11-28-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
I used my no serial number no patent date old type open comb. two passes. hadn't shaved in 2 days.

The handle is cracked but usable. The thing is it was smoother and more gentle on my face then my slims. How?

0 157
 11-28-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 04:02 PM)topcatman Wrote: I used my no serial number no patent date old type open comb. two passes. hadn't shaved in 2 days.

The handle is cracked but usable. The thing is it was smoother and more gentle on my face then my slims. How?

Maybe, your technique has improved or you just get on better with open-combs. Keep experimenting and see if it continues.

I don't get on with any TTOs, so I don't use them.

83 21,110
 11-28-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
(11-28-2015, 04:54 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-28-2015, 04:02 PM)topcatman Wrote: I used my no serial number no patent date old type open comb. two passes. hadn't shaved in 2 days.

Maybe, your technique has improved or you just get on better with open-combs. Keep experimenting and see if it continues.

I don't get on with any TTOs, so I don't use them.

Same here for me, maybe they allow the blade to vibrate too much, personally prefer 3-piece designs myself  (like my New Improved).

54 1,214
 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM
User Info
two passes with the old type got me awful close shave, but I still did a final pass with my travel tech, didn't want to waste lather and well I like making passes.

The slims and flare are ok shavers, but they leave me abused and looking like an albino kid with a really bad sunburned face. Sure they get awful close on 3 and get my face super smooth, but its not worth the pain. I really want to make them work or trade them off for blades or cased sets of standard 3 or 2 piece gillettes.

0 157
 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
My observation is that there may be two or three reasons.

First, and I think most likely, the Gillette adjustables seem to have a much steeper blade angle the higher the setting.  In other words, the blade is more perpendicular to the face, making it more difficult for the blade to cut.  

Second, the blade angle on the Old Type is forced to conform with the base plate, leaving less blade exposure, and a shallower angle.  This may be tied to your technique; if improved and very shallow blade angle can work very well with the Old Type.  The smaller blade exposure can also make up for a steeper blade angle to help reduce irritation.  One of the virtues of open comb design is that the blade will still cut hair when it would not otherwise be exposed with a solid bar.

Third, I think that three piece razors tend to hold the blade with more rigidity and stability than the twist to open designs, which prevents the blade from flexing just a little, which might cause tugging and the like.  SE razors tend to provide less irritation due to more rigid blade construction for me.  On the more aggressive settings on an adjustable, the blade is also not as tightly held.

YMMV of course.  My Super Adjustables seem to be more smooth than my Slims in spite of these characteristics.

29 257
 11-29-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
my super adjustable is a 69 gold plate, I love that thing. haven't used it much do to trying to figure out my slims and flare, but it shaves so good.

the slims and flare on setting of 3 get more hair off my face. I mean its like they slice off more skin in a single pass like a cartridge does to me.

I started out with a weishi and the SA and OT and new improved have very similar balance, weight, and handling charecteristics. The slims and flare are very close, but they have a strange angle to the blade, compared to the SA at 3 that is bizarre.

0 157