07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I don't know if this is true or not. You be the judge

ATM PIN Number Reversal - Good to Know !!

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN in reverse.
For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

All ATM�s carry this emergency sequencer by law.
This information was recently broadcast on Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

100 12,439
 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would be in bad shape and so would the robber. I can't remember my PIN number.Smile

173 23,504
 07-07-2012, 10:18 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Apparently (and unfortunately Angry), this isn't true according to Snopes, but it may work in Illinois depending on your bank.

6 119
 07-10-2012, 04:59 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
As far as I'm aware, this doesn't work in Australia...

However, screaming loudly often attracts police attention and usually encourages desisting of such endeavours! Tongue

Here, many house alarms here will silently alert police (or your monitoring company) if you enter your PIN followed by the number "9"...

91 17,823
 07-14-2012, 06:09 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
My alarm alerts the police if I put in a random, incorrect number. They activate a voice activated listening and ask me for my password. You are supposed to say anything and not your password...bannanas, for example which tips them off to call for emergency police visit.

11 303