11-27-2015, 12:59 PM
User Info
Lately I've seen a few items sold on BST for a fair price and then re-sold on eBay a week later for twice as much. 

I don't like it.

If you have a hot item like an M&F, Wolfman, BBS1, UFO, etc. for sale here is my advice to you:

Be patient. Screen your buyers. You will find someone who genuinely wants it.

The only two things you can really do is: 

A.) Make your price so high that you eliminate reseller's profit

or

B.) Have a little patience and know who you are selling to

-Nick

63 1,721
 11-27-2015, 01:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed, Nick.

BST 'flippers' are frowned upon, as this type of behavior goes against the spirit of our forum and community.

102 18,714
 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 01:01 PM)Agravic Wrote: Agreed, Nick.

BST 'flippers' are frowned upon, as this type of behavior goes against the spirit of our forum and community.

+1 on both points..!! Being selective is the only way to curb the rampant BST flipping.  Not to mention some members stating on social media they only frequent the Nook is to buy from our BST

23 1,385
 11-27-2015, 01:44 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Unfortunately, I've become reluctant to sell an item of value for a fair price to a newbie. If I wanted to turn a large profit, I'd sell on eBay. However, I'd rather sell an item for less than I paid for it so that others on TSN can enjoy a product for a fair price. Until I see that someone has a good track record on B/S/T of not only buying but selling at a fair price, and is actively participating on the forum, I probably won't sell anything to them other than soap or other lower priced items. That's too bad, as newbies should be able to purchase these items, but flipping is becoming too prevalent in shaving communities.

38 5,697
 11-27-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 01:44 PM)evnpar Wrote: Unfortunately, I've become reluctant to sell an item of value for a fair price to a newbie. If I wanted to turn a large profit, I'd sell on eBay. However, I'd rather sell an item for less than I paid for it so that others on TSN can enjoy a product for a fair price. Until I see that someone has a good track record on B/S/T of not only buying but selling at a fair price, and is actively participating on the forum, I probably won't sell anything to them other than soap or other lower priced items. That's too bad, as newbies should be able to purchase these items, but flipping is becoming too prevalent in shaving communities.

Richard you're right!

I am new in the wet shaving, try to buy at the normal price a brush M&F or Paladin - it is very difficult.
If people buy with the purpose to resell more expensively on ebay, it's almost impossible to buy a good thing at the normal price!

3 324
 11-27-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
It is to bad that you couldn't prove a persons identity between the 2 forums i.e. Shave nook and eBay as to restrict them from further purchases on b/s/t. I agree a person has the right to sell whatever they may have for whatever there price. That is there prerogative. I just chose not to buy from them. But under false pretenses trying to haggle me down on my price to resale on eBay shame on you. I try to be fair on my prices when selling here on the nook. It seems to give others the opportunity to try items some may not normally under curtain circumstances.

4 208
 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Its unfortunate that there are a few bad apples in our barrel here at TSN.  My posture will be to be far more selective in who I sell to.  There is no good reason to sell anything to the first "I"ll take it" PM.

For those of you who are relatively new and trying to get a foothold in this sometimes-less-than-sane hobby, please honestly state your case in a PM.  

And to you who are flipping for a profit, shame on you.  Though, I acknowledge your right to capitalism, I choose not to participate in your commerce if I can avoid it.  As has been said, such behavior goes against the spirit of the site and is ungentlemanly.

63 1,762
 11-27-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
I would hate to see a good thing ruined by some profiteers.  In the past few months I have been able to pick-up excellent Red and Blue Tip razors and a near mint Schick Krona (metal TTO tip.)  These were at very, very reasonable prices from fellow TSNers.  I sincerely appreciate the honesty and integrity of the mainstream members, for lack of a better word, who buy, sell and keep the gear within our community.

Hope this makes sense.

Ed

22 806
 11-27-2015, 03:00 PM
User Info
I didn't know this was happening. I guess in part because I wouldn't buy a used brush from the bay. That's sad.

9 1,459
 11-27-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
Another thing to do to help prevent it is if it's something you know is a hot item and will be sold in due time, just wait for a member you know is trustworthy. You may feel bad for doing it but if a new, unknown member hits you up just state there is someone ahead of them and your waiting on them to get back with you and you will let them know. 
You can usually tell pretty quick those that are here and wish to involve themselves and those that just want to take advantage.

154 3,751
 11-27-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
I'm also new (returning) to wet shaving and could not have acquired the razors and brushes I have if it weren't for this forum. If I try something and it's not for me, I'd try trading first. If I end up having to sell, I'd go right back to the BST for the same price and pass it on. Thanks to Max for the suggestion of writing more in the PM than "I'll take it." I've been guilty of that at times; I won't be doing it again.

Thanks to everyone who has sold items to me.

20 114
 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Exactly, David.

TSN is what it is because of its valued members, established and new.

'It wouldn't be fair to cast aspersions on an entire cultural movement based on the actions of a few. To quote my grandfather, 'One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.'
Mos Def

102 18,714
 11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
I hope it didn't come off as me saying that we shouldn't sell to new people. 

There is a clear distinction between people who are just here for the BST and then people who actually enjoy participating in the forum. You can be new here and still actively participate and people will recognize you if they are paying attention.

Also, it is not difficult to match people from here to an eBay account. There's not many matches that show up when you search eBay for "Wolfman," etc.

63 1,721
 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
One way to curtail this problem would be to require a minimum number of posts before allowing new members to B/S/T. I think this is a better idea than to deceive a potential buyer by saying there is someone else ahead of them. That doesn't sit well with me.

50 4,729
 11-27-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 06:38 PM)primotenore Wrote: One way to curtail this problem would be to require a minimum number of posts before allowing new members to B/S/T. I think this is a better idea than to deceive a potential buyer by saying there is someone else ahead of them. That doesn't sit well with me.

You never have to tell anyone that, TSN does not mandate first come first serve, the seller can sell to a buyer of their choosing.

63 1,721
 11-27-2015, 06:53 PM
User Info
How do you think you can vet a potential buyer, looking for one who has no plans to resell?? Sticky wicket.

50 4,729
 11-27-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 06:53 PM)primotenore Wrote: How do you think you can vet a potential buyer, looking for one who has no plans to resell?? Sticky wicket.

There's no shortage of good members here. This is a great board with filled with kind people. There are always going to be outliers. If you pay attention close enough it's fairly easy to tell.

63 1,721
 11-27-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 07:01 PM)NSmalls Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 06:53 PM)primotenore Wrote: How do you think you can vet a potential buyer, looking for one who has no plans to resell?? Sticky wicket.

There's no shortage of good members here. This is a great board with filled with kind people. There are always going to be outliers. If you pay attention close enough it's fairly easy to tell.
I understand. But with all of the new members joining, all one can do is sell to an established member. Not so different from the minimum posting requirement.

50 4,729
 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

I will even go one further...it is grounds for losing B/S/T privileges.

48 20,063
 11-27-2015, 09:56 PM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 07:12 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

I will even go one further...it is grounds for losing B/S/T privileges.

Halleluja!

18 659