12-02-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
I have no children, a choice I took long time ago.

My girlfriend has no children either.....

Her sister has two, one is a sweet 7 year old girl.

My problem is that, even efter telling her directly and her parents, 3 times in a row, when visitting us, she just can't keep her little fingers from my shaving gear.

I have most placed in a guest room and some in the bathroom.

First time she annoyed me was when she decided to swirl her fingers in 6 of my softer TOBS, TF&H & DR Harris shaving cream, that was on the front row, this was evident by a 2 inch large crater in all the creams.
Now I know for a fact these creams did not have any craters in them before her visit, because I had recetly opned them and smelled them - but not used them yet (TOBS Graprefruit, Peppermint, Coconut and TF&H Lavender and Rose and DR Harris Sandalwood)

As a guy with OCD, this really irritated me, so I told her parents that she shoudl keep her fingers away from my person things. I also told it to her directly, but what do a 7 year understand after all.

Next time she visited us, after they went home, I glanced at my shaving brushes, and I kid you not, all 22 of my badger brshes had a dent of 1 inch wide in the middle of each brush, and perhapr hallp an inch deep.
I told my GF, that this little niece of hers was starting to seriously annoy me.
It wasn't until I combed the brushes they hole went away.

To some it may be amusing, to me it's a violation o my personal space, but do a 7 year kid care about that...respecting my personal items.

Finally last week, I had a brand new 200 ml Proraso Pre shave cream in tge bathroom, BRAND NEW never touched.
After her visit, it had a 2 inch wide crater in it, and cream splashed all over the lid.

She probably has done far more damage, but I have yet to find out.

What should I do, guys ?

I really don't want to create a bad relationship with these guys, and I have told them once, that their daughter should stay away from my personal things.

25 6,431
 12-02-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
Family is more important than shaving gear. It's not even a question.

63 1,721
 12-02-2015, 07:57 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You have two choices. You can say no more and simply put all your gear in one locked room so the disrespectful child can't get to it or you can tell the parents never to bring the child with them for a visit till she learns to respect others personal property. Choice is yours and I don't envy you.

Bob

0 1,693
 12-02-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
Biggest concern should be that she doesn't touch the blades, everything else is replaceable and will probably spoil before you get to it anyway.

63 1,721
 12-02-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 07:56 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Family is more important than shaving gear. It's not even a question.

This Signs011

61 3,796
 12-02-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
I had to smile a little when I read your post - having two kids myself she is doing what kids do.  She is curious and probably plays with your shaving gear because you told her not to. 

Here are a couple suggestions:

Get her her own items she can play with - cheap brush, cheap soap, cheap safety razor with no blade.
Show her your collection and tell her that it is expensive but look - I got you your own personal items she can play with anytime she comes over.
Tell her that is she does play with the other brushes she has to help you clean them - may not be true but boring cleaning always makes kids run.

She is curious and by saying don't touch you are giving her a challenge.  Show her, educate her, and having her own items might make her less likely to touch your more expensive items.

Good luck.

4 489
 12-02-2015, 08:07 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:04 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: I had to smile a little when I read your post - having two kids myself she is doing what kids do.  She is curious and probably plays with your shaving gear because you told her not to. 

Here are a couple suggestions:

Get her her own items she can play with - cheap brush, cheap soap, cheap safety razor with no blade.
Show her your collection and tell her that it is expensive but look - I got you your own personal items she can play with anytime she comes over.
Tell her that is she does play with the other brushes she has to help you clean them - may not be true but boring cleaning always makes kids run.

She is curious and by saying don't touch you are giving her a challenge.  Show her, educate her, and having her own items might make her less likely to touch your more expensive items.

Good luck.

+1 Well said

~Jesse~

80 947
 12-02-2015, 08:09 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:04 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Get her her own items she can play with - cheap brush, cheap soap, cheap safety razor with no blade.

Signs011  She already knows that you have these goodies so let her play with some junk shaving items. Eventually, she'll tire of seeking out your shaving goodies.

13 683
 12-02-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Wait, I'm confused, you have stuff in a guest room and you don't want guest touching them.... In a room designated for them?... Perhaps remove them from the guest room when you have guests. 

Same goes for the bathroom items (I'm assuming this is a public bathroom).

18 659
 12-02-2015, 08:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am sorry guys as I guess I am just a little old fashioned.  I would tell her no and her parents NO just one time.  Next time she would feel the palm of my hand on her butt.

181 25,128
 12-02-2015, 08:41 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am sorry guys as I guess I am just a little old fashioned.  I would tell her no and her parents NO just one time.  Next time she would feel the palm of my hand on her butt.

That's what my parents used to do, but with a nice leather belt, ouch!

61 3,796
 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
tell her not to touch your stuff in a closed cabinet. When she goes to open it. KAPOW
[Image: boxing-glove.jpg]

18 716
 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:41 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 08:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am sorry guys as I guess I am just a little old fashioned.  I would tell her no and her parents NO just one time.  Next time she would feel the palm of my hand on her butt.

And I bet you understood and respected the word no and your parents.  I know I did.  I was a fast learner and my dad was an expert at explaining the word no to me.

181 25,128
 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:45 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 08:41 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

And I bet you understood and respected the word no and your parents.  I know I did.  I was a fast learner and my dad was an expert at explaining the word no to me.

Immediately!

61 3,796
 12-02-2015, 08:47 AM
User Info
an alternative is to tell her not to go in a closet. Unbeknownst to her you hide in said closet with a scary costume.

18 716
 12-02-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 07:56 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Family is more important than shaving gear. It's not even a question.

This sums it all up. U just deal with it as family is first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,303
 12-02-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:09 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 08:04 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Get her her own items she can play with - cheap brush, cheap soap, cheap safety razor with no blade.

Signs011  She already knows that you have these goodies so let her play with some junk shaving items. Eventually, she'll tire of seeking out your shaving goodies.
IMO that works when you are the parent. Not so much when you are not a figure of authority to them. 
Showing stuff to her so you can better understand what she is looking for and then working on that might help.  
Definitely make sure there is no sharp stuff she can reach.

9 1,459
 12-02-2015, 09:21 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info

Yes, I think I would do the same. It is my house and my rules. Family or friends that don't like it and can't abide by it do not have to visit. There are plenty of examples, that I have seen, of much older "children" that still do not know the meaning of private property do not touch without asking first.

Bob

0 1,693
 12-02-2015, 10:00 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Kids and expensive shaving gear  Rolleyes. Yikes. I have two kids and I am very careful with what I leave displayed, despite my 3 year knowing he shouldn't touch dad's stuff. I do have some older less valuable shave gear that I can give to him as a substitute. 

Personally I like avoiding conflict especially with close friends/family so if I was in your position, I would put the shaving gear away. IMO it's a small price to pay and it is not worth having bad feelings develop because of it.

34 1,627
 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(12-02-2015, 10:00 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I would put the shaving gear away. 

Family first but I can also be a bit "particular" about my things in general. If I don't want it interfered with, I put it away.

PS I don't have kids but have nieces/nephews and many friends who do.

2 1,180