I know some of the brands out there like:
- Mitchells Wool Fat
- Haslinger Schafmilch
- Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore
- Stirling
- Stropp Shoppe
- Tiki
- Barrister & Mann
- Soapy Bathman (how do they lather and perform?)
- Mickey Lee
- LEA (how do they perform?)
- Vito's 
- Calani (where can I buy them?)
- Queen Charlotte (also, where can I get them?)

Can you help me?
Thanks!

Pls check my new instagram profile @barbalogia

0 9
 11-20-2015, 10:13 PM
User Info
I can speak to Soapy Bathman and it is excellent. I always bloom the soap for a few minutes with hot water per the owner of SB's recommendation in his Youtube video lather tutorial. With my synthetics I can load it without blooming but I still prefer to bloom it. The lather is easy to build, provides great cushion and plenty of slickness as well as an excellent post shave. It has always remained one of my favorite soaps but I only own one, Oragne Ouli, which smells wonderful and has a very strong scent.

13 947
 11-20-2015, 11:32 PM
User Info
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of most artisan brands. That said, Barrister & Mann is quite good and will provide quality shave and post shave performance.

3 1,484
 11-21-2015, 05:52 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-20-2015, 11:32 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: To be honest, I'm not really a fan of most artisan brands.

Glad someone else said it first.
I STILLLLLL don't understand the hype for average performance and childish scents. I thought we'd be out of this phase by now.
(But then again, I thought bad music would be over when it took over in the mid-90s. But it's only gotten worse and worse and worse, and now no one has ears any more.)

62 3,004
 11-21-2015, 06:23 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
 11-21-2015, 07:02 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
to narrow it down a bit....I'd recommend Barrister & Mann, Cold River Soap Works (CRSW) and Strop Shoppe SE.  All have their own websites.  CRSW and B&M can be purchased at Maggard's razors.

169 1,424
 11-21-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
Scent is subjective but these are my current top shelf Lanolin soaps (slickness + post shave):
- Strop Shoppe SE Tallow (+Lanolin) - With or without Lanolin these tallow based soft soaps are exceptional. Scent recommendations: Alpine Frost (medium scent strength) and Baker Street (mild scent strength).

- Stirling 2015 formulation - I don't have experience with the earlier formulations but just received some of the current formulation (green tub, very soft soap) and am extremely impressed. Ozark is a great outdoors scent. Sharp Dressed Man reminds me most of the smell of clean laundry. Scent strengths are in the high range.

- Haslinger Schafmilch - A hard soap that surprised me. It has almost no scent (possibly scentless?) but the ease of lathering, performance and post shave are incredible. 

- Barrister and Mann - A medium hard soap that is another great performer. I love the Seville scent. Scent strength is in the high range (on Seville), medium to high range on the Latha line.

1 6
 11-21-2015, 08:35 AM
User Info
(11-21-2015, 07:02 AM)Steelman Wrote: to narrow it down a bit....I'd recommend Barrister & Mann, Cold River Soap Works (CRSW) and Strop Shoppe SE.  All have their own websites.  CRSW and B&M can be purchased at Maggard's razors.

I believe you meant Strop Shoppe and B&M can be purchased at Maggard's Razors.

13 947
 11-21-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
Don't miss out on Cold River Soap Works or Mystic Waters! IMO, these blow the doors off most everything in your original list, both in terms of performance and scents.

0 97
 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I think Lanolin is a red herring. Soaps with lanolin vary in performance from excellent to terrible. Having said that, MWF and Haslinger Shafmilch are amongst my top 3.

17 535
 11-21-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Thank you guys! You are all amazing! I'm loving this forum, so much information and experiences!

Thank you!

0 9
 11-21-2015, 09:57 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Musgo Real Orange Amber is very slick with a great post shave feel.

48 684
 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
(11-21-2015, 05:52 AM)Nero Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 11:32 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: To be honest, I'm not really a fan of most artisan brands.

I STILLLLLL don't understand the hype for average performance and childish scents. I thought we'd be out of this phase by now.
(But then again, I thought bad music would be over when it took over in the mid-90s. But it's only gotten worse and worse and worse, and now no one has ears any more.)

Childish scents indeed.

48 684
 11-21-2015, 10:17 AM
User Info

Same here. Why pay for average performance when the price per use of a lot of high end soaps is better? And they are better, period Smile. I don't know if something like PannaCrema's Nuavia and Tabula Rasa are considered "artisan", but if they are they'd trounce the above options.

But if I had to choose for someone who wanted an American artisan specifically, Barrister & Mann stands out from the list. I am a fragrance enthusiast and B&M is a standout when it comes to the quality of their scents. It's also the best that I've tried of soaps that contain lanolin.

3 1,484
 11-21-2015, 04:07 PM
User Info
I echo tried and tested, long-established, MWF. Haven't tried Haslinger Shafmilch but it seems to get considerable positive attention.

0 527
 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(11-21-2015, 10:17 AM)NeoXerxes Wrote:

Same here. Why pay for average performance when the price per use of a lot of high end soaps is better? And they are better, period Smile. I don't know if something like PannaCrema's Nuavia and Tabula Rasa are considered "artisan", but if they are they'd trounce the above options.

But if I had to choose for someone who wanted an American artisan specifically, Barrister & Mann stands out from the list. I am a fragrance enthusiast and B&M is a standout when it comes to the quality of their scents. It's also the best that I've tried of soaps that contain lanolin.

Well...here you are full circle.  You dont like a lot of artisan soaps.... but you really like artisan soaps... Moot point?

I'll disagree with you and agree with you at the same time-  I really like artisan soap makers.  There are some beautiful artisan soaps and at great prices out there.  I'm happy for the entrepreneurship, innovation and competition. While I don't enjoy the scent of the week concept, I love the artisans who work hard to bring new products to the market.

7 325
 11-21-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
(11-21-2015, 04:12 PM)Csd3 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 10:17 AM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 05:52 AM)Nero Wrote: Glad someone else said it first.

Well...here you are full circle.  You dont like artisan soaps.... but you really like artisan soaps... Moot point?
Sorry mate but I think you misunderstood the point you are calling moot. 

To reiterate, I generally don't care for artisan soaps especially when compared to more expensive options, however I recognize Will's (B&M)particular talents when it comes to crafting fragrances with which to scent his products. Of the lanolin products that I've tried (I don't care for the performance of lanolin soaps - so far at least), B&M has the best soap from that category because the scents are actually good quality. Unfortunately that isn't saying much because the performance (while better than many artisans) is markedly inferior to other products that I enjoy.

3 1,484
 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info

Definitely--with very few exceptions. They really ought to be called amateur soaps. To OP, Lanolin is supposed to be good for post shave feel but you can't judge a soap by that alone. The soaps I've used with the best post shave do not have lanolin at all: Green Mountain Soap, and Provence Sante. I have used MWF and Barrister and Mann and consider them to be excellent soaps. Tiki and Stirling are lousy IMO. Both are greasy, and have awful scents. I have not used the rest of the ones you mentioned. Lanolin does not affect performance, only post shave.

18 713
 11-21-2015, 04:24 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(11-21-2015, 04:19 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 04:12 PM)Csd3 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 10:17 AM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Same here. Why pay for average performance when the price per use of a lot of high end soaps is better? And they are better, period Smile. I don't know if something like PannaCrema's Nuavia and Tabula Rasa are considered "artisan", but if they are they'd trounce the above options.

Well...here you are full circle.  You dont like artisan soaps.... but you really like artisan soaps... Moot point?

To reiterate, I generally don't care for artisan soaps especially when compared to more expensive options, however I recognize Will's (B&M)particular talents when it comes to crafting fragrances with which to scent his products. Of the lanolin products that I've tried (I don't care for the performance of lanolin soaps - so far at least), B&M has the best soap from that category because the scents are actually good quality. Unfortunately that isn't saying much because the performance (while better than many artisans) is markedly inferior to other products that I enjoy.
Tabula Rasa and Panna Crema and B&M are all artisan soaps...that you seem to really like...while you dont really like artisan soaps.  I recall you noted Panna Crema's Nuavia as a Luxurious soap.   Sorry mate but maybe you misrepresented...

7 325
 11-21-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
(11-21-2015, 04:24 PM)Csd3 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 04:19 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 04:12 PM)Csd3 Wrote: Well...here you are full circle.  You dont like artisan soaps.... but you really like artisan soaps... Moot point?

Tabula Rasa and Panna Crema and B&M are all artisan soaps...that you seem to really like...while you dont really like artisan soaps.  I recall you noted Panna Crema's Nuavia as a Luxurious soap.   Sorry mate but maybe you misrepresented...
I'll let the folks on this forum decide whether or not I am representing my opinion clearly. I thought I was quite clear in stating that I wasn't sure whether or not to consider products like Tabula Rasa and PannaCrema Nuavia as "artisan". Apparently you do, but perhaps the definition of what constitutes "artisan" is a separate discussion. In any case, I do find both Nuavia and Tabula Rasa luxury soaps because of their quality and price point (and presentation in the case of Nuavia). Artisans soaps (or at least what I consider to be artisan soaps - YMMV, etc.) do not strike me as luxury because of their lower price point and lack of comparable performance. The thing I chose to specifically praise is B&M's fragrance quality - praising one aspect of the soap (or the soap relative to other soaps that I don't care for) doesn't necessarily mean that I like artisan soaps.

Quite frankly I don't understand why you think I'd find the need to misrepresent my own opinion.  Huh 

Anyway, lanolin seems to be quite popular in a lot of the artisan soaps I've tried. My remarks were an attempt to capture my opinion on the subject (and to suggest B&M based on scent quality). As others have noted, lanolin is not at all necessary to achieving an excellent post shave feel. I personally get far better results in this area with non-lanolin based soaps.

3 1,484