10-18-2018, 03:13 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
(10-18-2018, 12:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I just started using my Geo F Trumper skinfood as after shave balm and preshave last month and I must say I’m highly impressed.
Though quite costly it is the most comforting AS balm I have used to date.

You only need a pea sized amount and it leaves no oily trace on your skin.

It heals small nicks quite well too.

I’m a fan and this is my new stable in my den. I own all 4 in 200 ml size. I like all scents very much. Not too loud a scent yet still quite present.

You should try ABC balms - vastly superior if more costly

3 378
 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM
User Info
(10-18-2018, 12:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I just started using my Geo F Trumper skinfood as after shave balm and preshave last month and I must say I’m highly impressed.

I’m a fan and this is my new stable in my den. I own all 4 in 200 ml size. I like all scents very much. Not too loud a scent yet still quite present.

Agreed. Their sandalwood smells great (way better than the cream). How do you like the other scents?

I would say the GFT Skinfood is top 3 for me alongside D.R. Harris milk and Castle Forbes balms, and it's probably the best value of the bunch. I also tend to get the most skin relief from it after a bad shave from the balms I've tried. I've also tried AoS, T&H balms and ToBS gels and they're all pretty decent as well.

5 61
 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM
User Info
(10-18-2018, 03:13 PM)DanLaw Wrote:

You should try ABC balms - vastly superior if more costly

How would you say the thickness is on the ABC balms ?

25 6,516
 10-18-2018, 08:39 PM
User Info
I've only used Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm, Proraso White Balm, Olay Complete and Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor's Luxury Aftershave Balm.  Of those that I've tried my absolute favorite hands down is the TOBS.  First, it requires very little product to cover my entire face.  It goes on without any hint of grease, the scent is nice and my face just feels smooth and moisturized afterwards.  It's consistency is sort of like a gel.  It's clear with an amber tint to it.  And again, I only need a very small bubble on my finger and it does the job.  The others are all of a creamy consistency, which isn't necessarily bad but just not as good as the TOBS.  Some of them take a while to be absorbed into the skin which gives them a slightly greasy feel, at least temporarily.  I can and do use them all but if I could only have one it would be the TOBS.

1 199
 10-19-2018, 05:44 AM
User Info
Joop milk/balm and Obsession for men. The Joop scent I have made through Mama Bears here in the US.

0 58
 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Abc thicker than GFT but not thick if that makes sense.  And while GFT is good and much less expensive, NOTHING works like abc be it hot humid summer or dead nuts freezing winter.  Worth every expensive penny and have worlds most sensitive skin

3 378
 02-04-2019, 03:25 AM
User Info
[Image: f20a3c3791d45839777641984477d275.jpg]

Another smashing good a.s. balm: Ebenholz
Great skin care properties, biological, nice, mild scent.
The scent is a good match for vetiver or fen based edps, but also good with Creed Millesime imperial.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 204
 02-04-2019, 04:03 AM
User Info
LE LABO aftershave balm ...

6 164
 02-05-2019, 02:53 PM
User Info
Hemingway Accoutrements
ABC
Eufros
Baume.be

I am also getting Sebum Gold and Purple this week, and I am looking forward to trying them!

Vr

Matt

17 871
 02-06-2019, 02:32 AM
User Info
I’m still amazed over how well GFT Skinfood works for me.

I already use Thayers witch hazel and regular after shave splash after my shave, then apply the GFT Skinfood, so I really don’t need a super nourishing balm, just a solid balm which is thin in consistency. That’s all.

And the GFT Skinfood is indeed a solid thin balm. Solid in how well it performs, thin in how nice the texture of the balm is.

I would not want it any thicker in texture.

On top of that my 200 ml Coral Skinfood has now been used since August 2018, twice a week, and I have barely used 25% of the bottle.

This means a GFT Skinfood 200 ml bottle will easily last a FULL YEAR for a daily shaver.

I’m getting a bottle of ABC Apricot for my birthday, but honestly I see no chance of it replacing GFT Skinfood as my preferred after shave balm, but I’m giving it a fair chance....

25 6,516
 02-06-2019, 04:55 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
I find this balm perfect for my skin and needs:

[Image: 29317952128_5fbabff05f_b.jpg]

1 100
 02-07-2019, 04:12 AM
User Info
I wonder what differences there are in the ways we all use after shave balms and how that reflects our opinions on which balms are the best for us.

Personally I have always used a range of skin care moisturisers as the final step of my after shave ritual.

I typically use a light moisturiser followed by an anti wrinkle cream and an eye cream as the final step of my ritual. Unless I’m in a real hurry or it’s very hot and humid, in that case I’ll often use a gel like moisturiser and eye cream and skip the anti wrinkle cream.

The use of these moisturisers means the after shave balm really is not that important, and even during the winter I prefer a very thin balm. Thus my preference for GFT Skinfood after shave balm. In fact I could easily skip the balm altogether - and just use my Thayers witch hazel and my after shave splash - because I use real skin moisturisers anyway, as part of my after shave ritual.

My after shave ritual goes something like this:

Cold water splash on face
Thayers witch hazel
After shave splash (with alcohol)
After shave balm (thin stuff)
Moisturiser (light one)
Anti wrinkle cream
Eye cream

Let me hear about your after shave ritual !

25 6,516
 02-07-2019, 05:31 AM
User Info
Not much of a ritualSmile

1. take a shower after the shave (for practical reasons - otherwise I’d have soap in ears or elswhere when leaving the houseSmile ).
2. dry
3. use alcoholic splash, sometimes (when I have the matching splash)
4. use balm

That’s it.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 204
 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
My after shave ritual is:

• Cold water splash on face
  • Alcohol-free witch hazel (sometimes Thayers, sometimes Thursday Plantation)
  • Wait 2 minutes for witch hazel to absorb and dry
  • Alcohol-free after shave emulsion (CRSW moisturiising aftershave or Myrsol Emulsion)
  • Will occasionally apply moisturiser if skin is required or the mood strikes - currently using L'Occitane Cade moisturiser.

1 100
 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM
User Info
Lately and not in any particular order:
Bart’s Balms
Esbjerg Sensitiv
Soap Commander Integrity
Stray Whisker’s After Balm
A & E Serum 3
Stirling Unscented
PAA Mystery Serum
Wickham Soap Co 1912