11-29-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
Okay, I've been rotating three brushes, a pure badger, a best badger, and an Omega boar, the cheap one. The differences in how they get the job done are minimal. If one simply wants to lather up and shave, there is absolutely no reason to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a top-line badger brush. So why do we do it?  I think it has to do with aesthetics and pride of ownership.

0 89
 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM
User Info
I like the cool handles, so that's my main reason.

61 3,796
 11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
User Info
For me, it has to do mainly with the face-feel of the hair and that is why I prefer good 2-Band badger brushes. I plan to shave for, approximately, 18,000 more days, so I want to pamper myself with what feels best for my face. However, after 4-5 of them, it just comes down to the handles (aesthetics) for my photos as I don't need more than that. Biggrin 

[Image: hBnXV8.jpg]

83 21,109
 11-29-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
Now that's a beautiful shot, Celestino! I agree that I could live with just four or five brushes for sure, but what's the fun in that?
Choosing one brush would be too painful.

8 849
 11-29-2015, 08:58 PM
User Info
(11-29-2015, 08:33 PM)celestino Wrote: For me, it has to do mainly with the face-feel of the hair and that is why I prefer good 2-Band badger brushes. I plan to shave for, approximately, 18,000 more days, so I want to pamper myself with what feels best for my face. However, after 4-5 of them, it just comes down to the handles (aesthetics) for my photos as I don't need more than that. Biggrin 

Wow!

0 89
 11-29-2015, 09:28 PM
User Info
Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen, and, like I said, above, it is all about the handles, now, for my pics. Of course, they, also, feel so lovely on the face. Biggrin

83 21,109
 11-29-2015, 11:09 PM
User Info
i am much more modest than celestino, so i only plan to have 7488 more shaves before i hang up.

a simpson in best do the trick for me - the pride of ownership means next to nada at my farm; it's for me and my face only. i've had much more expensive and pampering brushes, as well as inexpensive nice boars, but the boars doesn't make and keep on lather the way i like it, and the big silvertips are too much; the middle of the road price-wise & size-wise works a treat Heart

7 1,624
 11-30-2015, 01:37 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am with marius.  I love my Semogues but best is best IMO. Badger holds lather much better, too. But I am a collector and of object other than those that are xuraological in nature.

0 1,843
 11-30-2015, 01:59 AM
User Info
ha - what does xuraological mean shaun? Biggrin

7 1,624
 11-30-2015, 02:38 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Xurao = Greek for "I shave". From the Septuagint, as I understand it. "Pogonotomy" refers more to beard removal (beard cutting), but it never quite sat well with me as the appropriate word for shaving. When I shave, I don't remove a beard, necessarily. I shave stubble, by and large. Xurao is a word I rescued from obscurity. I like it. I'm promoting it. Wink

0 1,843
 12-02-2015, 05:19 AM
User Info
I like the face feel and heat retention of badger. But I do find synthetics build up a better lather easier. If I only used a bowl for lathering I would only use synthetics. As a face lather guy, I'm almost always reaching for badger.

5 229
 12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(12-02-2015, 05:19 AM)jarick Wrote: I like the face feel and heat retention of badger. But I do find synthetics build up a better lather easier. If I only used a bowl for lathering I would only use synthetics. As a face lather guy, I'm almost always reaching for badger.

Badger feels so good on the face but synthetic is really effortless. If only there's a badger synthetic hybrid.

10 378
 12-02-2015, 07:18 AM
User Info
I know...I really like some aspects of the Muhle fibers (soft tips, backbone) and some aspects of the Plisson fibers (water and heat retention).  I've got one of the Plissoft brushes on the way to see how that goes.  Maybe a combination of that and my brush scuttle will work wonders.

I know I'd be really happy with just one nice modern synthetic brush...but I'm glad I don't have to limit myself!

5 229
 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
(11-29-2015, 08:58 PM)Ilnones Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 08:33 PM)celestino Wrote: For me, it has to do mainly with the face-feel of the hair and that is why I prefer good 2-Band badger brushes. I plan to shave for, approximately, 18,000 more days, so I want to pamper myself with what feels best for my face. However, after 4-5 of them, it just comes down to the handles (aesthetics) for my photos as I don't need more than that. Biggrin 

Wow!

That's an amazing shot... It would do well as a background for a desktop if you have a full resolution....

18 655
 12-02-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info

Damn

2 359
 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:32 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: That's an amazing shot... It would do well as a background for a desktop if you have a full resolution....

(12-02-2015, 08:34 AM)SimpsonLover Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 08:33 PM)celestino Wrote: Damn

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen! Shy

83 21,109
 12-02-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
All I can say is: did you see this brush in action? http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=37001
Nathan's dexterity certainly comes into play but look at that brush! Firm yet soft. Tons of bristles lathering very close together so you get only tinny bubbles for a very dense lather ... I can only imagine how that feels on the face. 
I love my badgers and they do a great job but mine are just not like that. 
Also, am new to boar and I like it. Lather and face feel are IMO very different from badger though. Not inferior nor superior, just different.

8 1,209
 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Building a lather is a matter of combining soap/cream with water and air, and in my experience, brushes vary greatly in how they do this.   I almost invariably build a lather in my hand, and complete the lathering on the face.  For that, I find that nothing beats the feel and effectiveness of badger.  And the grade does vary, but I'm not sure that more expensive means better.  In  the Simpsons Chubby Range, on performance and feel, you really can't go wrong with the lower end, Best Badger.  Super is softer, Manchurian is a bit firmer and different, but all are terrific.   And -- here's where YMMV -- I have never liked the synthetics.

Try them all and decide for yourself!

Stanley

2 155
 12-14-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
(11-29-2015, 08:04 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Okay, I've been rotating three brushes, a pure badger, a best badger, and an Omega boar, the cheap one. The differences in how they get the job done are minimal. If one simply wants to lather up and shave, there is absolutely no reason to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a top-line badger brush. So why do we do it?  I think it has to do with aesthetics and pride of ownership.

You are absolutely correct in that any of the three brushes mentioned with get the job done and done well for a very reasonable price. I firmly believe however that there is more than just aesthetics and pride of ownership that goes into the decision to purchase the more expensive options on the market.

There are a couple of aspects that factor into my decision to spend more for some brushes. The handle shape plays into the ease with which I can maneuver the brush around my face and the overall comfort in my hand. Some of the handle shapes are/were only available in the higher end of the price range. Second, having owned a couple of boar brushes and many badgers in all grades [black, pure (grey), best, super, silvertip, heritage, finest, Rooney finest (a completely separate grade from the finest often seen between best and silvertip), post 2000 manchurian, and post 1990 high mountain white] there are some that have a truly distinctive face feel. A true gel-tipped brush is a wondrous thing for me, and for many years was only found in the Rooney Heritage and Finest lines. That cloud feel that a Kent Silvertip provides is very tough to find. Just as the black badger in the Plisson I use has a very nice but distinctive feel that I have not been able to replicate in other black badger brushes sold by other brands. Other brushes were truly bought just for their aesthetics, and those often duplicate some quality of an existing brush and that's OK too.

Now whether these differences are worth the cost naturally vary, sometimes wildly, from person to person. I am perfectly OK spending $300 plus for an original Rooney Finest but have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari. I understand and respect that their car is far different than my old pickup, it's just not for me.  Biggrin

18 145
 12-14-2015, 02:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-29-2015, 08:04 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Okay, I've been rotating three brushes, a pure badger, a best badger, and an Omega boar, the cheap one. The differences in how they get the job done are minimal. If one simply wants to lather up and shave, there is absolutely no reason to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a top-line badger brush. So why do we do it?  I think it has to do with aesthetics and pride of ownership.

At one time I felt as you seem to now. Then I tried a soft, dense Semogue LE. I was hooked instantly. My shave quality improved dramatically too! You might think otherwise if you tried a more luxurious badger brush. There most definitely is a difference in performance between less expensive brushes and more expensive brushes. And like Celestino's pointed out, they feel so damn good! Just try one.

7 2,355