11-24-2015, 08:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Gents, this will be long but please bear with me. Your thoughts and comments are sought and will be appreciated. 

With some diligence, I've assembled the following collection of silvertip brushes. They are my only known frames of reference. I like them all, some more than others. 

Semogue:
SOC 24x53
2015HD 22x57
2013SE Olivewood 24x48
2040HD 22x58

Simpson's (all best):
Duke 3 24x47
CH1 23.5x50
59 26x54

Whipped Dog 20x45
RazoRock Chubby 28x51

Here goes,

I face lather exclusively, with soaps 99% of the time.

For overall face feel I like the 2013SE best. It's a great combination of softness and backbone. It seems almost dense enough, but perhaps it could be moreso. If it could be made larger and slightly denser still, I think that would be my ideal knot.

However,,, the knot diameter I like best overall in my current den is the 26mm of the 59. The 28mm of the RR is just a bit too large for my liking.

As for density, my known frame of reference is a CH1 (Made in England, if that's important, idk, I merely report it fyi). If that is a good representation of "dense," then I think I'd prefer even denser. Truthfully, I don't have a major preference one way or another relative to loft or bulb vs. fan. From what I've experienced so far, I think the 1:2 ratio generally is the right way to go but I'm not necessarily married to it.

I like a knot with some scrub, but definitely not too much. I do not want scritch.

My favorite handle is the Duke 3, but I also like the handle shape of the SOC and the 59. Although I haven't felt one, I think I'd like a 58 even better.

Where should I go with my next brush? A standard Simpson's or a Custom 58, Duke 3 or Chubby 2? (custom will probably a bit too pricey for my budget) Best or Super or something else? Do I go Shavemac custom or standard? Which other makers should I look at? Bulb or fan? Is artisan the way to go? Is it rude to ask for a price quote? It seems like smart business, but I have no prior experience. Etcetera, etcetera...

Thank you, all.

7 2,358
 11-24-2015, 08:57 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Sounds like you might enjoy a two band. Don't think any brush is as dense as a Simpsons chubby. But just my opinion is a Shavemac 2 band silvertip or a Varlet Brush.

118 1,708
 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM
User Info
The Varlet. Perfect balance and attention to detail.

8 849
 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
If you want something denser than you chubby 1 best than the chubby x super is the only brush that I can think of to fit that bill. A shavemac DO1 would be my secondary recommendation to your set parameters.

The aforementioned 2 band brushes would be my personal suggestion as they tend to offer more backbone than silver tip yet still retain the soft tips most of us desire.

149 2,821
 11-24-2015, 11:21 PM
User Info
If you want something more dense than a Chubby, good luck. That's about as dense as you get. Maybe the Chubby with Super (2-band) hair as another mentioned.

You could also try the Shavemac 2-band or D01 to see how you like it. They may not be dense enough for you. I like backbone, but I thought the Chubby to be too dense to where it didn't release lather well. Most 2-bands and the D01 provide enough backbone with just enough density to feel good on your face while still releasing lather easily. Honestly, I think Chubby's are over-rated (unless you're buying one used). Their popularity would seem to prove me wrong, but we all know the most popular or best-selling items aren't always the "best" (this is all subjective anyway).

14 154
 11-25-2015, 01:48 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
The Best and Super Chubby brushes are something I have to agree with you on the [overrated] suggestion. However the 2-band Super is incredible. 

I am not a fan of the wall of dense badger. That's why I sold my original Rooney 1xl, Chubby 2 Super, and M&F 3xl. The 1xl in particular just felt like a solid lump of hair against my face.  The gel tipped original 2xl I've had the honor of using had the same feeling just... More of it.

10 759
 11-25-2015, 03:44 AM
User Info
Perhaps a Shavemac silvertip 2 band, 25/47 or 26/48. All handles are great, but I like the 167. M&F or Simpsons Manchurian are also amazing, but way more $$$.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

0 40
 11-25-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
Shavemac Custom Silvertip 2-band.  It sounds like we have similar taste in knot size, My 26x52 Bulb is perfect for face-lathering imo.  

A hair less scrubby than my Simpson M7 Manchurian, but other than that it is the best knot I've tried period.

54 1,214
 11-25-2015, 06:41 AM
User Info
I agree that a 2 band is a logical step. Shavemac is great as noted, also look at Thater which many consider to be the finest brushes currently made. Can't go wrong in either case.

0 61
 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Many suggestions for 2 band. Are the brands mentioned much different from my SOC 2 band?

7 2,358
 11-25-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 07:39 AM)chazt Wrote: Many suggestions for 2 band. Are the brands mentioned much different from my SOC 2 band?
Softer tips, more luxurious feel are likely. 
As I recall the SOC 2 band knots have changed over the years so its hard to say how much better a Shavemac would be, but I would be surprised if you didn't notice a difference.

54 1,214
 11-25-2015, 08:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-25-2015, 08:08 AM)david1201 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 07:39 AM)chazt Wrote: Many suggestions for 2 band. Are the brands mentioned much different from my SOC 2 band?
Softer tips, more luxurious feel are likely. 
As I recall the SOC 2 band knots have changed over the years so its hard to say how much better a Shavemac would be, but I would be surprised if you didn't notice a difference.

I bought mine within the last year. It's definitely not among the softest tips on my shelf.

7 2,358
 11-25-2015, 08:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  They will all be included as the vetting process continues. I like the idea of Super. The finer hair would necessarily indicate a denser feeling knot would result. Maybe a CH1 in super...  I've seen people use the phrase "wall of badger" before. It seems that is what I seek. In 26x52. 

So now check this out. I promise, it isn't a commercial and I have no connection with it other than as it relates to my search. But I ask, is this coincidence or kharma?

In this AM's inbox was an email from WSP informing that their 26x53 Stubby is now available in plentiful supply. I'd seen this brush before while surfing the net, but it was out of stock, and time marches on, and my burnt out brain didn't process,,, but now it seems there is a serious contender for my consideration. By the specs it meets my stated criteria. And it sure is an attractive brush at that! For the price it seems to be a "no-brainer," much like the RR Chubby.

I'm not familiar with WSP's best fur. Does anyone here have any experience? If it's similar to Simpson's, that'd be just fine I'm sure. How does the Stubby compare in density, say to my CH1 or Duke 3?

7 2,358
 11-25-2015, 02:07 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I'll throw another one your way to add to the confusion: Epsilon 2-band! Very densely packed knots and similar dimensions to CH2. Plus I feel they are a bargain from one of our TSN vendors. I also got the WSP note; I don't have one of their brushes but love the soaps Lee puts out so would seriously consider (and am) picking one up.

Good luck in your hunt!

2 1,180
 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(11-25-2015, 02:07 PM)kwsher Wrote: I'll throw another one your way to add to the confusion: Epsilon 2-band! Very densely packed knots and similar dimensions to CH2. Plus I feel they are a bargain from one of our TSN vendors. I also got the WSP note; I don't have one of their brushes but love the soaps Lee puts out so would seriously consider (and am) picking one up.

Good luck in your hunt!

Excellent call on the Epsilon brushes!  How could I forget?  I literally just received my faux horn silvertip on Monday and it is wonderfully dense and soft.

149 2,821