07-07-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
I have observed that Omega brushes get scant respect on the shaving forums, and I wonder why. They make excellent brushes. Every Omega I've ever had has been great, and some have been superb.

At the moment, I have two Omega brushes. The large Professional boar, and the small boar/badger Mighty Midget.

[Image: IMG_20120707_085001.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120707_085024.jpg]

The Pro is huge, of course, but it has a really comfortable handle and the knot is better than any boar brush I've ever used (including all my Semogues). You can face lather with it, but it really is meant for bowl lathering, in which case it is right up there with brushes that cost 10-20 times as much.

The Mighty Midget is highly regarded, and for good reason. I prefer this to all the small brushes I've tried, and that includes the Wee Scot. The handle on this brush will stand against any brush, and as a face-lathering brush, this is just plain superb.

I don't have any badger-only Omegas at the moment, but I had one of the resin handled ones, and it was really nice. Not as good as my Simpsons, but then it wasn't anywhere near as expensive.

Anyway, I think Omega gets a bum deal on the forums. No respect - maybe because they're a big company, and more mass-market than Semogue. Their handles (especially on the Pro series) are 'industrial' and not pretty, though some of their other brushes have nice enough handles.

However, I'll go on record and state that this Pro boar is easily the best boar brush I've ever used (for me), and that includes the Semogue 2009 LE, 2011 LE's, B&B LE and any of the production Semogues.

Now, I'm not trying to start an Omega vs. Semogue war here. Brushes are a very personal issue, and this is only my opinion. I like the Semogue handles and some of the knots, but I don't like any of them more than I like this Omega.

I'll also state that the Mighty Midget is easier for me to face-lather with than any Semogue I've tried. Precise, easy to build a lather with, and nice on the face.

If you're new to wetshaving and looking for a brush on a budget, you'll get plenty of votes for Frank Shaving, Semogue, etc. - and for good reason. However, both the brushes shown here care available for about $14 and you'll be hard-pressed to match them........at any price.

A big thumbs-up for Omega! Thumbup

37 1,731
 07-07-2012, 05:19 AM
User Info
Thanks Yohann. The only reason I,ve not tried an Omega is because I haven't seen a handle of theirs that I really like. Their knots usually get good reviews from what I've read.

31 7,914
 07-07-2012, 05:30 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I have an Omega Pro and it's a fine brush. I think most people view them as cheap because of their plastic handles.
Omega Pro with a soon to be Russian Olive handle.
[Image: reworking_an_Omega_Pro_002.jpg]
free image hosting

12 743
 07-07-2012, 05:34 AM
User Info
Yep, I'm not as focused on the handle as some people are. As long as the handle on my brush is comfortable, I'm happy. Though I will say that I really like the handles on the SOC brushes - pretty and comfortable. I find the Omega handles to be comfortable.

37 1,731
 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My very first boar was an Omega 10005 followed by an Omega 49. Both are in storage, in their original tubes, in a box, in the top of my closet. After I bought my first Semogue, that was it, I was hooked. But as you say, it is just a personal preference.

I do have a Omega #45 ordered on the recommendation of Emanuel. So we will see.

173 23,553
 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM
User Info
(07-07-2012, 05:11 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I have observed that Omega brushes get scant respect on the shaving forums, and I wonder why. They make excellent brushes. Every Omega I've ever had has been great, and some have been superb.

At the moment, I have two Omega brushes. The large Professional boar, and the small boar/badger Mighty Midget.

[Image: IMG_20120707_085001.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120707_085024.jpg]

The Pro is huge, of course, but it has a really comfortable handle and the knot is better than any boar brush I've ever used (including all my Semogues). You can face lather with it, but it really is meant for bowl lathering, in which case it is right up there with brushes that cost 10-20 times as much.

The Mighty Midget is highly regarded, and for good reason. I prefer this to all the small brushes I've tried, and that includes the Wee Scot. The handle on this brush will stand against any brush, and as a face-lathering brush, this is just plain superb.

I don't have any badger-only Omegas at the moment, but I had one of the resin handled ones, and it was really nice. Not as good as my Simpsons, but then it wasn't anywhere near as expensive.

Anyway, I think Omega gets a bum deal on the forums. No respect - maybe because they're a big company, and more mass-market than Semogue. Their handles (especially on the Pro series) are 'industrial' and not pretty, though some of their other brushes have nice enough handles.

However, I'll go on record and state that this Pro boar is easily the best boar brush I've ever used (for me), and that includes the Semogue 2009 LE, 2011 LE's, B&B LE and any of the production Semogues.

Now, I'm not trying to start an Omega vs. Semogue war here. Brushes are a very personal issue, and this is only my opinion. I like the Semogue handles and some of the knots, but I don't like any of them more than I like this Omega.

I'll also state that the Mighty Midget is easier for me to face-lather with than any Semogue I've tried. Precise, easy to build a lather with, and nice on the face.

If you're new to wetshaving and looking for a brush on a budget, you'll get plenty of votes for Frank Shaving, Semogue, etc. - and for good reason. However, both the brushes shown here care available for about $14 and you'll be hard-pressed to match them........at any price.

A big thumbs-up for Omega! Thumbup
I, too, am very big on Omega boar brushes. Indeed, my Omegas outperform and are more comfortable than my sole Semogue, but of course YMMV. Re handles, here's a picture of the Omega 31025:

0 7
 07-07-2012, 09:04 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-07-2012, 05:11 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: The Mighty Midget is highly regarded, and for good reason. I prefer this to all the small brushes I've tried, and that includes the Wee Scot. The handle on this brush will stand against any brush, and as a face-lathering brush, this is just plain superb.

Hi Yohann

My Omega 11047 may not have its original knot, but it's still a dynamite shaving brush...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-07-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
They are very decent brushes.

75 20,883
 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
Though I prefer my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood boar brush to my Omega Mighty Midget, I love my Mighty Midget. It's a $13 brush, yet it's far and away better than my Edwin Jagger "best" badger brush which cost me about $50.

I plan on adding more Omega (and Semogue) brushes to my collection in the near future.

0 214
 07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
User Info
I have a very positive mindset about Omega brushes because of the price vs quality. Even my inexpensive $8 10019 boar has the quality where it needs to be and not where it doesn't count. And I can't be more impressed with the design and execution of the 599 silvertip. It's precisely what it needs to be for a decent price.

Edit: fixed some misspellings

32 6,311
 07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
User Info
I have an Omega 63167 pure badger and an Omega 11047 Mighty Midget mixed. Both lather easily and I enjoy each one. The Mighty Midget, IMHO, dollar for dollar, is one of the best values on the market. I have a few Vulfix (boars) and Simpsons (badgers) brushes. However, Semogues are my favorite go-to brushes. One of the nice points is that we have many choices/prices ranges and are able to acquire the products that suit us the best.

Take care,
Ed

19 697
 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
I have an Omega 10005 boar brush that does an outstanding job. Very nice, and affordable.

0 282
 07-07-2012, 11:36 PM
User Info
(07-07-2012, 05:30 AM)oscar11 Wrote: I have an Omega Pro and it's a fine brush. I think most people view them as cheap because of their plastic handles.
Omega Pro with a soon to be Russian Olive handle.
[Image: reworking_an_Omega_Pro_002.jpg]
free image hosting

Nice to see you here Steve!

I think the cheap factor plays into it, but at the same time, Semogue's are not overly expensive in most cases either...

I know their badger offerings get a bum rap because they're "Floppy" but really they work fine if you're not a brush snob. Cool

0 652
 07-08-2012, 12:22 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Yohann, I agree with you. Omega boars are excellent brushes. I only have one 10275, which is very inexpensive and i like it a lot. It has a permanent place in my rotation. I also bought an omega "kit" as a gift for my nephew and that has a tub of croap and a brush. I tried that brush and out of the box with no break-in it performed very well and felt great. the handle felt hollow and cheap, which is normal on low end Omegas, but the knot was top notch.

I recently tried Semogues (I bought a 1305 and a 1470) and I really like both of them (1305 had to go simply because of its size. I am definitely liking smaller face lathering brushes). I can see the Semogue appeal. They are beautifully made and have very excellent knots on them. The whole product just oozes charm. Omegas lack that, but they do not lack performance and value. I was so impressed with my 10275 that I had to go into more boar exploration and that's when Semogues came in. They too are amazing values. The breadth of offerings by Omega is a bit overwhelming, whereas Semogues have a much more limited product line. To me that's kind of a plus, but to some a minus. Anyway, in performance and quality Omega is an outstanding value and I am also a bit surprised why more people don't rave about them. I have not tried the mixed hair brush (mighty midget), but if the mix makes it a bit easier to use the brush right out of the box (kind of like a badger), it should be a number one starting bush for a new wet shaver. For under $15 you simply can not buy anything close in badger and a pure boar bristle brush needs time to become really serviceable, which for a new wet shaver is not a good thing to deal with. Many beginners choose the Tweezerman pure badger for under $20 and the mighty midget is probably a better brush (not knocking the cheap badgers, I think it's awesome that they exist and provide good entry point). As far as quality of boar knots on Omega vs. Semogue, well, the jury is still out for me. I have a Semogue 1470 and an Omega 10275 and they are very similar in size of knot/loft, but very different in character. First of all, the Semogue just does not seem to want to break in. I've had it for over a month and it's still not broken in. The Omega was also a bit stubborn, but in about two-three weeks of daily latherings it just one day became broken in suddenly and since then I've been just loving using it. Semogue is a much denser and stiffer brush, has a wooden handle and a steel retaining ring, has an aura of a custom made beauty, but is still not in rotation because it's still resisting the breaking in process. I am not in a rush and I got patience for it (I think it will be a killer brush once it does break in with all that density, stiffness and softness). Omega looks pretty good, but definitely shows its mass produced nature, but it performs flawlessly and is a pleasure to use. It also cost very little (Semogue 1470 was not much more expensive in all fairness) and is definitely a good "beater" brush for when I pack for trips, etc. I did drop it the fall caused a fracture in the clear part of the handle (plastic). Handle is holding up, but there are a few chips and cracks in it. Semogue with a solid unpainted (my preference in Semogues) wood may get dented slightly, but not much worse for the fall. Semogue is a much more robust brush in every way, I just wish it broke in already. Omegas are easy to buy, easy to use, inexpensive and there is a huge variety of them to choose from. As I said, big brushes are not my thing, but that mighty midget looks awful good and may be my next impulse SBAD move (I just bought a used Berkeley 46, but that's a different subject).

Here are some side-by-side pictures of my two boars.

25 1,705
 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
As part of the starter kit I bought from a Norwegian web-store I got an Omega #10048, with the box relabeled as a Proraso. It's a good boar brush - even more so now that I've broken it in - but it's a bit on the large side of things for me.

Still part of my rotation though... Tongue

3 3,580
 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
I have a Tweezerman pure badger and a Vulfix Grosvenor bristle/badger currently. I love the Grosvenor, as it's much softer on the face than the Tweezerman. I feel like this has to do with the broken-in boar tips as opposed to the clipped pure badger hair. I'm planning on getting a Pro 49 as my first pure boar brush.

I agree that Omegas probably get a bad rap because they are more mass-produced, but to me, this only attests to their quality. From what I understand, this is the brand you'll find in just about any shaving household and barbershop in Italy.

2 362
 07-11-2012, 03:46 PM
User Info
I love my pro 48, it is the brush I reach for the most. I get them at a local market for around $10 and I have two backups in the closet just in case.
The handles do feel cheap, so my fix is to drill a small hole in the bottom and fill the handle with slow drying epoxy using a glue syringe, the handle feels solid now and has a good weight to it.

0 59
 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
What's all this talk about Omega brushes? I wonder if they are any good. Maybe I should try one.....

[Image: 2012-07-11_17-22-53_307.jpg]

Biggrin

5 270
 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
I want to get at least one wooden handled Omega brush.

I've been looking at the Omega 44 which has a Briar Root wood handle:

[Image: wpd64a4ffc_05.jpg]

Anyone here own it?

0 214
 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is a nice looking brush. I have the 45 which I believe has the same boar the 44 has. It won't replace any of my Semogue brushes, but it's a nice brush.

173 23,553