11-24-2015, 12:20 AM
User Info
Since buying my first Gem razor, I have only used one DE razor and that only once.  

Yesterday I decided to try my Gem MMOC and 1924 Ever Ready against my iKon Tech with an Astra platinum blade.  
There was no contest.  The 1924 Ever Ready was clearly in the lead, and the Gem held a close second.
The iKon Tech didn't stand a chance, even though it's the most worthy DE razor on the market today.

Today's aggressive razors don't compare well to yesterday's, and the reason, I think, is the blades.
DE blades are both thinner and sharper than SE blades, but when they degrade they get ragged and dangerous.
SE blades by contrast are thicker and not as sharp, but they do last longer and they don't become dangerous when they get dull.

[Image: Hss5HBe.jpg] 
[Image: wbOwNsm.jpg]

11 84
 11-24-2015, 06:03 AM
User Info
It's definitely the blades. SEs were simply out-marketed by Gillette or else things would be quite different today.

31 8,056
 11-24-2015, 08:01 AM
User Info
Funny, I just shaved with a MMOC yesterday with ASR carbon steel blade on shave 4. Today I loaded up a R41 with a new Polsilver SI to compare it to.

I really like the SE's and I am getting in a 1914 and two 1924 models. Trying to find some stainless coated blades locally - as I think the stainless may over smoother shaves after first couple and better longevity than carbon steel. Looks like online will be the only solution...

Fantastic shaves and no irritation!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 14
 11-24-2015, 08:21 AM
User Info
(11-24-2015, 08:01 AM)striper Wrote: Funny, I just shaved with a MMOC yesterday with ASR carbon steel blade on shave 4.  Today I loaded up a R41 with a new Polsilver SI to compare it to.  

I really like the SE's and I am getting in a 1914 and two 1924 models.  Trying to find some stainless coated blades locally - as I think the stainless may over smoother shaves after first couple and better longevity than carbon steel.  Looks like online will be the only solution...

Fantastic shaves and no irritation!

Occasionally CVS pharmacy will carry ss Gem blades.  Connaught shaving carries them.  Around 20 bucks for 100 and shipping takes about a week

17 1,297
 11-24-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
Thank you Nevada Red!

I was at CVS yesterday and was not sure if they were stainless or carbon steel.

I checked out Connaught and Ted Pella - was thinking Ted Pella to order some injector blades too, but heard the shipping costs can be high.

0 14
 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM
User Info
As with all things, this is very subjective and YMMV. Personally, I have not been able to get on with any SE blades. I just find them to be a bit too harsh, right from the start, for my skin, whereas my primary DE blade is just so smooth from start to finish, in general, and it lasts, approximately, 10 shaves. Shy

82 21,056
 11-24-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
After a week of using a Gillette HD (mid-mild razor) I switched to a week of SE and it surprised me I did not find the MMOC nor the 1912 aggressive at all. I also think that blades are not as sharp and that might be a part of it. IME not sharp doesn't mean you can't get very smoooooth shaves though.

8 1,064
 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM
User Info
I am not sure if DE blades are in fact not as sharp as SE blades. As mentioned above I do agree not sharp doesn't necessarily mean not smooth shave. I still like my DEs but I feel SE is just a more comfortable shave

2 132