11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
User Info
How does it fall in between badger and boar? Does it split like boar does, or is it just like a synthetic paint brush? the same every time, never changing from use?

0 157
 11-30-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
I don't think is splits but after about 2 months of constant use my Epsilon Horse Hair does feel a little softer.

4 465
 11-30-2015, 07:16 AM
User Info
I wouldn't say horse-hair brushes fall between badger and boar brushes as I find them to be just to prickly to use no matter how long I have had them.
They do soften after some time, but just not enough for me.
YMMV! Shy

83 21,077
 11-30-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
I have a white horse hair which is 50% mane and 50% tail. 
The mane hair is very soft. The tail is thicker and prickly, so it is there for backbone and it is shorter. 
To be honest, i dont mind it much, it just add a little scrub - very little. One guy here wrote that he clipped the tail ones and that made a big improvement. I see that. I also clip dozen or two of "thorny" bristles in my boar brushes. But i havent found the urge to that yet. 
The rest of the feeling is super soft and very gentle. I get fantastic lather with it, and i find it quiet enjoyable. 
The standard loft is a little tall, for face lathering so I dont soak it, just a little rinse, otherwise it becomes very floppy. 

I dont find it similar to boar or badger or synthtic at all. It is a different feel.

6 827
 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
(11-30-2015, 07:16 AM)celestino Wrote: I wouldn't say horse-hair brushes fall between badger and boar brushes as I find them to be just to prickly to use no matter how long I have had them.
YMMV! Shy

+1

31 8,057
 11-30-2015, 10:25 PM
User Info
I've had one brown horse hair brush and it was prickly at the begining and after a 5-6 uses it became less prickly. Tail hairs act like boar bristles in my opinion but splay is more than a horse  hair. The tips of the horse hair don't split like boar as fas as I know.

On the other hand, I ordered Epsilon white horse hair brush  recently and used  it 4-5 times. It is not much prickly but due to  chubby like size and extra density knot, it has very strong  backbone that make the hairs splay very very difficult. For that reason the brush feels pricklier than it is. I hope it will soften in time.

0 145
 12-01-2015, 04:51 AM
User Info
I have the Bullgoose 2012 LE beehive and the V-L 13061 - both with the bleached knots

They definitely are towards the scrubby end of the brush spectrum, much more backbone than any of the badgers that I own (Bests, 2-Bands and Manchurian).   The knots soften nicely after a period of use and and are more suited to painting the lather after the usual circular motions whip it up during face latherings

They work well with both soaps and creams, plus they are affordable, so dont be shy about adding a stallion to your collection

8 240
 12-01-2015, 05:00 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(11-30-2015, 07:16 AM)celestino Wrote: I wouldn't say horse-hair brushes fall between badger and boar brushes as I find them to be just to prickly to use no matter how long I have had them.
YMMV! Shy

+2. That is the exact same experience I have had. It is the only type of knot I can't get along with.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-01-2015, 07:24 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
............i have not had good luck with horsehair brushes................
...........after my experiences with them, i just don't see the reason to use them when you can purchase a far superior badger, boar, and/or synthetic brush............

45 1,066
 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have an Epsilon brown horse hair knot that I enjoy. It does not split like a boar, is a very dense knot but has quite soft tips.

I like it for the change of pace.

Also, if it matters from a personal perspective, the horse hair is harvested for use via normal grooming not killing of the animal.

Note: I have badgers, boar, synthetic, horse so have no qualms about using natural fiber brushes but respect others that don't for ethical reasons Smile

2 1,180
 12-13-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
[Image: nx3mZKX.jpg]

I just got my first horse hair brushes. 
Both Vie Longs, a Pony and a 12750. 
The 12750 is a good size for me, 24mm knot, I used it today and it was very nice. 

The brush was soft feeling but not floppy at all. 
I did soak and then load cause I wanted clean it out before I used it and it did have a bit of animal scent. 
It was very slight compared to a recent boar brush though. 

It is a bit soon to tell but I think this may be a keeper. 
I'll try the Pony soon but I think that may be a bit small and relegated to travel duty. 

I liked the way the horse hair felt and performed. 
So far I have mostly used boars and occasionally cheaper synthetics and out of them boars are my preferred. 
I plan on alternating the 12750 with my boars to see how it fares after breaking in.

3 108
 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
YMMV! Shy

What's the hurry? Tongue Biggrin

61 3,796
 12-13-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
(12-13-2015, 09:11 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
YMMV! Shy

What's the hurry? Tongue Biggrin

Biggrin

83 21,077