12-01-2015, 10:31 PM
User Info
I think the RazoRock Pillsoft brush has converted me to a synthetic guy.  I may even love it more than my Kent BK4!  For reference, I like softness in a brush and I'm willing,to sacrifice backbone for it (as long as it will still lather hard soaps).  I use a scuttle to lather most of the time but will face lather on occasion.

I've narrowed down my choice of next brush to a Muhlë/EJ STF V2.0 or a Plisson synthetic.  I also need to decide whether to go less expensive with a La Maison du Barberier or 19/21mm Muhlë or more expensive with one of Plisson's more expensive offerings or a 25mm EJ or Muhlë STF brushes. I might be able to get a Maison branded Plisson AND 21mm Muhlë from Connaught.

Bonus question: are the EJ brushes worth the extra ~$8 premium over the Muhlë?  Why or why not?

3 125
 12-01-2015, 10:44 PM
User Info
I really like my Muhle 23mm synthetic. I have a Shaverevolution 22mm that is probably similar to the plisson and a 24mm sunrise knot that is amazing.

The Muhle is great, but the sunrise knot is a much better value even compared to the plisson. Paired with a frank shaving handle you can build a great brush for around $30 total with shipping.

4 146
 12-01-2015, 11:08 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(12-01-2015, 10:31 PM)Texchappy Wrote: I've narrowed down my choice of next brush to a Muhlë/EJ STF V2.0 or a Plisson synthetic.  I also need to decide whether to go less expensive with a La Maison du Barberier or 19/21mm Muhlë or more expensive with one of Plisson's more expensive offerings or a 25mm EJ or Muhlë STF brushes. I might be able to get a Maison branded Plisson AND 21mm Muhlë from Connaught.

Bonus question: are the EJ brushes worth the extra ~$8 premium over the Muhlë?  Why or why not?

Muhle versus Plisson: The difference is in the hair and backbone. With the Plisson you could go the less expensive way or not, it's only the handle that is a bit nicer depending on taste.

The EJ brush is very nice but has a lot more backbone then the Plisson of Muhle (I can only speak for the XL version).

I love my Muhle 25mm a lot, had two 23mm Muhle brushes that I didn't like (opening in the middle of the hairs when used, several others on the Dutch shaving forum had similar experiences but there where also people that didn't have that problem).

Another option for you might be the RazoRock 22mm synthetic badger as to me it has the same hair as the Muhle and is cheaper.

28 1,433
 12-01-2015, 11:36 PM
User Info
I've wondered about that brush when I have noticed it on the Italian Barber site. So it has the Muhlë STF v 2.0 fibers?

3 125
 12-02-2015, 02:35 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(12-01-2015, 11:36 PM)Texchappy Wrote: I've wondered about that brush when I have noticed it on the Italian Barber site. So it has the Muhlë STF v 2.0 fibers?

I'm almost 100% sure it does.

28 1,433
 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
I tried the EJ 23mm and the Plisson and I prefer the Plisson. I guess it depends on your preference, like you I don't mind sacrificing backbone for softness. For me Plisson is much softer and builds excellent lather with very little effort and product.
What I really disliked about the EJ was resilience of the hair, found it very springy and didn't quite open up as much as I would've liked it. Then Plisson doesn't have this issue, doesn't really have much backbone but I found it considerably softer. My suggestion is try a cheap version of the plisson and if you like it, but one directly from Plisson with a nice handle. They have many handle options and they are all nice. Good luck in your search

Edit: here are all the plisson synthetic fibre brushes. They offer a wide variety of handles at different prices. I still think the original loccitane version with Plisson only logo is a solid option for $30 or so. Just note that many users had issues with the knot falling out of that specific brush, another reason to buy directly from plisson and get their warranty
http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber

2 132
 12-02-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
You cannot go wrong with a Ferrari Red Plisson.  I bowl or scuttle lathered for about 2 years, then discovered the pleasure of building a lather directly on my face with my L'Occitane Plisson with Merkur Man's shiny lather method.  The Plisson would be a classy performer.

2 81
 12-02-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
I went ahead and ordered La Maison brush for $30 off the Plisson website.*  I am pretty sure I'll like it.  I'm less sure that I will like the Muhlë/AJ STF brushes.   Can anybody compare them to my Kent Silvertex brush?

* I assume it has the Plisson warranty.

3 125
 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
Good move! You won't regret it.
Yes it does have the Plisson warranty... Whatever that is good for!

2 132
 12-02-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
Kent Silvertex is awful. 

Muhle/EJ STF is great (25mm). My favorite synth. 

The Plisson fiber brushes are okay. Price is their best feature. Many of the Plisson fiber knots have huge glue bumps -- meaning they are not actual Plisson knots.

14 153
 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I just recently receive my Stirling Synthetic Kong SB last week. It has the same fibers as the plisson. Since you like softness and sacrificing back bone The Stirling does not have that issue. I highly recommend it.

10 963
 12-03-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
(12-03-2015, 06:50 AM)Balj86 Wrote: I just recently receive my Stirling Synthetic Kong SB last week. It has the same fibers as the plisson. Since you like softness and sacrificing back bone The Stirling does not have that issue. I highly recommend it.

I agree, I have the La Maison Du barber, Muhle silvertip fibre 23mm knot and the Stirling 26mm Plisson type brush. All are excellent, but the Stirling should give you the backbone with sofness of the plisson fibres.

1 213