11-17-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
Hello all,

Over the last few weeks I have been learning what I can about this past time. I have very thin facial hair growth that is grown in sporadic patches. Thickest on my chin and moustache. I am 10 years I'm the Air Force and shave daily. That has equated to a lot of $$$$ over the year's using cans and 5 blade insanely priced razors. I'm looking into saftey DE razors. I want to buy one set of supplies and be done.... (so I think, as I do like the machining and vintage looks and just overall nostalgia of what I have seen I regards to wet shaving around the net) I'm thinking with my growth, a mild razor and blade would be ideal as a beginner and for someone with not a lot of growth. I joke that I must have native American or asian blood in my bloodline somewhere. I just tried to buy a nice thater brush for entry level price on the BST forum and found out I need 45 quality posts to participate there. Which I am trying to rush to get as I really think the ASD2 is well suited for me especially if I can get it as a bargin. Any recommendations on razors or advice on helpful threads would be appreciated. Thanks for taking me in. I look forward to this journey into the past with what seems to be awesome community members.

0 17
 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and thank you for your service! Being new to wet Shaving and looking for a mild set up I highly recommend a Merkur 34C. Fantastic shaver for the price and will provide a lifetime of great shaves. A blade sampler would be a good why to find a blade that works for you but a lot of people including myself find the Gillette Silver Blues and AstraSP to be a good blade to start with. 

If your deployed somewhere and need to travel light you may find shave sticks to come in handy over tubs and creams. They are inexpensive and a number of them are great performers. Thaters are great brushes and though you are unable to post in the BST you can still PM a member that may have one listed and communicate with them on purchasing. Until then a number of entry level brushes can be had for cheap such as Omega and Semogue Boar brushes or a nice custom brush from one of the many talented artists you will find here. 

Again, welcome to the site and good luck on you venture into wet Shaving!

147 3,464
 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Enjoy the Forum! Sounds like your on the right path.

59 4,389
 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN and thanks for your service!

61 3,796
 11-17-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
Welcome! If you like vintage and think you'd be suited to a mild shaver, you might look for a Gillette Tech. They're cheap and plentiful. Astras or Personnas work well for me in a Tech. I like Feathers in mine too, but their sharpness might be overkill given the way you describe your beard.

0 1,055
 11-17-2015, 07:12 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Welcome to The Nook!

0 358
 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to TSN. Smile

16 1,892
 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM
User Info
Thank you for your service.  Welcome to the Nook.......

3 193
 11-17-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
Welcome aboard! I think we all probably started out wanting only one razor. Prepare to get hooked. Smile

0 613
 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM
User Info
First thank you for your service and welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 727
 11-17-2015, 08:43 PM
User Info
Welcome! Hello

82 21,056
 11-17-2015, 10:03 PM
User Info
Welcome aboard colleague*, and enjoy the ride.

If you're just getting into traditional wetshaving, several of the vendors here sells affordable starter-kits with everything you need... and you're likely to end up with more than one of everything regardless Tongue You can also buy from the B/S/T, even if you're not allowed to post new threads there yet.

*) 22 years and counting in the Royal Norwegian Air Force

3 4,374
 11-17-2015, 10:19 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Welcome brother!  PM me your mailing address and I'll send you everything you need to get started.  If you have a EU APO address, even better since I can ship for free.

47 1,903
 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 05:36 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Welcome to The Shave Nook and thank you for your service! Being new to wet Shaving and looking for a mild set up I highly recommend a Merkur 34C. Fantastic shaver for the price and will provide a lifetime of great shaves. A blade sampler would be a good why to find a blade that works for you but a lot of people including myself find the Gillette Silver Blues and AstraSP to be a good blade to start with. 

If your deployed somewhere and need to travel light you may find shave sticks to come in handy over tubs and creams. They are inexpensive and a number of them are great performers. Thaters are great brushes and though you are unable to post in the BST you can still PM a member that may have one listed and communicate with them on purchasing. Until then a number of entry level brushes can be had for cheap such as Omega and Semogue Boar brushes or a nice custom brush from one of the many talented artists you will find here. 

Again, welcome to the site and good luck on you venture into wet Shaving!

Thanks for the warm welcome and time spent on advice. I do not have a lot of extra time, I have been hovering, researching, and reading this and other forums and blogs. I appreciate the suggestions on the 34c, maybe I will start there. One thing is for sure, I need to get something. All this reading and researching is great,,but I need to get a bead on my own technique and start trying out soaps blades razors to also lock in my own personal preference. Right now I have read a lot. Next is to buy. Then read/watch some more material on how to shave with the supplies I bought and then start what seems to be a never ending hole in my pocket trying and collecting all the incredible products out there. From soaps to handles the amount of care and old school personal touch that goes into this stuff is what makes it very intriguing to me. Thanks for the heads up on shave sticks....hadn't even looked at those yet or even know what they are, but if they are great for travel then that was a well placed suggestion. Again, thank you for the welcome

0 17
 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 06:49 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Welcome! If you like vintage and think you'd be suited to a mild shaver, you might look for a Gillette Tech. They're cheap and plentiful. Astras or Personnas work well for me in a Tech. I like Feathers in mine too, but their sharpness might be overkill given the way you describe your beard.

Brian,

Looks like I have some soaps to try Smile I have spent a lot of time hovering in this forums artisan corner. Read good things on your wife's soaps. As for the suggestion on the vintage tech, I have also been eyeing one of those....but another artisan I noticed was called delta six or something like that. That guy does some freaking awesome refinishing. I think somewhere down the line I will be buying a tech or some other vintage razor and sending it off to that guy. As far as the feather is concerned I was referring to the ASD2 and not the blades...but really I have no idea what I am talking about as I do not even own anything for wet shaving. I will take a picture of my current can and mass marketed over hyped multi blade head from the lodging I am in and post it in the shave of the day for fun. I think it will be a good way to introduce myself. Thanks for the welcome and look forward to trying out what you and your wife are putting out.

0 17
 11-17-2015, 11:13 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 07:58 PM)Carbonfreek Wrote: Thank you for your service.  Welcome to the Nook.......

Thanks carbon. Thanks for the pm with the advice as well. Pmd you back

0 17
 11-17-2015, 11:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN.  Just to clear things up, you do not need 45 post and 30 days before you can buy something on the B/S/T section.  That rule is for selling and trading only.

Thanks for your service.

175 23,752
 11-17-2015, 11:26 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 07:59 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Welcome aboard! I think we all probably started out wanting only one razor. Prepare to get hooked. Smile

Dude!

Your SR-71 inspired blackbird is awesome. As I said, I do not have any wet shaving gear and am using the same conventional stuff I have used all my life. I have, however spent some time over the last couple weeks reading around the Internet on multiple forums and blogs trying to see where I am going to put my money to try and get it right the first time. I found a review on here a few days ago about someone who got to test one of the prototype blackbirds. That was when I realized..."Sh*t, I am going to have a collection of this stuff." That thing is beautiful. I also joined your mailing list right after I found out that it was a kickstarter project and you were not selling them yet. The lines on that thing! It's my favorite looking razor thus far. Unfortunately, I have no experience using anything other than a 5 blade commercially sold cartridge type. So I do not know if I prefer mild or aggressive..etc. I actually just got stationed at beale and am born in raised in grass valley. My grandfather flew the SR-71, but that has nothing to do with my like of it. It is just an awesome looking tool. Nice work and I hope to get enough experience to warrant an explanation to my wife as to why I need to spend the money it is worth to add it to,,,what at that point,,, will most likely be a medium to large collection of stuff that my fellow Americans put thier heart and soul into to ensure I feel good about myself and the product while shaving in the morning. This wet shaving thing is what I imagine American products used to be. It's like going back in time and I hope serves as a daily reminder of our greatest generation for myself while I shave every morning. Thanks for that he welcome and great work Sir

0 17
 11-17-2015, 11:28 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 06:28 PM)eengler Wrote: Enjoy the Forum! Sounds like your on the right path.
Ed, thanks for the welcome and for letting me know I am doing something right. See you around in here

0 17
 11-17-2015, 11:30 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 08:32 PM)G man Wrote: First thank you for your service and welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's just a job brother! Thanks for the welcome I'm sure I will be up to speed soon and see you around in here

0 17