Got asked enough times that I thought I would just make a blog about it Wink

http://www.razoremporium.com/blog/safe-s...a-removal/

0 220
 11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-19-2015, 09:42 AM)Razor Emporium Wrote: Got asked enough times that I thought I would just make a blog about it Wink

http://www.razoremporium.com/blog/safe-s...a-removal/

An interesting technique.  We have used, over the years, a similar, but simpler, technique to remove tarnish from Sterling flatware. Simply boil some (peeled) potatoes in a pot, drop the flatware into the pot, turn off the heat source, and when the water cools, the tarnish is gone.  (I cannot think of a serious objection to a follow up of mashing the potatoes and serving with gravy — the concentration of silver oxide in the water is low, and the total volume of silver is very small — but I always have discarded the water and the potatoes after performing this operation.)

1 1,110
 11-19-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
I used the way linked above o  a silver plated NEW I found in the wild and it worked great.

148 3,599
 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
This method works like a charm on any tarnished silver. I have used it on cutlery and on my son's silver plated trumpet, although I do not bring the water to a boil (just using hot water from the tap).

10 96
 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
A lot of us have been using this method for years.  It makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for posting this to bring it to the attention of newer members who may or may not be aware of it.

Polishing tarnish off with a silver cleaner always removes a small amount of the silver with it.  The beauty of the method you posted is that you don't lose plating.  

Oh, and by the way, instead of adding the baking soda to the hot water, you can just put some baking soda into the container with the razor and the aluminum foil, and then pour the hot water over it.  Works just as well, without as much risk of boiling over.

2 1,552
 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
(11-23-2015, 10:14 AM)kingfisher Wrote: A lot of us have been using this method for years.  It makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for posting this to bring it to the attention of newer members who may or may not be aware of it.

Polishing tarnish off with a silver cleaner always removes a small amount of the silver with it.  The beauty of the method you posted is that you don't lose plating.  

Oh, and by the way, instead of adding the baking soda to the hot water, you can just put some baking soda into the container with the razor and the aluminum foil, and then pour the hot water over it.  Works just as well, without as much risk of boiling over.

great tip, thx!

0 220