They're just excellent shaving razors.

The Feather blade will not fit a 1924 unless you remove the spine from another blade and add it to the feather blade. Otherwise the blade is too narrow and is not held against the blade stops.

It really isn't worth the effort. If you're expecting the Feather blade to perform like their DE blades, you are in for a big disappointment. I find them to be inferior to the Gem stainless steel blades both in terms of sharpness and longevity. 

--Bob
Thank you Bob,

That is good to know about the Feather blade; I wont be seeking one out then.  I was just looking at the 1924 and the MMOC side by side, and the angle of attack is very different between them.  I think the MicroMatic is an improvement however, because it's just as efficient but not as obviously aggressive.  I would guess it's mostly older gentlemen, who by experience have developed good technique, who like these razors.  Youngsters run away in fear.  I loaned my 17 YO nephew a Gillette New Short comb, and he cut himself up with it.  I don't think I'll loan him my Gems anytime soon.  Toodles.

Donald

11 84
 11-17-2015, 04:51 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 04:42 PM)The Other Donald Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 04:13 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I don't like to pick favorites, but I find myself reaching for a 1924 quite often. They're just excellent shaving razors.

--Bob
Thank you Bob,

That is good to know about the Feather blade; I wont be seeking one out then.  I was just looking at the 1924 and the MMOC side by side, and the angle of attack is very different between them.  I think the MicroMatic is an improvement however, because it's just as efficient but not as obviously aggressive.  I would guess it's mostly older gentlemen, who by experience have developed good technique, who like these razors.  Youngsters run away in fear.  I loaned my 17 YO nephew a Gillette New Short comb, and he cut himself up with it.  I don't think I'll loan him my Gems anytime soon.  Toodles.

Donald

I'm 24-- I started using them at 22. Started using DEs at 18 and it was not good... I really wish I had started with an SE though. They only look more intimidating. They require the head flat against the face so they are more intuitive to use than a DE. They have no blade flex. They have much more tactile and auditory feedback which helps prevent cuts.

Now with injectors-- things are too easy. Almost like a cartridge with only one blade and whose head doesn't pivot. Though there is one that pivots...

18 713
 11-17-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info

--Bob

How about a top 10? Smile
Donald, enjoy your 1924!

8 1,125
 11-20-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
Good finds! The '24' is an excellent shaver.

0 147
 11-20-2015, 06:46 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 10:44 AM)The Other Donald Wrote: I acquired 2 nickel plated Ever Ready razors yesterday; a 1924 model, new in a box, and a 1914 in very good condition, 
in a very worn black casket box.  I shaved with them both, and decided to keep the 1924, and sell the 1914.  
The 1924 has got to be the loudest razor I have ever used, you can really hear the whiskers getting moved down.  
A shade more aggressive than the MMOC, IMHO.  I had a little trouble with blade alignment, 
and wonder how these would perform with a Feather spineless SE, but I don't know where to put my hand on one to try with.  
This one's a keeper, and a great little razor.  The pictures of the 1914 are to be found in the For Sale or Trade.  
This has been fun.  To Brian & Freddie, I thank you for your knowledge and encouragement.  Toodles.
Donald

[Image: kuSCrTf.jpg][Image: xLPHkfj.jpg][Image: nQQnC68.jpg][Image: rnwdDWL.jpg]

I just improved it, by adding my favorite handle.  I think it improves both looks and balance.  
I didn't use locktite on the set-screw, but I don't see me removing it anytime soon.  
[Image: 4FnvZ00.jpg]

11 84
 11-29-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
If anyone is looking for a 1924 there has been one for sale on e-Bay and still is right now for just $24.99. It looks in great condition.

Update:  I ended up buying it myself. It was just too good to pass up.

5 1,537
 12-02-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
(11-20-2015, 06:46 PM)The Other Donald Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 10:44 AM)The Other Donald Wrote: I acquired 2 nickel plated Ever Ready razors yesterday; a 1924 model, new in a box, and a 1914 in very good condition, 
Donald

I just improved it, by adding my favorite handle.  I think it improves both looks and balance.  
I didn't use locktite on the set-screw, but I don't see me removing it anytime soon.  
[Image: 4FnvZ00.jpg]

Now that's a beautiful handle! Where did you get that?

2 132
 12-02-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
I got it on eBay.  It's a Durham-Duplex DuBarry handle.  They were made from 1917 - 193?.  The razors are all over eBay for $5-15.  
The blades for that razor are non standard, of poor quality and hard to get, so people often buy them just for the handle.  
It's very well designed for the small and medium hand, but not for the large or extra large.  
It weighs 45g and is 76 mm long, and is made of shiny nickel plated solid brass.

11 84
 12-02-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
If I understand correctly, those handles are threaded the same as most DE handles. How do you adapt them to fit your ER?

8 1,125
 12-03-2015, 03:00 AM
User Info
With a set screw.

11 84