11-24-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
Chris sent me an email yesterday letting me know this is ready to ship home.  This will be my oldest Gillette in the den.  It's a Canadian with no serial numbers on the comb, and no patent information on the handle so I'm unsure as to the year of manufacture.  He did let me know that the handle tube was a little more deteriorated than some of the other razors I've sent him in the past, with a couple of small "flea bites" in the knurled area that could not be completely removed but that overall it came out very nice for it's age. He assures me that these are far less visible in natural light compared to the macro photography.  I was aware of the condition beforehand, but wanted to use that particular handle as the neck fitting seemed to have a slightly different profile than the ball end handles from my NEW Long Comb models.  A special thanks to our member "blzrfn" (Dave) who assisted in the restoration by kindly providing the missing ball end for the handle tube.  So....... here's some Old Type nickel replate goodness.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    [Image: vr4aqA0.jpg][Image: NAuMGz6.jpg]

1 223
 11-24-2015, 10:52 AM
User Info
Don't know why the top photo is like that so here[Image: dgprQte.jpg]

1 223
 11-24-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
Looks as if it were made yesterday. Gorgeous. Congratulations!

0 613
 11-24-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
Thanks, it should arrive next week.  I'm looking forward to shaving with it again (this time with it's new nickel plating).  I had a look at your Blackbird razor.  Very cool. Keep up the good work.

1 223
 11-24-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
Chris does lovely work.  I am sure you will enjoy it.

18 586
 11-24-2015, 09:45 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
That looks great! I'm glad my spare parts bin came through for you

139 2,677
 11-25-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
Beautiful job as usual for Chris.

0 129
 11-25-2015, 07:52 PM
User Info
 11-25-2015, 08:09 PM
User Info
Looks great. Happen to have a before picture for comparison?

38 1,159
 11-26-2015, 11:53 PM
User Info
Sorry guys but no "before" picture.  Just visualise your usual dull, patina covered brass Gillette with lots of staining on the top cap and a few scars and light scratches here and there.  Like many that can be found on auction sites,  most will clean up well and can be made beautiful again by new plating.  The Old Type I just cleaned with some dish soap and a few blasts from the garden hose before I sent it to Chris.  In the past I've prepped the top caps of some NEW LC's and Techs by removing all the surface imperfections with sandpapers (400-600) and using MicroMesh abrasive cloths (3200-12,000 grit) to polish those babies right out to the same reflective quality as a new EJ or Muhle.  When Chris replates them in nickel after that.....well,  it's pretty nice.  Here's a LC NEW that Chris did for me that got the MicroMesh rub-out before I sent it to him.[Image: HlcT9FJ.jpg]

1 223