11-19-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
Is there such a thing under $60? That's what I'm comfortable spending for something I've never tried before.

0 76
 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM
User Info
Virginia Sheng, 24mm, IMO

0 1
 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
TGN, Whipped Dog, Vintage Blades, all, offer good brushes.

83 21,077
 11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Simpson Commodore or frank shaving.

7 450
 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
Hands down--- a Semogue Silvertip. I personally use the 730

18 713
 11-20-2015, 02:32 AM
User Info
I just used my wsp prince today. It's a wonderful brush. On the smaller side but great for face lathering. Really good backbone and mine has very soft tips too. I have the 2 band but I'm sure the 3 band is good as well.

1 40
 11-20-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
Have you seen this:

http://www.royalshave.com/kensington-sil...lack-resin

I almost ordered on but ordered a Razorock Plissoft.

1 161
 11-20-2015, 07:44 AM
User Info
Great suggestions, I had no idea there were that many options in my range. I'm looking at the WSP but the Kensington looks nice to. I need to make a decision, I was up late last night looking at brushes and soap which led to looking at blades and razors. lol I need to focus!

0 76
 11-20-2015, 09:02 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
The RazoRock Silvertips get rave reviews; it is my understanding that they are Zenith brushes. Don't have one myself but they are $59 and also may be worth checking out. Good luck!

2 1,180
 11-20-2015, 12:40 PM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
For that amount of money, I would get a current production synthetic. You will get better performance from one of them.

0 197
 11-22-2015, 12:07 AM
User Info
Ymmv for everything but I get way more use out of my wsp badger over my plisson synthetic. The wsp was my second brush and I still use it quite frequently after after purchasing about 15 brushes. I bought the plisson, used it about 3 times and put it in the drawer teen forgot about it. I'd say both are good brushes but preference dictates what you're gonna get out of them.

1 40
 11-22-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
(11-22-2015, 12:07 AM)Stridercombs Wrote: Ymmv for everything but I get way more use out of my wsp badger over my plisson synthetic. The wsp was my second brush and I still use it quite frequently after after purchasing about 15 brushes. I bought the plisson, used it about 3 times and put it in the drawer teen forgot about it. I'd say both are good brushes but preference dictates what you're gonna get out of them.

I had quite the opposite experience.  I got the WSP Prince Silvertip as my first badger, before I knew anything about brushes.  There seems to be a change in the knot on this brush because I went back to the reviews that caused me to buy the brush, and they said the loft was 46 mm.  Mine was 22mm wide by 56 mm of loft.  As you can imagine, this made the brush on the floppy side.  It's great for creams and for bowl lathering, but I've come to prefer soaps and face lathering.  

It sounds like your WSP may be one of the shorter loft versions, which would make it more versatile and would explain why its a go-to brush for you.

Meanwhile, I got the Plisson Synth and I find it to be floppy but amazingly efficient at lathering.  In fact, it's the only brush I use to lather Mystic Waters soap, which is an awesome soap that is known to be a bit fickle and hard to lather.

Anyway, not knocking WSP but I think a synth is the way to go if you were going to have only one brush, especially if you are a beginner.  Just my humble opinion.

11 973
 11-22-2015, 07:55 PM
User Info
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 40
 11-22-2015, 09:47 PM
User Info
(11-22-2015, 10:21 AM)surfshaver Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 12:07 AM)Stridercombs Wrote: Ymmv for everything but I get way more use out of my wsp badger over my plisson synthetic. The wsp was my second brush and I still use it quite frequently after after purchasing about 15 brushes. I bought the plisson, used it about 3 times and put it in the drawer teen forgot about it. I'd say both are good brushes but preference dictates what you're gonna get out of them.

I had quite the opposite experience.  I got the WSP Prince Silvertip as my first badger, before I knew anything about brushes.  There seems to be a change in the knot on this brush because I went back to the reviews that caused me to buy the brush, and they said the loft was 46 mm.  Mine was 22mm wide by 56 mm of loft.  As you can imagine, this made the brush on the floppy side.  It's great for creams and for bowl lathering, but I've come to prefer soaps and face lathering.  

It sounds like your WSP may be one of the shorter loft versions, which would make it more versatile and would explain why its a go-to brush for you.

Meanwhile, I got the Plisson Synth and I find it to be floppy but amazingly efficient at lathering.  In fact, it's the only brush I use to lather Mystic Waters soap, which is an awesome soap that is known to be a bit fickle and hard to lather.

Anyway, not knocking WSP but I think a synth is the way to go if you were going to have only one brush, especially if you are a beginner.  Just my humble opinion.
Wow. Thats quite an increase in the loft. I'm glad you mentioned it because I can't recommend this brush anymore as it must feel quite different from what I own. Mines a nice scrubby face latherer with really soft tips. 
Anyways, it was mainly just an example of a less expensive silvertip badger which I think is quality vs a well known and well regarded synthetic. For me the face feel and joy of lathering is less with a synthetic than with a quality badger. I even feel the lather quality is less with a synthetic (maybe this is a placebo type effect from liking badgers I dunno). 
Synthetics do seem to whip up a lather quite easily I agree. I almost can't imagine a beginner having difficulty with the plisson synthetic and some TOBS cream. 
And there are definitely a lot of affordable choices for well regarded synthetics. Not quite so much in silvertips Smile.

1 40
 11-22-2015, 10:31 PM
User Info
Simpsons The Colonel X2L Best Badger is a really nice brush. I have mine in my rotation amongst my Shavemacs 2-band and Chubby 2 (and others).

0 89
 11-23-2015, 12:37 AM
User Info
TGN Silvertip Grade A and dare I say it, but the frank shaving handles, especially the faux horn in Rooney Style 1 and Style 3 are quite good looking. The pattern actually feels a bit more upscale than the Rooney's do, although at the expense of being a tad less believable as natural horn.

4 146
 11-23-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
(11-22-2015, 09:47 PM)Stridercombs Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 10:21 AM)surfshaver Wrote:

Wow. Thats quite an increase in the loft. I'm glad you mentioned it because I can't recommend this brush anymore as it must feel quite different from what I own. Mines a nice scrubby face latherer with really soft tips. 
Anyways, it was mainly just an example of a less expensive silvertip badger which I think is quality vs a well known and well regarded synthetic. For me the face feel and joy of lathering is less with a synthetic than with a quality badger. I even feel the lather quality is less with a synthetic (maybe this is a placebo type effect from liking badgers I dunno). 
Synthetics do seem to whip up a lather quite easily I agree. I almost can't imagine a beginner having difficulty with the plisson synthetic and some TOBS cream. 
And there are definitely a lot of affordable choices for well regarded synthetics. Not quite so much in silvertips Smile.
Thanks for the reply, I agree about badger feel 100%.  I'm sure if I had the shorter loft version I'd like it as much as you.   And I agree on your judgement about synths.

I love the way good badger brushes feel, and I now have three of them.  But I am keeping a couple of synths for lathering certain soaps (MW) and for when I'm in a hurry.

11 973
 11-23-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
(11-22-2015, 10:31 PM)The Gentleman Wrote: Simpsons The Colonel X2L Best Badger is a really nice brush. I have mine in my rotation amongst my Shavemacs 2-band and Chubby 2 (and others).

I'd say that's a great recommendation to the OP.  It seems to get universally good reviews as a great brush for the money.

11 973
 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
Any of the Simpsons best badger grade would be a good candidate. Thater 2 and 3 band as well but they are a bit more expensive. TGN is always excellent

2 132
 11-23-2015, 07:12 PM
User Info
I have a wonderful Virginia Sheng 28mm ST knot in a Whipped Dog 30mm handle. Has lost 5-6 hairs total and it can develop some lather. I have a number of their knots in old repurposed handles and would not hesitate to buy another. 24 or 26mm may be a better everyday size.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 14