11-24-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
So what are some of your thoughts on the Razorock line of razors? I'm considering purchasing one. I currently own a Parker 92R and a Merkur 23C. Thanks

0 72
 11-24-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
 11-24-2015, 06:22 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Black Mamba!!!!

113 1,497
 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
I'm interested in anyone that has tried the new RR Protege?   The combo of the EJ89 head and a stainless handle seems like a perfect setup for beginners.

11 973
 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
I'm getting the Barberpole just for the SS handle. The Protege mentioned above sounds interesting.

29 1,776
 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Take it from me, the best RazoRock razor is definitely tgaLFgc8Bxxp56SkbWH35Zrer, so take my advice, get that one! Wink

22 828
 11-25-2015, 04:33 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(11-24-2015, 09:09 PM)chamm Wrote: Take it from me, the best RazoRock razor is definitely tgaLFgc8Bxxp56SkbWH35Zrer, so take my advice, get that one! Wink

Craig, 
I'm not sure that is helpful to the OP.

59 4,503
 11-25-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
I picked up a Barber-pole because I liked the handle.... The vendor (Italian Barber) included an upgraded head (V2) and boy am I glad he did! The V1 head needed fiddling to get the blade lined up but the V2 was perfect! I get very good shaves from my Barber-pole. I would rate it as just above mild in aggression. 

I also picked up a Razorock SLAB from a member here and am VERY happy with it. It has an Ikon handle and is maybe my most aggressive razor. (I'm sure there are more aggressive razors but this one is MY most aggressive). The one trait the SLAB does have in spades is it's audible feedback. You definitely know when you are on the sweet spot with this razor. 

I have not tried any of Razorocks upper end razors but from my experience with my 2 I wouldn't hesitate a second to try them.  Happy Shaving.

0 78
 11-25-2015, 07:01 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have a handful of RR razors: (2) Black Mambas, Rake and the Mentor.

The BM is my current favorite razor period. I have a couple of Wolfman razors on the way and will see if they dethrone the Mamba but it is currently top of my selections. The Rake is a fine shaver, finish is moderate on the head but the handle is an iKon bamboo SS and worth the cost of admission. I recently picked up the Mentor and finish quality is good, stainless handle remarkable for $20 total but I have not used as I am not shaving for the month of November.

Overall, I feel the RR razors are a solid value and I have had good success with their higher end stuff as well.

Good luck!

2 1,180
 11-25-2015, 07:38 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Black Mamba is incredible, but I hesitate to recommend a razor that may or may not ever be released for sale again. (This is not a knock on Joe - I've recently talked at length with someone bringing a different machined safety razor to market, and it is is extremely complicated. Even more so than I had suspected.)

Keep your eyes open - we are living in a golden age of wet shaving, and we have a wealth of choices that our grandfathers would envy. My only advice is that if you're looking for a razor to last a long time, avoid chrome-plated zinc alloy. (a.k.a Zamak) Go ahead and search eBay for zinc alloy razors, and with a few exceptions, (Höffritz, for example) the only ones older than 20 years that look useable are ones that were never used. The Mühle R41 is, for me, probably the best shaving razor I have ever used. But I avoid it, because I'm pretty sure it won't be around when my kids graduate from high school.

That being said, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a really nice razor that will last at least a hundred years. (Not an exaggeration!) A like-new vintage Gillette NEW (nickel-plated brass) should set you back less than $50, and gives a very good, moderately aggressive shave. A modern FaTip is also available in nickel-plated brass, although not quite the build quality of a vintage Gillette, it has the ability to remove any traces of hair from even the thickest of beards. And all of the current production modern stainless razors are amazing, and cover every imaginable level of aggression.

My final advice: don't be afraid to spend a little cash on a high quality razor. Remember, this razor is not part of our modern "disposable society." It might cost you a little more up front, but if you use it literally every day for the rest of your life, it's probably worth spending a couple extra dollars. An extra $200 breaks down to less than 2¢ per day over thirty years. How else do you think we justify to our wives the insane amounts of money we spend on this obsessionhobby? Biggrin

22 828
 12-21-2015, 05:06 PM
User Info
I own the rake. Really nice razor. Totally want a Blackmamba or Baby Smooth, but cant find one at a reasonable price.

0 55
 12-21-2015, 05:24 PM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
(11-24-2015, 06:19 PM)eaglewing59 Wrote: So what are some of your thoughts on the Razorock line of razors? I'm considering purchasing one. I currently own a Parker 92R and a Merkur 23C. Thanks

If I had it all to do over again, I'd find a decent shape vintage Gillette New Long Comb on the forums or ebay. If you love it and want it to look like new, $40 will probably get you a new nickel plate restoration.

Not that the RR razors are bad, by no means. I've spent tons of $$ on razors over the years, and the New LC is probably the best buy I had.

3 61
 12-21-2015, 06:25 PM
User Info
Not sure if they are back in stock, and if not, if it is planned, but I found the RR Jaws to be a great shaver. More aggressive than the R89 but less than the R41. Only got rid of mine due to getting my Wolfman. Otherwise it would still be in rotation.

147 3,539
 12-21-2015, 08:20 PM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 07:01 AM)kwsher Wrote: I have a handful of RR razors: (2) Black Mambas, Rake and the Mentor.

The BM is my current favorite razor period. I have a couple of Wolfman razors on the way and will see if they dethrone the Mamba but it is currently top of my selections. The Rake is a fine shaver, finish is moderate on the head but the handle is an iKon bamboo SS and worth the cost of admission. I recently picked up the Mentor and finish quality is good, stainless handle remarkable for $20 total but I have not used as I am not shaving for the month of November.

Overall, I feel the RR razors are a solid value and I have had good success with their higher end stuff as well.

Good luck!

What the verdict on the Wolfman vs BM?? This should be very interesting

2 132
 12-21-2015, 08:30 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I had forgotten, or I could have posted a while back...

Black Mamba and Wolfman are extremely comparable razors, in terms of closeness and performance. I think I'd give a slight edge to the Black Mamba in terms of flexibility, and to the Wolfman in terms of "safeness." I feel like it would be very difficult to get nicks, cuts and weepers with the Wolfman. That's not to say that it is a "mild" razor at all. Just that it's very safe to use, while providing a close shave. The quality of the shave is very static across many different blade angles.

The Black Mamba is very, very smooth. But at shallower angles, can get a little friskier. I think I might be slightly more likely to cut myself with a Mamba, but not much. The Black Mamba varies a lot in closeness by the angle, so you can get a middling shave with it, at steep angles. But at shallow angles, it can keep up with the closest razors out there.

Both are worth having, neither is easy to find. There are a couple stainless razors I've yet to try, but these two are the top of the class.

22 828
 12-22-2015, 02:39 PM
User Info
Thanks Chamm. They sure are both very difficult to get. Thanks for sharing your insight. I have the BM, and I can tell you that you nailed it on the head. Very smooth shaver and the glide is very nice. However the angle is very limited and if you don't use the optimal angle it won't shave close. One thing I noticed is the blades dull faster in it than other razors! Maybe it's in my head, or the little blade exposure!
I have cut myself with the BMW mainly because I try to open up the razor too much when I can't get the right angle.. Can be tedious sometimes but when I get the angel right it's very smooth and effective

2 132
 12-26-2015, 08:39 AM
User Info
(11-24-2015, 06:19 PM)eaglewing59 Wrote: So what are some of your thoughts on the Razorock line of razors? I'm considering purchasing one. I currently own a Parker 92R and a Merkur 23C. Thanks

I have a Little Bastone.   I like bulldog type handles, so it is very nice for that.  But it does have blade alignment issues, and even aligning the blade carefully by hand I find I'm much more prone to getting bitten with it than with my DE89.  I am not clear whether I have a V1 head or V2 head as some others have discussed.   So I would not say it's a very good DE89 clone, but for the money, it's certainly not a bad addition to your collection.

0 3
 12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info

Honestly the first game changing razor for me was a stealth slant, I was able to snag one of the original 50 prototypes and it pushed me into straight shaving. I sold all my de except that one. then i got tired of the striaghts and went back to de. Although i wound up selling the stealth it was the first holy crap this is what its supposed to be like razors

0 55
 12-31-2015, 07:41 PM
User Info
The Stealth Slant v4 is, for me, one of the best razors out there. Easily in my top 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 21
 01-02-2016, 05:39 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Just mention RR and you will bring a smile to my face Smile. Outstanding quality for the price.  I don't agree with people that argue that it should be more mass produced and readily available. If you weren't lucky enough to get one, you may argue that.  For those that did, there is no argument. The stealth slant and the black mamba are right up there with the best of the best in many categories. The others such as the mentor, protege, slab, rake and baby smooth exceed value. They also beat some of the bigger names such as Merkur and EJ  (mass produced). You will not find a better value than RR razors.The fact that some of them will never be available again only adds to the allure.

50 506