11-27-2015, 05:21 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
So, what's your favorite American artisan formula without lanolin?
Performance first, please, then if desired comment on scent choices/scent quality.

57 2,560
 11-27-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
Catie's Bubbles. No lanolin, but is probably the 2nd-best artisan soap I've used behind B&M.

15 1,021
 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM
User Info
Tim's Soaps, Sapone Di Paolo, Soap Commander, LASS. Lathering is easy, cush and glide are excellent, and after-shave feel is great, with SDP probably the best. All come with mild citrus scents or are unscented.

29 1,776
 11-27-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
Hard question to answer since I don't really like American artisan soaps, and the lanolin causes a further restriction... I'm going to have to say Green Mountain Soap. It has among the best post shave I ever used. Slickness is excellent. It could be more stable though. LASS is also good though quite pricey for how little it lasts.

Scents-- LASS wins here hands down. GMS doesn't have bad scents just extremely limited.

18 713
 11-27-2015, 06:03 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-27-2015, 05:55 PM)fram773 Wrote: Hard question to answer since I don't really like American artisan soaps, and the lanolin causes a further restriction...
Should make for an insightful thread Smile

I have GMS and know what you mean.  Not automatic lather, but not impossible either.  Good slickness and post shave, yep.  Light on the cushion/protection, but that's not to say I cut myself, just I feel the blade stroke.

57 2,560
 11-27-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
Since lanolin is more often found in tallow soaps and not vegan soaps I am going with Reef Point Soaps, which is a tallow soap without Lanolin. I find Reef Point Soaps to be outstanding performers and I have had the Espresso scent in my rotation for quite a while. I can only comment on that one scent but it is straight up espressor/coffee scented and very strong. It is my favorite soap to use when shaving in the morning.

My three favorite American non-tallow and lanolin, or vegan soaps are below.
Soap Commander
Tim's Soap
Catie's Bubbles

13 947
 11-27-2015, 07:22 PM
User Info
tim's and Sapone Di Paolo

16 660
 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
Barrister & Mann Latha. You'd never know from the post shave feel that Lanolin was absent from the formula. Latha is excellent in every regard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,200
 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Soap Commander, Tim's Soaps, Catie's Bubbles, and Latha, but I still prefer soaps with lanolin.

38 5,036
 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
User Info
The few options from Mystic Water are my favourites, but I, also, like Catie's Bubbles and B&M Latha.

82 21,056
 11-27-2015, 11:22 PM
User Info
Mystic Water Sensitive Formula is quite good. I also really enjoy soaps from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.

3 1,484
 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM
User Info
Caties Bubbles hands down. 

He (Chris -- Catie is his daughter whom he named his company after) has some of the best and most original scents on the market that are tallow/lanolin free. LPV is unlike anything else if your skin is okay with a cinnamon/nutmeg/spice blend. LTV is his take on a clean, modern, fougere. If you prefer lightly scented soaps, some of his are purposefully "weaker" so they won't irritate and rinse very clean. There is an unscented version as well, and since there's no tallow, it's very clean/neutral smelling. Don't try tallow based unscented soaps. To my nose, they just smell like animal fat. 

The biggest "knock" on Caties Bubbles seems to come from guys that get worked up over "post-shave feel". I don't know about you, but I shave almost everyday, and I use an aftershave and/or balm to help my skin recover. I have a thick, coarse, fast-growing beard. My main concerns are slickness and protection. I use other products for post shave feel. To me, CB excels in slickness and protection. If you really care about post shave feel, he released his "French+" line which has some added vegan oils. Personally, I like his regular line just fine, and I follow that up with his post-shave toner. I think his toners are under appreciated because alcohol is the last ingredient. Some guys seem to prefer a heavy alcohol presence, which is fine, but his toner has a laundry list of skin helping ingredients, and it costs the same (or less) per ounce than some of the guys offering water, alcohol, menthol, fragrance. Don't get me wrong, I like some AS with the "basic" recipe (I own almost all the Fine's), but I have to follow those up with a balm. I don't have to follow CB toner with a balm unless I was really off my game during the shave. 

-- Sidebar on this subject --

I'm new around here, but there seem to be a lot of guys that think "all vegan soaps are essentially the same" just because the ingredients are the same or similar. I don't make soap, but I sell chemistry instrumentation. One of those instruments is used to monitor saponification and another to test surfactants which means I work with companies like Unilever (big soap maker). Anyway, the point of all this is that the ingredients are only part of the magic of soap. How the saponification process is managed and how the soap is cured plays a crucial role in the final product.

Look at it another way. What all can you make from flour, sugar, butter, milk, and eggs combined at various ratios and baked/cooked in different ways/temps?  They're all baked goods with similar ingredients, but they're hardly the same products.

14 153
 11-28-2015, 06:37 AM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 06:07 AM)TAB Wrote: Caties Bubbles hands down. 

He (Chris -- Catie is his daughter whom he named his company after) has some of the best and most original scents on the market that are tallow/lanolin free. LPV is unlike anything else if your skin is okay with a cinnamon/nutmeg/spice blend. LTV is his take on a clean, modern, fougere. If you prefer lightly scented soaps, some of his are purposefully "weaker" so they won't irritate and rinse very clean. There is an unscented version as well, and since there's no tallow, it's very clean/neutral smelling. Don't try tallow based unscented soaps. To my nose, they just smell like animal fat. 

The biggest "knock" on Caties Bubbles seems to come from guys that get worked up over "post-shave feel". I don't know about you, but I shave almost everyday, and I use an aftershave and/or balm to help my skin recover. I have a thick, coarse, fast-growing beard. My main concerns are slickness and protection. I use other products for post shave feel. To me, CB excels in slickness and protection. If you really care about post shave feel, he released his "French+" line which has some added vegan oils. Personally, I like his regular line just fine, and I follow that up with his post-shave toner. I think his toners are under appreciated because alcohol is the last ingredient. Some guys seem to prefer a heavy alcohol presence, which is fine, but his toner has a laundry list of skin helping ingredients, and it costs the same (or less) per ounce than some of the guys offering water, alcohol, menthol, fragrance. Don't get me wrong, I like some AS with the "basic" recipe (I own almost all the Fine's), but I have to follow those up with a balm. I don't have to follow CB toner with a balm unless I was really off my game during the shave. 

-- Sidebar on this subject --

I'm new around here, but there seem to be a lot of guys that think "all vegan soaps are essentially the same" just because the ingredients are the same or similar. I don't make soap, but I sell chemistry instrumentation. One of those instruments is used to monitor saponification and another to test surfactants which means I work with companies like Unilever (big soap maker). Anyway, the point of all this is that the ingredients are only part of the magic of soap. How the saponification process is managed and how the soap is cured plays a crucial role in the final product.

Look at it another way. What all can you make from flour, sugar, butter, milk, and eggs combined at various ratios and baked/cooked in different ways/temps?  They're all baked goods with similar ingredients, but they're hardly the same products.

Points bolded, to be addressed.

Post-shave - CB has excellent post-shave feel to me, comparable to any of the great tallow, shea butter, lanolin, beeswax, virgin tears, yada yada soaps out there. I find it quite ingenious, and a triumph of simplicity, to have such a well-rounded soap with so few ingredients.

Vegan soaps - That is the opinion of the uneducated. You can make soap a million different ways using just coconut oil, stearic acid, KOH, water, and glycerin. This is the 5-ingredient base behind LA Shaving Soap, Martin de Candre, WSP Rustic, Catie's Bubbles, and a host of others. Obviously all of these soaps are different in both structure and performance, and that's due to the proportion of things. I've talked to more than a few soapmakers whose products are quite popular here, and they've told me the stearic:coconut ratio can vary significantly from soapmaker to soapmaker. So yes, just because something has the same ingredients it does not mean it's the same thing.

15 1,021
 11-28-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
crazindndude, I agree. I've never had a problem with the post shave feel of Chris's original French formula, and I have relatively sensitive/dry skin. I know we all have different skin types, water hardness, etc. but I'm always surprised when I hear guys "complain" about the post shave feel of CB. There are many soaps I enjoy that should they fold-up shop, I wouldn't be too concerned. If Chris stops making shave soap, I would buy every tub I could find. And since there is no tallow, lanolin, etc. they should keep a very long time.

14 153