12-01-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
Obviously lathering a soap either in a bowl or on your face is not, as they say, rocket science. Has anybody ever wondered why there are so many videos out there illustrating "techniques"?  Is it possible that those who get caught up in such nonsense are delusional?

0 88
 12-01-2015, 09:48 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Each soap can require a slightly different technique compared to another soap. Also, each soap can produce various types of lather depending on soap/water ratio and time spent working the lather. 

Many new wet shavers (myself included when I first started years ago) may not know they can get various qualities of lather with the same soap, which can change their overall experience. 

While it is not rocket science, it may not be as intuitive, especially to new wet shavers.

34 1,628
 12-01-2015, 09:54 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Delusional? No
Obsessive? Maybe
Attention to detail has many rewards.

59 4,389
 12-01-2015, 10:12 AM
User Info
LOL. This particularly applies to MWF. It is as easy to lather as any soap but people have developed all sorts of bizarre rituals like soaking, lathering upside down, and so on. They still can't succeed. People will try to blame their "hard water" for their ineptitude This theory has been proved wrong on another forum: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...wer-inside

Never overestimate people's lathering skills.

18 713
 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
 12-01-2015, 11:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-01-2015, 10:12 AM)fram773 Wrote: Never overestimate people's lathering skills.

Or lack thereof. Smile

175 23,752
 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
When I started, lathering soap turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Ultimately, it comes down to experience, but it's not unimaginable that lots of beginners would seek out a starting point.

0 1,055
 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
fram773, that is an excellent link you gave.  The inability of some to lather MWF has been a mystery to me.  User error is the best explanation I have read.

2 81
 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 11:12 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 10:12 AM)fram773 Wrote: Never overestimate people's lathering skills.

Or lack thereof. Smile
Biggrin

39 3,882
 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You could say the same for shaving with a straight razor, stropping a straight razor and honing a straight razor. None of that is rocket science to do and they look deceptively easy to do but are not really. You are delusional if you think you can do any of that perfectly from the get go. Same goes for making a decent lather if you have not done it before.

Like Brian said everyone needs a starting point in a DIY project. A good vid or three goes a long way to getting a good start for a beginner.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
I have never wondered about that, but I have wondered about boxer or briefs threads 24

Or when someone tells me on their SOTD they took a shower, good for you, I would hope so, lol....

I could go on, and on, and on, lol......

So there are more funny things floating around, I wouldn't call them delusional.

61 3,796
 12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
Speaking as someone who has made a couple of lathering videos I can tell you the reason I made the videos was to 1) demonstrate a method that people were interested in learning about. 2) Lathering a soap that people seem to find difficult to lather. I personally find a 5 minute video to be far more instructive and helpful than than some of the tomes people compose about the nuances they employ to lather a particular soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,200
 12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 11:43 AM)BobH Wrote: You could say the same for shaving with a straight razor, stropping a straight razor and honing a straight razor. None of that is rocket science to do and they look deceptively easy to do but are not really. You are delusional if you think you can do any of that perfectly from the get go. Same goes for making a decent lather if you have not done it before.

Like Brian said everyone needs a starting point in a DIY project. A good vid or three goes a long way to getting a good start for a beginner.

Bob

I agree with Bob. I learned how to face lather from Michael Freedberg's tutorial which is excellent. It takes a lot of practice and different soaps require different amounts of water, which is why I like do a test lather with new soaps and creams to determine the ratio.

13 947
 12-01-2015, 12:28 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 12:26 PM)merkur man Wrote: Speaking as someone who has made a couple of lathering videos I can tell you the reason I made the videos was to 1) demonstrate a method that people were interested in learning about.  2) Lathering a soap that people seem to find difficult to lather.  I personally find a 5 minute video to be far more instructive and helpful than than some of the tomes people compose about the nuances they employ to lather a particular soap.  

Nathan, your videos are very helpful and I think I can speak for the majority, by saying thank you.  I don't have the cojones to do it, so I appreciate when someone takes the time to do it.

61 3,796
 12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 12:28 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 12:26 PM)merkur man Wrote: Speaking as someone who has made a couple of lathering videos I can tell you the reason I made the videos was to 1) demonstrate a method that people were interested in learning about.  2) Lathering a soap that people seem to find difficult to lather.  I personally find a 5 minute video to be far more instructive and helpful than than some of the tomes people compose about the nuances they employ to lather a particular soap.  

Nathan, your videos are very helpful and I think I can speak for the majority, by saying thank you.  I don't have the cojones to do it, so I appreciate when someone takes the time to do it.

Signs011 , Hector, I just don't have the technological savvy to do it! Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-01-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 12:28 PM)hrfdez Wrote:

Thanks Hector!

73 2,200
 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info

^ This. Speaking for myself, I found Mystic Water soap nearly impossible to lather properly, at least until you made your video on it. Some soaps are finicky about lathering technique and it's tough to dial them in unless you know the trick.

3 1,484
 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
No one has really mentioned this yet but, as we all know, there is a very enthusiastic wet shaving community out there and a strong desire to share experience, opinions and such and encourage others to share the passion.  One guy even tags his videos "The Shaving Evangelist" (and I've watched many of Chris' videos).  I think that evangelist attitude is what drives people to make some of these videos.  I don't know if I need to watch 20 "how to lather" videos but I'm sure glad I was able to watch 1 or 2 when I started, just to see what it's supposed to look like.

2 64
 12-01-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 05:37 PM)das234 Wrote: No one has really mentioned this yet but, as we all know, there is a very enthusiastic wet shaving community out there and a strong desire to share experience, opinions and such and encourage others to share the passion.  One guy even tags his videos "The Shaving Evangelist" (and I've watched many of Chris' videos).  I think that evangelist attitude is what drives people to make some of these videos.  I don't know if I need to watch 20 "how to lather" videos but I'm sure glad I was able to watch 1 or 2 when I started, just to see what it's supposed to look like.

I like Chris (TSE) and think he is a nice guy who is passionate and wants to share with others like you say, but unfortunately he hasn't been posting much lately. There are a lot of good reviewers out there I'm sure but only two or three that I watch regularly. Shave the Man is my favorite for product reviews and seems to be the most knowledgeable on the subject. If you haven't watched his videos you should check him out. TSE and Shave The Man don't do lather tutorials, but rather lather tests to show how good or bad a particular soap or cream lathers. Nick Shaves and Michael Freedberg made some lather tutorials and I found Freedberg to be the most helpful for me, and actually is the one I watched prior to my first shaving brush lather. Considering he has 139,000 plus views on his tutorial I'd say it has been very helpful for a lot of new wet-shavers.

13 947
 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM
User Info
(12-01-2015, 06:07 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 05:37 PM)das234 Wrote: No one has really mentioned this yet but, as we all know, there is a very enthusiastic wet shaving community out there and a strong desire to share experience, opinions and such and encourage others to share the passion.  One guy even tags his videos "The Shaving Evangelist" (and I've watched many of Chris' videos).  I think that evangelist attitude is what drives people to make some of these videos.  I don't know if I need to watch 20 "how to lather" videos but I'm sure glad I was able to watch 1 or 2 when I started, just to see what it's supposed to look like.

I like Chris (TSE) and think he is a nice guy who is passionate and wants to share with others like you say, but unfortunately he hasn't been posting much lately. There are a lot of good reviewers out there I'm sure but only two or three that I watch regularly. Shave the Man is my favorite for product reviews and seems to be the most knowledgeable on the subject. If you haven't watched his videos you should check him out. TSE and Shave The Man don't do lather tutorials, but rather lather tests to show how good or bad a particular soap or cream lathers. Nick Shaves and Michael Freedberg made some lather tutorials and I found Freedberg to be the most helpful for me, and actually is the one I watched prior to my first shaving brush lather. Considering he has 139,000 plus views on his tutorial I'd say it has been very helpful for a lot of new wet-shavers.

I'm one of those 139,000 views for Freedberg's lather video and it was probably some of Mantic59's beginner videos (that are educational AND entertaining) that made me switch from cartridge and can to DE and budding acquisition disorders.  I probably could have figured out how to make lather and shave off my whiskers without these guys' videos but I don't think I would have ever had the inspiration to switch.

2 64