11-17-2015, 08:59 PM
User Info
TSD has a useful feature that on the top right hand corner it gives you notifications. For example: Johnny liked your post in SOTD, or Johnny quoted your post in thread: Best brush under $100.

It just feels really outdated that one would have to manually check to see if someone quoted a post of yours or not. Oh yeah and likes would be on my wishlist.

18 716
 11-17-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
And this accomplish what?  I'm serious. Those features to me are kind of ego oriented, I'm not saying you, but in general.

I personally don't need likes or notifications when someone is quoting me. Plus, if I want to be informed all I have to do is subscribe to the thread and request motifications, via email or messaging.

I love the fact this site is pretty much clutter free.

Just my opinion, but I go with whatever, I'm not running  the show. Smile

61 3,796
 11-17-2015, 09:28 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I like it the way it is.

65 5,189
 11-17-2015, 09:31 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 09:21 PM)hrfdez Wrote: And this accomplish what?  I'm serious. Those features to me are kind of ego oriented, I'm not saying you, but in general.

Oh no I'm not one of those yes men that needs pats on the back all the time (not saying you either). It just makes things quicker and so I won't miss people's responses. The like feature would minimize clutter because you wouldn't get people quoting just to say +1

18 716
 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM
User Info
I have seen, the "like" feature in particular, become a popularity contest on other sites.  I have always seen TSN as a more adult oriented site where those type of atta boys are not really needed, but I'm an order dude so.... Biggrin

61 3,796
 11-17-2015, 09:45 PM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 09:37 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I have seen, the "like" feature in particular, become a popularity contest on other sites.  I have always seen TSN as a more adult oriented site where those type of atta boys are not really needed, but I'm an order dude so.... Biggrin

Yeah they are pretty much worthless on the SOTDs but are informative for seeing how much other actually useful statements are supported. on TSD the person with the most likes was ranked. And he only ever posted in the SOTD thread. His SOTD seemed to be the same for years. Arko, a Semogue brush, and an injector Biggrin. I felt bad if someone liked my SOTD and I didn't like back. Some people seemed to take it too far and seemed to actually not like my SOTD when I didn't like theirs  Sisi1 Ok now you're giving me second thoughts about the last feature.

18 716
 11-17-2015, 11:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Not to change the subject but the person you are referring to with the Arko, Boar Brush, Injector Shave, is Nick.   Also a good member here and we all loved his consistency with his shaves.  He mostly posted only SOTD pictures here also but has not been around for quite some time.  His wife who was sick with kidney disease for years passed away last April and Nick has not participated much, if as all on forums since then.  Nick is in his mid 70's and has more important things in his life now, like his grandkids and great grandkids.  I keep trying to get him to come back as I for one truly miss his same old shaves posted everyday.  He is probably the only wet shaver I know that actually saves money.

Now back to the original topic.

180 24,981
 11-17-2015, 11:57 PM
User Info
Likes? Please no; we're not Facebook.

Notification when quoted? Mhmm.. no: the majority of interesting discussions here seems to be simple replies with no qotes, at most a "@" to draw a members attention.

(11-17-2015, 11:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: He is probably the only wet shaver I know that actually saves money.

I knew there had to be someone saving money on this hobby... and yeah, I miss his posts too.

3 5,695
 11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I like the TSN forum as it's. But, that's just my opinion.

Let me tell you a story.

A while ago, I was participating in the Greek shaving forum. The administrator asked the members to make some suggestions to improve the forum. I made the huge mistake to suggest removing the like option from the forum, because there was no actual reason to exist. What happened? The members with the most likes were doing like toddlers.

57 2,300
 11-18-2015, 09:51 AM
User Info
(11-17-2015, 11:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Not to change the subject but the person you are referring to with the Arko, Boar Brush, Injector Shave, is Nick.   Also a good member here and we all loved his consistency with his shaves.  He mostly posted only SOTD pictures here also but has not been around for quite some time.  His wife who was sick with kidney disease for years passed away last April and Nick has not participated much, if as all on forums since then.  Nick is in his mid 70's and has more important things in his life now, like his grandkids and great grandkids.  I keep trying to get him to come back as I for one truly miss his same old shaves posted everyday.  He is probably the only wet shaver I know that actually saves money.

Now back to the original topic.

Sad to hear. Hopefully he will join us again.

18 716
 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
I've been thinking about this too. 
I would post something, and forget about it for a while and when I check my threads later by clikcing through "my profile" --> "my threads" then I see posts that have been posted after I had forgotten to check back the thread for a while.

If someone quotes you, or if anyone posts something on a thread you started, getting notification would be really nice.

53 760
 11-18-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
As a vendor, I personally appreciate being notified when I am quoted because it usually means I'm being asked a question. Without the notification I have to remember to check the threads I've participated in to make sure I didn't miss anything. Not a big deal, really. But it is a minor annoyance.

0 779
 11-24-2015, 04:17 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(11-17-2015, 09:37 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I have seen, the "like" feature in particular, become a popularity contest on other sites.  I have always seen TSN as a more adult oriented site where those type of atta boys are not really needed, but I'm an order dude so.... Biggrin

I don't care one way or the other about these notifications.  But wanting them does not make someone less of an adult nor are they ego-maniacal.

1 796
 11-25-2015, 01:15 AM
  • leefish
  • Pisciform Cavalry
  • The Netherlands
User Info
There are various addons for MyBB that can be used to accomplish this; a like button or a notification can be added. Most of those features use an additional notification framework; this can be a good thing (not using up PM space with mentions and likes) and a bad thing - you have to visit the site to see if you were notified.

The other issue is that not all these addons  work well with tapatalk. We have a lot of tapatalk users.

0 822
 11-25-2015, 06:09 AM
User Info
(11-24-2015, 04:17 AM)Teddyboy Wrote:

I don't care one way or the other about these notifications.  But wanting them does not make someone less of an adult nor are they ego-maniacal.

I rest my case!

61 3,796
 11-25-2015, 07:04 AM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 01:15 AM)leefish Wrote: The other issue is that not all these addons  work well with tapatalk. We have a lot of tapatalk users.

The site should - in my personal opinion - be equally accessible on all platforms. In other words, we should not force people to choose one platform over the other based on what functionality they want.

3 5,695
 11-25-2015, 09:27 AM
  • leefish
  • Pisciform Cavalry
  • The Netherlands
User Info
(11-25-2015, 07:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 01:15 AM)leefish Wrote: The other issue is that not all these addons  work well with tapatalk. We have a lot of tapatalk users.

The site should - in my personal opinion - be equally accessible on all platforms. In other words, we should not force people to choose one platform over the other based on what functionality they want.

We are not forcing anyone to choose anything. The site is fully functional without tapatalk. However, as there are so many users with tapatalk IF we were to implement any kind of notification system then those systems might not work on tapatalk and I just want to preempt any complaints regarding tapatalk. I dont control what tapatalk supports - they do.

0 822
 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 09:27 AM)leefish Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 07:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

We are not forcing anyone to use anything. The site is fully functional without tapatalk. However, as there are so many users with tapatalk IF we were to implement any kind of notification system then those systems might not work on tapatalk and I just want to preempt any complaints regarding tapatalk. I dont control what tapatalk supports - they do.

I have been testing tapatalk today, and was notified of you quoting me. So anyone who wants a notification can simply use tapatalk Smile

3 5,695
 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
  • leefish
  • Pisciform Cavalry
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Yes, that was the point really - that you have to quote to get that AND HAVE TO USE Tapatalk. The site doesn't support that sort of thing natively, though it could, but not as a PM push notification, but it wouldn't work with tapatalk - ie it would not be integrated.

So, basically, we are not telling people what to use/choose to browse the site but if you want notifications of being quoted (not mentioned) then install tapatalk.

0 822