11-23-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
My 12 y.o. Son swears his beard is coming in.  At this point I think it would take an electron microscope to find it but I wasn't much older when I started shaving.

Got me thinking of what I should get him to start with.

I was thinking feather popular and maybe a mild blade.  Cella seems like a good place to start soap wise.  Brush - not sure - maybe trying a variety of mine - maybe starting with a Pillsoft or other nice (but cheap) synthetic.

3 131
 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
Sounds just fine and good luck! Smile

83 21,077
 11-23-2015, 08:58 PM
User Info
(11-23-2015, 06:27 PM)Texchappy Wrote: My 12 y.o. Son swears his beard is coming in.  At this point I think it would take an electron microscope to find it but I wasn't much older when I started shaving.

I was thinking feather popular and maybe a mild blade.  Cella seems like a good place to start soap wise.  Brush - not sure - maybe trying a variety of mine - maybe starting with a Pillsoft or other nice (but cheap) synthetic.

Get him the new Razorock Protege.  20 bucks for an EJ head and SS handle.  

Omega S Brush or RR Plissoft -- 10 bucks

Soap?  How about the Caties Bubbles that smells like Froot Loops?  Or maybe he's too old for that.  ;-)

11 973
 11-23-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
Protege looks like a definite possibility. The RR Classic could sub in for Cella as well.

How about vintage?  I was PIFed a 40's SS that I like, seems pretty mild.

I could go with the throw him in on the deep end method: MWF, a badger crotch brush, Gold Dollar straight (not shave ready), and bay rum.  Then again maybe I don't want to give his future therapist too much to work with Wink

3 131
 11-24-2015, 12:26 AM
User Info
How does the the EJ head compare to the Merkur 33c head (which I forgot to mention I had and could pass down).

3 131
 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM
User Info
Hard to go wrong with a Superspeed, especially if you already have it.  A Tech would of been a good vintage option too. Pair that with a boar brush and maybe a cream to start to make it easy for him and he'll be fine!

0 72
 11-25-2015, 06:20 AM
User Info
I'm in the same position with my 15 year old son, who needs to shave his mustache area every other week. I thought it might be safer to start him out with an injector (one less blade edge to manage), so I bought a Schick M50 adjustable for him, thinking that he can grow with that. He usually uses the remnants of my lather (trying to get him hooked on CRSW as a young man so we can share that addiction), and he likes Sterling aftershave balm (Sandalwood and Sharp Dressed Man are his favorites).

I will pass along one of my favorite brushes, along with the Delta Echo Slim that I bought for him, sometime down the road as a birthday present. This is truly special.

10 96
 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-23-2015, 06:27 PM)Texchappy Wrote: My 12 y.o. Son swears his beard is coming in.  At this point I think it would take an electron microscope to find it but I wasn't much older when I started shaving.

[Heresy alert]  Start with a cartridge razor.  Even the very best cartridge razor, the Feather MR3 neo, costs only $20, and it comes with two spare cartridges.  On a 12-year-old’s beard, the three initial cartridges certainly will last him a whole year (or more) if he rinses the razor at the end of each shave. And with the MR3 neo, there is zero chance that he will nick or cut himself in that year.  

1 1,089
 11-25-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
Just a couple months ago I got my 15 year old son his first kit. 
Started him off with cheap VDH set and a 60's Super Speed plus an Omega Synthetic and RR Holy Cannoli soap. 
He's doing good and hasn't sliced himself up yet. 

I started on the same set over 2 years ago so I switched out my well broken in boar for the new one in his set.

3 108
 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM
User Info
All good suggestions.  I would say start him with a boar brush. If he learns with a boar he will be able to lather with anything.  Plus he may end up keeping boars in his arsenal when he gets older and thinking about his old man when it comes up in the rotation.  I know I do.

90 899
 11-26-2015, 10:15 PM
User Info
if you go with a cartridge razor, get one with 2 blades maximum in it. That's the best way as far as carts go.

I was a big big 6 foot tall 240 pound 12 year old when I had to start shaving. to many young female teachers thought I was a big boyish looking highschooler come to "ravish" them.

A vdh rebrande Weishi tto is perfect for someone of any age starting out, awfully mild device. and do not use the vdh rebranded blades. many straight edge users are afraid of them. id just give them a nice tuck or two of smooth and mild blades.
And get a good soap or cream. A good boar brush is best, and a puck of soap is wonderful. Started out with a puck of Burma shave in a mug with the Burma shave brush, shed like a wet dog with mange, but god it was heaven.

No matter what razor you get, make sure of the following things

1. a well known mild shave
2. easy to find angle

0 157
 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-26-2015, 10:15 PM)topcatman Wrote: if you go with a cartridge razor, get one with 2 blades maximum in it. That's the best way as far as carts go.

That advice is contrary to my experience.  I shaved daily, seven days a week, for 25-30 years with Trac II and Trac II-compatible (two-blade) cartridge razors.  I switched to Schicks a few years back, and the Schick Hydro3 is — unequivocally, and in every respect — (for me) a far superior shaving system to the Trac II.  And the Feather MR3 neo is (for me) even better.  Both the Hydro3 and MR3 neo are three-blade cartridges.

1 1,089
 11-27-2015, 11:56 AM
User Info
I'll consider carts but from my experience I think a mild DE is more what I want to start him with.

I'm wondering if having him 'clean his face' with brush and lather would be a good idea so he wouldn't have to learn everything at once.

3 131
 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
that's a very good idea. If he can learn to lather before actually picking up a razor, his first shave will be much much easier

0 72
 11-27-2015, 08:22 PM
User Info
since ive been shaving if I use a cartridge with more then 2 blades in it, its almost impossible to rinse out. with a two blade you have enough room to get crap out. With the 3+ blade systems since 2000, ill be lucky to get more then one shave out of a cartridge. and sometimes I cant even get a complete shave out of a single cartridge.

0 157
 11-27-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 11:56 AM)Texchappy Wrote: I'm wondering if having him 'clean his face' with brush and lather would be a good idea so he wouldn't have to learn everything at once.

What soap would work best for this?

3 131
 11-29-2015, 08:16 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I would get him a shorter handled razor than the popular. I think they're easier to control. IMO, synthetic brushes are easier to learn with than boar or badger.

3 561
 11-29-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 08:17 PM)crenedecotret Wrote: that's a very good idea. If he can learn to lather before actually picking up a razor, his first shave will be much much easier

Started this tonight.  Gave him a few soap choices and he chose RazoRock Classic and aThe Body Shop Macca Root.  I have two synthetics and he chose the Kent Infinity over the RR Pillsoft.  After a go at face lathering, he did a great job Palm lathering.

Overall it was one of those cool father - son moments in life.

3 131
 11-29-2015, 09:06 PM
User Info
also when you get him the razor, unless its a cartridge have him do some shaving on his arm and wrist first to learn something called proper angle.

0 157
 11-29-2015, 11:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is the Schick I2 Injector that my father gave me 54 years ago and I still use it today. Great razor to learn with and a great razor to use everyday.

[Image: LvcZEFE.jpg]

178 23,809