11-28-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
I'm wondering if anyone else has followed a similar transition. 

When I started shaving like this many years ago, I bowl lathered because it was "easier". After a while, I "graduated" to face lathering, and I've been doing that most of the time I've been traditional wet shaving. Here recently, I've been using a bowl again, and I've found I have better control over the lather and it holds up for the second and touch-up passes better. I like face lathering because you can feel when the lather has enough water, but I feel like I use 65-75% of my lather on the first pass when I face lather (unless I use a huge knot, which I don't like). 

I'm just curious if anyone else has returned to bowl lathering after "mastering" face lathering.

14 153
 11-28-2015, 08:17 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Oddly enough,  I started out face lathering  because I thought that was easier, as did one or two sites that gave any advice on how to begin.  But now it doesn't matter  and I lather one way as often as the other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7 2,281
 11-28-2015, 08:30 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I started out face lathering many years ago and tried bowl lathering a few years ago. The bowl lathering did not last long as it added nothing to my shaving routine so I went back to face lathering pretty quickly.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-28-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
I, also, started off bowl-lathering, but once I tried face-lathering, there was no comparison, really, for me.
I enjoy the time I am allowed on my face with my brush and I have perfected my technique where I can control the amount of lather I get for a three-pass shave with plenty left over.

It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you are enjoying making lather and your shaves! Thumbup

82 21,056
 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(11-28-2015, 09:21 AM)celestino Wrote: It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you are enjoying making lather and your shaves! Thumbup

+1 to that

Bob

0 1,694
 11-28-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
I like facelathering better. I don't only when my skin is dry (for some reason) and for those cases I've found palm lathering works better for me.
Bowl has only seen recent use for breaking in a boar brush. Lather was not used for shaving and I didn't like the resulting lather.

8 1,062
 11-28-2015, 09:41 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I started out face lathering 53 years ago, and it continues to be my primary method. However, when I occasionally use a cream, I will often bowl lather, and perhaps a couple of times per month in the winter will drag out my scuttle for warm lather.

38 5,032
 11-28-2015, 01:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Started with the bowl, but now I only face lather. My bowl, which is actually a  big and heavy coffee cup, is used only to soak the brush and to clean it. For the same amount of time I spent making lather in a bowl, I now spend it on my face, saturating and lifting my whiskers. Always seem to have enough for 3 passes and touch-ups if necessary.  Plus, I just like how the brush feels great on my skin while building lather.

4 1,925
 11-28-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 01:57 PM)chazt Wrote: Started with the bowl, but now I only face lather. My bowl, which is actually a  big and heavy coffee cup, is used only to soak the brush and to clean it. For the same amount of time I spent making lather in a bowl, I now spend it on my face, saturating and lifting my whiskers. Always seem to have enough for 3 passes and touch-ups if necessary.  Plus, I just like how the brush feels great on my skin while building lather.
Signs011

39 3,876
 11-28-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
I've had a similar experience to the OP. I started out using a cereal bowl, mostly because I was concerned the brush would be a bit too rough to face lather. Once my brush was broken in, I moved to face lathering and didn't look back. It just seemed like one less thing to prepare and clean. Recently though, I bought the Aesop bowl because I liked the look of it, and I use that occasionally.

7 279
 11-28-2015, 02:55 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Why limit yourself?

7 2,281
 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
Pretty much 100% bowl lathering.  Just like the control I have with the lather but as Mouser said - you can do both.  Nice thing is there are no rules.  Biggrin

4 465
 11-28-2015, 03:32 PM
User Info
I did face lather for a while until I noticed that too much warm water prep and face lathering were actually giving me some irritation.  I bought a Captain's Choice bowl and now use it for creams from the tube with my brush loaded from a tub of soap.  I build the lather in the bowl, but still work the lather a bit on my face before shaving, just not so much that I scrub my skin into soreness. For me an adequate, rather than excessive amount of prep produces the best results. I also think the rings on the bottom of the bowl will help break in the boars I use.  By the way, mixing Proraso Green cream from the tube with Proraso White soap from the tub is a great combination.

1 220
 11-28-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
I only face lather now.

Started out with the bowl and scuttle, but now it's only face lathering.

24 5,843
 11-28-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
Bowl lather in the winter... Mostly with my scuttle.

Summer it's split for me.

If, however, you find that you don't have enough to do multiple passes after, try loading more product.

18 642
 11-28-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 03:32 PM)Laird Wrote: I did face lather for a while until I noticed that too much warm water prep and face lathering were actually giving me some irritation.  I bought a Captain's Choice bowl and now use it for creams from the tube with my brush loaded from a tub of soap.  I build the lather in the bowl, but still work the lather a bit on my face before shaving, just not so much that I scrub my skin into soreness. For me an adequate, rather than excessive amount of prep produces the best results. I also think the rings on the bottom of the bowl will help break in the boars I use.  By the way, mixing Proraso Green cream from the tube with Proraso White soap from the tub is a great combination.

Those new Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band knots won't irritate your face if you face-lather. Angel

82 21,056
 11-28-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
Face - bowl - face

0 26
 11-28-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
I can relate to this experience.

When I face lather, first pass lather is creamy, thick, maybe sometimes too thick, but second and third are too thinned out.
And with some soaps, face lathering results in too pasty lather, so I like to change it up and use bowl time to time.

53 760
 11-28-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
I started out with a bowl, because it seemed easier to learn that way.  Bowl lathering is still my primary method, but I do mix in a face lather, particularly with a synthetic brush.  It's nice on the face, but it also seems like it lathers better on my face than in a bowl, if that makes sense.

0 1,053
 11-29-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 04:57 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: I can relate to this experience.

When I face lather, first pass lather is creamy, thick, maybe sometimes too thick, but second and third are too thinned out.
And with some soaps, face lathering results in too pasty lather, so I like to change it up and use bowl time to time.

This is my experience. No matter how much product and water I use, somewhere around 80% of it is used up with the first pass. The problem isn't as noticable with badger brushes, which is what I mainly use, but this past month I've been on a "boar kick" and it's really noticeable with those. The same boar brush that can give me enough lather for 3-4 passes when lathered with a bowl barely gives me enough for 2 when I face lather (and the second lather is pretty sad).

14 153