11-24-2015, 06:37 PM
User Info
Been a while since I stopped in life has been in the way. Well as I've gotten more into using my DE razor a few things have come up. One I need to get more blades is it worth experimenting with different ones? I have fairly sensitive skin that is prone to irritation though I need to shave every day or every other day at most. Lately I've been using my razor every other time and using my Cartridge disposible on the opposite times. I'd like to ditch the disposible all together though. Also have a small amount of cash open up I'd like to get a second razor and possibly a nicer brush so I'd be open to budget minded suggestions.

Thanks

Craig

0 10
 11-24-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
Definitely worth trying out different blades. Some popular ones are Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilver and Personna blues. Each blade will provide a different feel and in a different razor. A nicer brush would definitely be a Plisson-like synthetic brush. Softest brushes on the market at a low price. I've used some and my personal recommendation is a Whipped Dog synthetic. Other popular options include Razorock Plissoft and the brush from Stirling.

0 82
 11-24-2015, 09:13 PM
User Info
My skin is a bit erratic, on sensitive days I use Voskhods but have also found Personna Reds, Crystals, and if you hair is fine enough Sharks to be nice.

4 146
 11-24-2015, 09:58 PM
User Info
(11-24-2015, 07:28 PM)merepekking Wrote: Definitely worth trying out different blades. Some popular ones are Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilver and Personna blues. Each blade will provide a different feel and in a different razor. A nicer brush would definitely be a Plisson-like synthetic brush. Softest brushes on the market at a low price. I've used some and my personal recommendation is a Whipped Dog synthetic. Other popular options include Razorock Plissoft and the brush from Stirling.

Very good advice, here and good luck! Shy

82 21,056
 11-25-2015, 04:29 AM
User Info
Thanks guys, think I will pickup a sampler pack of blades from one of our vendors. Any thoughts on a razor? Thinking maybe a slant to try out.

0 10
 11-25-2015, 06:04 AM
User Info
It might help to let us know a bit about your current setup - what you like about it and what you'd like to improve on. Having said that, I also have fairly sensitive skin (especially the lower part of my neck) and find that a mild razor paired with a sharp blade seems to work best for me. My daily driver is a Feather AS-D2 (which doesn't fall into the category of budget razor) with any of PolSilver SI, Perma-Sharp Super or Gillette Nacet (I'm still trying to decide on Feathers). You might want to search for a Gillette Tech.

As far as the brush goes, if you like (or want to try) a synthetic, I think that @merepekking's advice is good. I have a WD 24mm as a travel brush and like it. At home, my two favorites have TGN Silvertip fan knots in them (I face lather all the time).

10 96
 11-25-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
I would definitely get a blade sampler. There is an incredible diversity among blades and without a sampler you're stumbling around in the blind chaotically.  I'd do that before you get a new razor. IMO it's one of the first things one should do after learning the basics. Without doing so you haven't a clue what sort of blade you like to put into your present razor, so what good will a new razor do you? Call your supplier and be sure you get a full spectrum of blades. Be certain that the sampler contains widely recognized blades for both sharpness and smoothness. I've never heard any complaint a blade was too sharp or too smooth. I have heard trepidation about using the very sharp blades, but IMO that's just a mind game as all blades intended for shaving  are quite sharp.  

If your lather is suffering because of the brush then get a new one. Lather making is a critical skill for a good shave, especially for sensitive skin. I would also think that you'd want the sharpest, smoothest blade that you can find. Great lather will shield your skin from it and the blade will insure that it doesn't dwell on the skin putting more time into irritation. It will also work better with less pressure which is precisely what you want. (see below)

Since you come to blade shaving from cart's I'd also be 100% certain that you're using no pressure. Pressure will further inflame the skin. Because of the cart's I can almost guarantee you that you use too much pressure, almost. If the skin deforms under the razor it's to much pressure. It's OK if the drag of the razor pulls the skin in the direction of razor travel, but no inward movement of the skin. Combine that with a proper blade and great lather and you'll get the best shave of your life with no irritation. No pressure is counterintuitive, but it's exactly what's required for shaving with a blade.

Without knowing your present gear we can't give you upgraded gear suggestions that would mean anything. We simply have no starting point to work with. We can guess, but that's just a waste of everyone's time. Too, money is no guarantee of a good brush. A really good Omega boar can be had for under $15 as long as you want a good knot and don't want a showpiece handle. I have a $.50 boar that's quite good; it's far better than the price would suggest. My point is that money is no guarantee of anything. For years I've suggested that it's mostly technique inputted from the user and not gear that gives a great shave. It is easier to get a great shave with certain gear, and some software does produce better results, and after a time you'll develop preferences, but the basics come first.

If you give us more information regarding what you're using now we can be of more meaningful help.

Edit: I see Pax and I are on the same wavelength, but he beat me to it. :-)

32 6,445
User Info
Tryablade.com to build your own blade sampler pack. 

Slants make a great 2nd DE razor. 

Affordable synthetic brushes are a great next option for an easy to use brush that consistently makes great lather. The RazoRock Plissoft looks nice along with others that use that same Fibre type.

31 8,054
User Info
My current is an older late 50's Gillette Super Speed and I've been using Astra Platinum blades on it. I love the weight though it doesn't do great on my neck, my neck is very curvy and hair grows in several directions so even with 3 passes there seems to be some rough stuff every time. Also I get a bit of irritation when using this razor as a daily driver, mostly on my neck. I use C.O. Bigelow from B&BW though I have tried several other soaps commercial and handmade and keep going back to the cream. My current brush is some cheap thing from teh beauty store as it was local and I just never changed it out.

0 10
 11-25-2015, 06:22 AM
User Info
To the OP, you didn't mention what hardware/software you are using now and where you'd like to see an improvement? It would help for recommendations.

The slant is a nice, smooth razor that will give you a clean, close shave. Some say it's a bit more agressive than say an EJ89, but with the proper angle/no pressure it's very very comfortable. For sensitive skin, it's a good choice because you may be able to do less passes than with a milder razor. It's also not very expensive.

For blades, yes, do pickup a sample pack. Just remember that if you get another razor, your favorite blade in your current one may be right for you in the new one. Keep a few blades from that sample pack to try out with your next razor or get extra samples. Joezamboni mentionned Voskhods. Russian blades are usually pretty budget friendly and quite good. I really like the Rapira super stainless blades. If they are not part of the sample pack you get, I think there are some "russian samplers" on ebay for very,very cheap. If I recall they included a lot of blades for around 10 bucks. Could be worth looking into. Search for "rapira", "voskhod" or "ladas". Maybe a forum supported vendor has samples of those also, I don't know.

For a brush, if you're on a budget, have you ever considered a nice boar brush? Once the tips have softened up, they can feel quite luxurious for often less money than the equivalent badger brush. Maybe an Omega 10049 or 31064?  Maybe look into Semogue brushes as well. I have not tried one yet, but they have a great reputation

0 72
 11-25-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
Id recommend Standrad razor,  pure satin tip brush and a nice samper pack. 

Blades are definitely ymmv,  but some blades are liked by many.  Those are gsb,  med prep,  astra,  7 oclock gillette,  nacet and i am sure there are more. 

Plissoft,  stirling 26mm are good alternatives to plisson synthetics.

53 760
 11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 04:29 AM)craigthor Wrote: Thanks guys, think I will pickup a sampler pack of blades from one of our vendors. Any thoughts on a razor? Thinking maybe a slant to try out.

The Merkur 37C and 39C are available for under $40. I am glad I took the plunge for the longer handled 39C. Getting BBS with DE will always be a multi-pass multi-buff effort but I perceive a tad bit fewer passes and buffings with that 39C.

0 37
 11-25-2015, 07:21 PM
User Info
If you're still weening off carts, you might save the slant until later. They're not difficult, just a little different, or at least they were for me when I first tried one. The aforementioned Merkur 37c is the slant I use. It's cheap, and gives a good shave. As far as straight bars go, vintage Gillette Techs are cheap, plentiful, and shave well. My sensitive skin and coarse beard like a Tech with a nice sharp blade (e.g., Feather).

Blades do make a big difference, but again, so does mastering your technique. Personna Blues are good blades at a good price. They're pretty sharp, but smooth too. If you decide you like them, you can buy in bulk and save a lot. I think I got 100 for around $13 with shipping.

0 1,053
 11-26-2015, 06:11 AM
User Info
Great suggestions here. 

I would say STAY AWAY from edwin jagger/muhle Badger brushes... Never found them to be good for the price... 

The ej/muhle synthetic brushes however are fantastic

18 642
 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM
User Info
Very much the novice myself.  Starterd with a Merkur Progress Long Handle and love it but am getting a Merkur HD on Tuesday and am looking forward to that.  Also looking hard at a Muhle R89 with a rose gold handle.  Figure that'd give me some options and alternatives until (and if) I ever get to the point of wanting something custom like a Wolfman.  Am absolutely loving my switch from  the dark ages of cartridge shaving -- best shaves I've ever had.  I really look forward to shaving.  BB smooth, skin feels great all day long.  There are so many guys here with so much more experience than I have so I'll be paying attention in the upcoming months / years for other options that might pique my interest.

Good luck on your come back.

0 377
 12-05-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
Avoid carts. And work on skills first. Try a genuine efforts to map the face hair and obly go with the grain for at leadt amobth. That does mean the neck too.
May seem redundant but if you start doing that funky spot ib sectiobs. One sectiob for each unique area of directional beatd growth you wilk get bettet shaves.

And until you get DE shaving skills down You shpuld avoid slants o. Anything truly sggressive needs to be avoidded. And a new better soap is more vital then trying a new razor

0 157
 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-24-2015, 06:37 PM)craigthor Wrote: Been a while since I stopped in life has been in the way. Well as I've gotten more into using my DE razor a few things have come up. One I need to get more blades is it worth experimenting with different ones? I have fairly sensitive skin that is prone to irritation though I need to shave every day or every other day at most. Lately I've been using my razor every other time and using my Cartridge disposible on the opposite times. I'd like to ditch the disposible all together though. Also have a small amount of cash open up I'd like to get a second razor and possibly a nicer brush so I'd be open to budget minded suggestions.

Thanks

Craig

Craig, you've gotten some good advice above... If you haven't picked up a blade sampler yet, send me a PM with your address and I'll get some out to you.

4 1,909
 12-05-2015, 04:03 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
3 passes might be too much if you have sensitive skin. I have sensitive skin, so I only do 2 passes and don't worry about a bobs shave. Also, my skin is so sensitive that it gets irritated when O face lather, so if you face lather, switching to a bowl might help.

3 530
 12-05-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
It is definitely worth trying different blades,what works well for one person may be different for others.
Try a sample pack to see what works best.As far as brushes and razors Semogue brushes for the money
I think work great and Merkur razors are also great for the price.

0 43