11-25-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
I first started wetshaving a year ago, when on a whim I bought a Muhle 89, some Gillette Platinum blades and a tube of Proraso Red.

Since then I have mostly moved on to soaps, artisan and luxury, with tallow, lanolin, and any variety of superfats, oils and butters.  The only cream I have left in the den is the Proraso, which I didn't sell for mostly sentimental reasons.

A couple of days ago I decided to do a shave with the first badger brush I bought and the Proraso.  A "nostalgia shave" if you will, coming up on my 1 year anniversary as a wet shaver.

And you know what?  It was pretty damn good.  The lather was effortless, thick, and well-hydrated and the post shave was not too shabby at all.

And the smell -- I don't know what it is about the smell of Proraso Red that I find so addictive!  

All in all, it makes me feel like in year of wetshaving and hundreds of $$ later on some of the best razors and soaps money can buy, I could be just as happy getting great shaves from my Muhle, a decent badger brush and Proraso Red.

Anybody else like Proraso Red?  At $9 I think its gotta be one of the best bang for your buck creams out there.

11 967
 11-25-2015, 02:10 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I've yet to try Red, but I feel the same way about Proraso Green.

72 1,217
 11-25-2015, 02:16 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I had the Red soap early on and I thought the same of it, very good shave, great scent.

7 2,279
 11-25-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
When I first started we shaving I bought several expensive soaps and creams. Now I pretty much just use Proraso Red and Green. Its not because I'm cheap, it just works!

1 7
 11-25-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
I never owned it, but I did get a sniff at a Love Adorned store a few years ago. I believe I then circled the store, then went back for another sniff. I may buy it for the scent one of these days.

38 1,159
 11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 05:27 PM)shevek Wrote: I never owned it, but I did get a sniff at a Love Adorned store a few years ago. I believe I then circled the store, then went back for another sniff. I may buy it for the scent one of these days.

Rob, it's really crazy about how powerful the scent is.  I'm no scent expert, but I'd love to hear from someone who is chime in on it.  I've read that it's not a "real" sandalwood scent, but whatever it is, at least to me it smells manly and barbershop-y in an old school kind of way.  And it definitely lasts.  When I lather it with a badger, the brush still has the scent days later.

11 967
 11-25-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
(11-25-2015, 05:47 PM)surfshaver Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 05:27 PM)shevek Wrote: I never owned it, but I did get a sniff at a Love Adorned store a few years ago. I believe I then circled the store, then went back for another sniff. I may buy it for the scent one of these days.

Rob, it's really crazy about how powerful the scent is.  I'm no scent expert, but I'd love to hear from someone who is chime in on it.  I've read that it's not a "real" sandalwood scent, but whatever it is, at least to me it smells manly and barbershop-y in an old school kind of way.  And it definitely lasts.  When I lather it with a badger, the brush still has the scent days later.

So far I have sniffed five sandalwood products. I don't think any of them are described as 'real' sandalwoods. Proraso Red cream, TOBS Sandalwood AS, HBG Sandalwood AS, Vicco Tumeric shaving cream, and Saint Charles Shave Sandalwood EdT.  My nose can link the Vicco, Proraso Red, HBG, and SCS. They clearly have other things going on than just sandalwood, but I do think they have at least some of it's essence. The TOBS has a nice scent, but is nothing like the others and I don't get any woods from it at all.

38 1,159
 11-26-2015, 12:31 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
The LEA Cream in the metallic tub has a sandalwood scent which is barbershop like. It also has a bit of lanolin and a big menthol kick. I am really liking it.

47 677
 11-26-2015, 02:47 AM
User Info
Ahh... Proraso Red. You have to love it, yes.

It costs ~€4 around here, it's a great cream/soap at a great price. Smile

2 5,545
 11-26-2015, 05:36 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Proraso Red is indeed good stuff and great-smelling!

3 2,626
 11-26-2015, 06:00 AM
User Info
I have had good fortune with everything ProRaso that I have tried and used.  Among the soaps, Red and Green are very good, and soft on the face.  And the green after-shave balm is terrific.

Stanley

2 155
 11-26-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
Though I find it a bit earthier, compared to AoS's version, it's rounded by a subtle, refreshing spice. I like the scent.

0 420
 11-26-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
Just FYI - if you're looking to stock up, TVB Shaving has it for $3.50 per tube.

http://www.tvbshaving.com/Shaving-Soaps/...Cream-Tube

15 1,018
 11-26-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
The red cream is the only one I can't get to work. The lather is just not smooth like the red soap or green cream or soap. Dunno if I got a bad tube or what, it just isn't smooth. The other three have this light slick film to them. Haven't tried the white or blue.

0 1
 11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
User Info
Took a tube with me for travel over Thanksgiving weekend. I've gotten several great shaves with it -- as usual.

14 153
 11-28-2015, 04:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Although I mostly use unscented soaps these days (as per swmbo), P-Red is my favorite scented soap or cream, I like 'em both. I've said it before and will say it again, imo Proraso Red is completely intoxicating. I set up a friend new to trad shaving with a razor, some blades and a tub of P-Red. When he smelled it for the first time his eyes just smiled. Btw, the scent of the P-Red pre-post shave balm is equally as fabulous. Highly recommended!

4 1,915
 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
I'll climb aboard the Proraso Red hype train. Really good stuff, amazing for the price.

I like the performance and the skin feel better than the P. White, too.

Sandalwood is an interesting beast. It's impossible to say that a particular smell is THE smell of sandalwood, since there are a few varieties with differences from the subtle to the extreme. Not to mention that sandalwood EO is pretty expensive, meaning that many sandalwood products only use synthetics, so the individual blend they use makes a big difference.

10 1,858
 12-02-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
I love aerosol Proraso Red, jar soap is a little strong but have yet to try the tube.

0 13
 12-04-2015, 04:53 AM
User Info
All the Proraso products are great.  I have recently started using their ASBs and I really enjoy them...especially the blue ASB.

0 43