11-19-2015, 12:22 PM
User Info
Hello Gents.
I am in the middle of a brush acquisition disorder until I zero in on the types of knots I like. Richard asked me how the Chubby 2 in Super compares to Shavemac 2 band Silvertip, and I promised to send him some comparison shots of the knots. I figured it might be interesting for the rest of the members to see.

I am a fan of big knots from the two band variety because I like more backbone and some scrub if possible.
I have tried a 3 band Thater, TGN, Ace Shaving and did not like them, just not enough backbone for me. The Chubby 2 in super is an exception, for me it has great backbone and the knot being a fan is close to the size I like.
The knot IMHO can't directly compare to my particular Shavemac and Thater brushes as they are bulbs and also 30mm knots with different lofts. The chubby being short lofted has better backbone-face feel than the other two. My 30mm/58 Shavemac 2 band is second in backbone/face feel and the Thater having 60mm loft is last.
I have another Shavemac two band silver tip, a 26mm/53mm which is nowhere near the backbone the Chubby 2 has. I wish I had similar spec Shavemac and Thater to be able to better compare to the Chubby in face feel though.
My 30/55 Romera Manchurian, is a knot with plenty of backbone, it has more of it than the Chubby 2 but it is not as dense. This knot compares better to my Chubbt 3 Manchurian in backbone but it has a tad less scrub.
Finally, I find my Chubby 3 Manchurian (only tried it twice so far) to be close in density feel to the Chubby2. The dense feel is probably due to the hair thickness and larger knot rather than actual density of hairs in the knot. The backbone is IMHO stronger than the Chubby 2, and the knot is scrubby whereas the Chubby 2 knot has no scrubby feeling for me.

Here are the pics.

28mm/55 TGN Finest vs Chubby 2 Super

[Image: 28mm%20TGN%20finest%20vs%20Chubby%202%20...vc0fuq.jpg]

30mm/55 Ace Shaving Finest ( it looks and feels 3 band to me) vs Chubby 2 Super

[Image: 30mm%20Ace%20shaving%20silvertip%20vs%20...hrnfli.jpg]

26mm/53 Shavemac 2 band ST vs Chubby 2 super

[Image: 26mm%20Shavemac%202%20band%20St%20vs%20C...qxieas.jpg]

30mm/55 Romera Manchurian vs Chubby 2 Super

[Image: 30mm%20Romera%20Manchurian%20vs%20Chubby...zvv1ui.jpg]

30/58 Shavemac 2band ST

[Image: 30mm%20Shavemac%202%20band%20St%20vs%20C...ovuqvj.jpg]

30/60 Thater Two band finest ST vs Chubby 2 super

[Image: 30mm%20Thater%20two%20band%20St%20vs%20C...ehsc22.jpg]

Chubby 3 Manchurian vs Chubby 2 Super

[Image: Chubby%203%20Manchurian%20vs%20Chubby%20...jknmzb.jpg]

11 435
 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thanks. The Simpsons brushes are clearly more dense, from these shots. What I would have expected.

14 871
 11-19-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
Can you comment on lather release/flow-through. I was a big fan of Simpsons when I got started, but I got tired of fighting them to release lather. I finally realized I was willing to live with a little more flop to gain more release. I love the feeling of a short, dense fan knot on my face, it's just not the most functional.

14 154
 11-19-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
(11-19-2015, 02:48 PM)TAB Wrote: Can you comment on lather release/flow-through. I was a big fan of Simpsons when I got started, but I got tired of fighting them to release lather. I finally realized I was willing to live with a little more flop to gain more release. I love the feeling of a short, dense fan knot on my face, it's just not the most functional.

I have little experience with the Chubby 2, I got it less than two weeks ago, but it does not have issues with lather release. I use circular strokes to make the lather on my face, then painting strokes for all passes, not sure if that matters but it seems to work better for me with that brush.

11 435
 11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
(11-19-2015, 02:48 PM)TAB Wrote: Can you comment on lather release/flow-through. I was a big fan of Simpsons when I got started, but I got tired of fighting them to release lather. I finally realized I was willing to live with a little more flop to gain more release. I love the feeling of a short, dense fan knot on my face, it's just not the most functional.

I have two Chubby 2 Super knots in custom handles and they just require a tad more work to release the lather, but nothing really significantly more than other less dense brushes. It is just a readjustment of technique with any brush to get it to release the lather that you want. Shy

83 21,081