11-27-2015, 10:42 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I wouldn't pigeonhole the "I'll take it" crowd, sometimes you have to be quick around here  Wink, but I get the gist.

17 554
 11-27-2015, 11:14 PM
User Info
I don't get trying to flip something in the price range of most of this stuff anyway.  I've acquired a few razors in the wild.  A NEW LC at a thrift shop that had the blade bank and case.  I gave the woman $40 because it was worth it to me.  "Market-wise" it was probably a little too much.  But I've also found a 1952 40's style for $5.  And recently a '56 Flare tip, again $5.  I've also used the B/S/T here and on another forum to trade an R89 and a FaTip Grande gunmetal for another '56 Flare.  I've bought LC NEWs in the $20-25 range and then sent them to Chris to be replated. Same with a Fat handle Tech.  To me,  this interest in finding and restoring old nostalgic pieces of history is much like restoring old cars or vintage guitars except it's cheaper and requires far less room.  Unlike the 1950's and 60's, restoring old cars is now almost a millionaires' hobby.  So let's say an average 20-25 bucks for a razor with the additional cost of replating     $40-50. Add postage to move the thing from vendor to purchaser and back and forth to Chris.  Like, now I'm gonna try and flip the thing for a healthy profit of what?  A whole 'nother 20-30 bucks.  Seems like a pretty big outlay of time and energy to make that much.  I could make that in an hour collecting pop bottles if that's how much value I figure my time is worth.  If you really want to speculate and make coin by flipping something,  stop noodling around with things worth less than  $5000.

2 244
 11-28-2015, 02:06 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
(11-27-2015, 07:12 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 01:01 PM)Agravic Wrote: Agreed, Nick.

BST 'flippers' are frowned upon, as this type of behavior goes against the spirit of our forum and community.

I will even go one further...it is grounds for losing B/S/T privileges.

As a victim of one of these flippers on another forum I agree with Phil's comment.

On another note I question M&F as if they actually are in favor of this flipping.   The other year I sent over 50 emails inquiring about purchasing a brush.  I sent from different email servers and even different computers.  No response, yet numerous members claim they communicate and purchase brushes for resale almost weekly in some cases from them. IMO it seems they favor specific individuals to "flip" for them.  Some how I doubt these individuals will be barred from the B/S/T.

Flippers are not gentlemen, just my opinion.

2 479
 11-28-2015, 08:02 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(11-28-2015, 02:06 AM)Jovan Wrote: Flippers are not gentlemen, just my opinion.

That's not just your opinion.  It's shared by many others too.
I haven't sold anything on flea-bay for years.  Bought...many times a month however. Tongue

48 2,072
 11-28-2015, 09:12 AM
User Info
(11-27-2015, 10:42 PM)Macko Wrote: I wouldn't pigeonhole the "I'll take it" crowd, sometimes you have to be quick around here  Wink, but I get the gist.

That is the exact point of my post. Do you really need to be quick? Is it more important to sell the item within 5 mins to a stranger, or to sell to a friend in 15 mins? My point is that the sellers have a role in this. You will never completely do away with people that want to exploit an opportunity, but you do have a decision with who you choose to do business with.

63 1,721
 11-28-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
I ask again. How are you going to vet a member with 3 posts and what his intentions are? Is the answer only to sell to recognized and established members? If that is the case, what's wrong with requiring someone to establish themselves here on this forum; be it through a certain minimum number of posts, or a minimum length of membership? I understand the problem and the frustration that it must cause. I am looking for a solution, that's all. 

50 4,737
 11-28-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
I really don't feel like debating with you dude. Take it at face value. The point is sell to who you want, not who shows up first. It ain't that complicated.

63 1,721
 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
OK. Signing off of this thread. BTW, that term "dude" is disrespectful.

50 4,737
 11-28-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
Killed the thread...

63 1,721
 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 09:54 AM)NSmalls Wrote: I really don't feel like debating with you dude. Take it at face value. The point is sell to who you want, not who shows up first. It ain't that complicated.

IMHO of the evolution of TSN.  "Dude"???  Did not see this in better times.  As Sgt. Hulka said in Stripes, "Lighten up Francis." Piggy_214

22 806
 12-04-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
Going around that, looking through the BST history and the history of sales for Morris and Forndran brushes for sale on eBay is almost comical in how many people actually flip and how quick they are to do so. I haven't sold a thing on my eBay account.

I have also sold a product on here though and have seen it marked up by the same person I sold it to by 40% excluding what I concluded would have been the additional added for shipping and minus the descriptive characteristics of what may considered potential drawbacks.

4 146