11-28-2015, 11:30 PM
User Info
I'm a 90% face latherer and currently have a Chubby 2 in best on loan to me that I definitely like.  I'm considering making another brush purchase and was looking at the Chubby2 in best or liked the looks of a Romera in a 30mm Manchurian knot.  I did a little research today and saw some concerns from people with the consistency of the Romera quality.  Any thoughts?  I usually lean toward denser knots with solid backbone similar to my M&F 2xl. 

Thanks,
BJ

13 223
 11-29-2015, 02:01 AM
User Info
I have a Rustic Chubby with a 28 mm knot and it's superb. Up there with my 2xl, my T3 Manvhurian,  Chubby 2 2 band, M&S Chief etc. 

Lovely quality handle, soft tips and firm backbone. Perfect for a face latherer which I am exclusively.

8 244
 11-29-2015, 02:08 AM
User Info
I'm with Jody, the one i used was phenomenal. The hair quality and construction was spot on.

7 1,182
 12-01-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
I have a Rustic Chubby in 30/55 that I've used a few times now. Great flow through and face feel. I could have gone a little lower on the loft, but wasn't sure on my first brush from him.

29 485
 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
I would go with the Romera Manchurian if you have the patience to wait for it as it is a better not. However, if you want a brush in the shorter term, you may be better off with the Chubby 2.
Having said this, both knots are going to be very different from each other with the Romera having more backbone, dependent on the loft, of course.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
Between those 2 Romera manchurian hands down. There r surplus brushes on the Romera site that can b purchased from time to time. I would recommend a 28/50 manchurian fan.

Incredible knot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,180
 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
Well guys I went back to order the Romera, a Barber style, and it is gone.  I'll keep my eyes peeled in his extra's section and hopefully I'll get one picked up.  I did find a good deal on a used Chubby 2 as well yesterday so looks like I'll be getting both but it may be a bit longer than originally thought because this one is out of stock.  Appreciate the input gentlemen.

13 223
 12-01-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
(11-29-2015, 02:01 AM)jodypress Wrote: I have a Rustic Chubby with a 28 mm knot and it's superb. Up there with my 2xl, my T3 Manvhurian,  Chubby 2 2 band, M&S Chief etc. 

Lovely quality handle, soft tips and firm backbone. Perfect for a face latherer which I am exclusively.

How would it compare to Manchurian offerings from Simpson?

5 286
 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 07:02 PM)inspectoring Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 02:01 AM)jodypress Wrote: I have a Rustic Chubby with a 28 mm knot and it's superb. Up there with my 2xl, my T3 Manvhurian,  Chubby 2 2 band, M&S Chief etc. 

I have both Simpson Manchurian and Gustavo's Manchurian. I would best describe Gustavo's knots as having the softness of the Simpson 2-Band Silvertip with the backbone of the Manchurian. They truly are wonderful knots.

31 5,283
 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
Agree Romera Manchurian is a fantastic knot. Very soft with excellent backbone and good flow through. My only concern is delivery times. Otherwise fantastic knots

2 132
 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM
User Info
(12-03-2015, 01:25 PM)Optometrist Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 07:02 PM)inspectoring Wrote:

I have both Simpson Manchurian and Gustavo's Manchurian. I would best describe Gustavo's knots as having the softness of the Simpson 2-Band Silvertip with the backbone of the Manchurian. They truly are wonderful knots.

So the Manchurian does not have the softness of tips at all?

BTW - does Gustavo take custom orders -i.e. would he fit a knot into my own handle?

5 286
 12-04-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
(12-03-2015, 06:59 PM)inspectoring Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 01:25 PM)Optometrist Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 07:02 PM)inspectoring Wrote: How would it compare to Manchurian offerings from Simpson?

BTW - does Gustavo take custom orders -i.e. would he fit a knot into my own handle?
The Simpsons Manchurians do have soft tips, however they are so densely packed the sensation on your face is less soft than from a knot less dense IMO. I have 6 Simpsons Manchurian knots and each has a slightly different feel. I have noticed that the more I use them the softer the tips are ....   I just received my Manchurian Rustic Chubby (30mm, 52mm loft) from Gustavo a few weeks ago and was blown away by the quality of the knot. Gel  like tips, excellent heat retention and flow through, easily one of my top 5 knots. He told me 6 weeks for the brush to be completed and I received in 6 weeks to the day after placing the order.  I'm not sure if he would set a knot into your handle though...

3 248
 12-04-2015, 06:22 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 02:48 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 06:59 PM)inspectoring Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 01:25 PM)Optometrist Wrote: I have both Simpson Manchurian and Gustavo's Manchurian. I would best describe Gustavo's knots as having the softness of the Simpson 2-Band Silvertip with the backbone of the Manchurian. They truly are wonderful knots.

The Simpsons Manchurians do have soft tips, however they are so densely packed the sensation on your face is less soft than from a knot less dense IMO. I have 6 Simpsons Manchurian knots and each has a slightly different feel. I have noticed that the more I use them the softer the tips are ....   I just received my Manchurian Rustic Chubby (30mm, 52mm loft) from Gustavo a few weeks ago and was blown away by the quality of the knot. Gel  like tips, excellent heat retention and flow through, easily one of my top 5 knots. He told me 6 weeks for the brush to be completed and I received in 6 weeks to the day after placing the order.  I'm not sure if he would set a knot into your handle though...

That's it  though - I looked at the website and I'm not really sure how the wooden handles would stand up to years of use -  I really like the handles but I'm not sure if I'd like the fact that they're made out of wood

5 286
 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 06:22 PM)inspectoring Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 02:48 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 06:59 PM)inspectoring Wrote: So the Manchurian does not have the softness of tips at all?

That's it  though - I looked at the website and I'm not really sure how the wooden handles would stand up to years of use -  I really like the handles but I'm not sure if I'd like the fact that they're made out of wood
I do believe you can make a custom order for "acrylic" handle on most of his brushes if that is a material you are more comfortable with. I asked before and his wooden handles are finished in tung oil IIRC.

29 485
 12-04-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 06:29 PM)I\m OnaBlueCloud Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 06:22 PM)inspectoring Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 02:48 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: The Simpsons Manchurians do have soft tips, however they are so densely packed the sensation on your face is less soft than from a knot less dense IMO. I have 6 Simpsons Manchurian knots and each has a slightly different feel. I have noticed that the more I use them the softer the tips are ....   I just received my Manchurian Rustic Chubby (30mm, 52mm loft) from Gustavo a few weeks ago and was blown away by the quality of the knot. Gel  like tips, excellent heat retention and flow through, easily one of my top 5 knots. He told me 6 weeks for the brush to be completed and I received in 6 weeks to the day after placing the order.  I'm not sure if he would set a knot into your handle though...

I do believe you can make a custom order for "acrylic" handle on most of his brushes if that is a material you are more comfortable with. I asked before and his wooden handles are finished in tung oil IIRC.

That leads me to the question, does anyone have one of the Romera wooden handled brushes, and how is it holding up?

1 311
 12-04-2015, 08:28 PM
User Info
The stand-alone Manchurian knots he was selling recently were disappointing and failed to match the softness and overall face-feel of the Anniversary brush I had the pleasure of using a while back. That knot was outstanding. From reading the above posts it sounds as if his current crop of brushes is every bit as good.

29 1,776
 12-06-2015, 05:34 AM
User Info
My Romera Manchurian knot was scritchy as hell at 30/55. I have chubby 2 in super and it is obviously  much better knot.
Romera Manchurian is not at all the same quality hair compared to Simpson Manchurian by the way.

11 435
 12-06-2015, 06:20 AM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 05:34 AM)mainaman Wrote: My Romera Manchurian knot was scritchy as hell at 30/55. I have chubby 2 in super and it is obviously  much better knot.
Romera Manchurian is not at all the same quality hair compared to Simpson Manchurian by the way.

Stephan, this comes as a total surprise as I have yet to experience any of Gustavo's knots that have scritch. I have only just acquired a couple of new brushes, a 30x53 Rustic Chubby and 30x55 Horn, and the knots are both as superb as the earlier brushes I owned. I'm a huge fan of Simpson Manchurian, yet, in no way would I class the Romera Manchurian inferior, in any way. Maybe you've experienced a rogue knot, but it certainly isn't typical, based upon my, and many others' experience.

31 5,283
 12-06-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 06:20 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 05:34 AM)mainaman Wrote: My Romera Manchurian knot was scritchy as hell at 30/55. I have chubby 2 in super and it is obviously  much better knot.

Stephan, this comes as a total surprise as I have yet to experience any of Gustavo's knots that have scritch. I have only just acquired a couple of new brushes, a 30x53 Rustic Chubby and 30x55 Horn, and the knots are both as superb as the earlier brushes I owned. I'm a huge fan of Simpson Manchurian, yet, in no way would I class the Romera Manchurian inferior, in any way. Maybe you've experienced a rogue knot, but it certainly isn't typical, based upon my, and many others' experience.

It is possible that I got a bad knot, but I am not going to spend any more money on Romera to find out if they are good. The knot is denser than Shavemac or Thater of the same size, however the lofts of my Thater and Shavemac are set higher.

11 435