12-02-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 11:22 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 10:00 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I would put the shaving gear away. 

Family first but I can also be a bit "particular" about my things in general. If I don't want it interfered with, I put it away.

PS I don't have kids but have nieces/nephews and many friends who do.

But you are a Texan Thumbsup Biggrin

61 3,796
 12-02-2015, 01:02 PM
User Info
Thanks for all your comments, guys.

It's nice to hear others perspective on the matter.

The parents know I suffer from OCD, so even a child should be told what to do and what NOT TO DO, especially when the man in the house has a pretty serious illness, an illness the man goes to theraphy twice a month for to keep down the symptoms.

I haven't got any children, but if I had I would have raised them learning far more respect thatn most kids are brought up with in these times, so I lean towards Johhny's replies a good deal more than the ones that says: 'It's family, it's kids, let them do what they want'

Shaving and perfume is one of my hobbiies and also a way of life for me.
I 'hide' my perfumes in a huge 5 way drawer, but only because they need to be stores in a dark, cool place.
I did consider hiding all my soaps and creams in one of my huge dress cabinets, but I enjoy having them displayed out in the open in a couple of open mahogany bookcases, which I had a carpenter make for me exactly to display my shaving gear.

I now consider hding it all away in some wirebaskets in the bookcase - but should I really do all this, just so I can have my GF's niece visit us 10-12 times a year and not having to worry  Huh

When I was 7-8 years old, I never would do things like messing with peoples personal items smearing cream all over......and if I did once, it would only be once, because I would be told to NOT DO THAT THING I WAS DOING, and I would learn what respect was, perhaps not that hard way with a leather belt, but the hard way none the less.

25 6,352
 12-02-2015, 01:06 PM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:30 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: Wait, I'm confused, you have stuff in a guest room and you don't want guest touching them.... In a room designated for them?... Perhaps remove them from the guest room when you have guests. 

Same goes for the bathroom items (I'm assuming this is a public bathroom).

It's an office room, some times used as a guest room.
It's a condo with one bathroom.

Having to remove items before having guets will be a P.I.T.A in the short AND long run. Not really an option, I find worth considering.

25 6,352
 12-02-2015, 01:06 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(12-02-2015, 11:43 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

Family first but I can also be a bit "particular" about my things in general. If I don't want it interfered with, I put it away.

True story Smile  

My sisters kids are pretty well behaved and respectful but they are also very curious. I generally run a tight ship anyway but if things are out and about in the "common" area they get stashed.

If not, the second option is for the kids to get an old school beat down. J/K.

2 1,180
 12-02-2015, 01:07 PM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 07:56 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Family is more important than shaving gear. It's not even a question.

And by that you mean family should be allowed to pretty much do anything they like to do wiht your personal items, no restrictions at all - in order to save the family piece and everybody will be smiling all the time  Huh

25 6,352
 12-02-2015, 01:08 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(12-02-2015, 11:43 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

True story Smile  

My sisters kids are pretty well behaved and respectful but they are also very curious. I generally run a tight ship anyway but if things are out and about in the "common" area they get stashed.

If not, the second option is for the kids to get an old school beat down. J/K.

2 1,180
 12-02-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 07:57 AM)BobH Wrote: You have two choices. You can say no more and simply put all your gear in one locked room so the disrespectful child can't get to it or you can tell the parents never to bring the child with them for a visit till she learns to respect others personal property. Choice is yours and I don't envy you.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I might go for the second option as i feel it's too much to hide and lock down all my shaving items, because family and kids should be allowed to do anything they want without restrictions, proper upbringing and the learning of what the wornd RESPECT means...

25 6,352
 12-02-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am sorry guys as I guess I am just a little old fashioned.  I would tell her no and her parents NO just one time.  Next time she would feel the palm of my hand on her butt.

I'm leaning towards your solution to the problem, Johnny.

Thanks !

25 6,352
 12-02-2015, 11:21 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Have your girl friend take the lead on this.  These days parents think their kids can do no wrong.  She can talk to her sister/brother about this before their next visit.

You are not just  a shaver, but also a collector;  and this avocation of yours should be respected.  Don't be shy about telling the parents again how you feel about it.

1 796
 12-03-2015, 05:27 AM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 11:21 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: Have your girl friend take the lead on this.  These days parents think their kids can do no wrong.  She can talk to her sister/brother about this before their next visit.

You are not just  a shaver, but also a collector;  and this avocation of yours should be respected.  Don't be shy about telling the parents again how you feel about it.
Signs011

48 4,635
 12-03-2015, 07:04 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Tell her to stop acting like a 7 year-old.

Make sure that you don't react like a 7 year-old.

If you had your own personal cookies or candy on the counter, do you think she'd get into them? There is a reason why we are addicted to shaving gear, to the smells of the soaps and the way a brush feels. You had just been smelling your soaps yourself before she came over. Children explore the world by touch, as well as smell--they put their fingers in mud, like to finger paint, feel the texture of things, and like to smell things. By having your shaving gear available to her, you are setting her up for failure. If you don't want her in it, lock the door. We lock up medications, guns, breakable china, and other items that we don't want children to get in to. I use straights, and you can be sure that I'd lock them away from children who are guests in my house--or, after they lost a finger I could say, "I told them not to get into my personal stuff!"

Your OCD is your problem, and shouldn't be other people's problem, which is all the more reason to lock up any "OCD items" that you might have.

38 5,631
 12-03-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
sadly the same i have to do when friends / family stay i move my stuff out of the spare bathroom (normally my shave den) and put them in the spare room (my home office) and keep it locked the whole time. then i can go get what i want and put it back when im done. this way no issues. i also had major issues in fact i had around 600$ worth of stuff stolen by a relative but i have no way to prove it. they took some of my straights and a de. i know it was them because no one else was in the house besides us and my 9 year old. but they left while i was at work and i couldnt confront them (my wife's relatives), i know it was their teenage son. he was the only one who showed any interest in them and told me WOW he couldnt believe how much it was worth (some were still in the boxes with the priced labels on them).....  luckily she believes me and they are no longer allowed to stay here while in town.

16 660
 12-03-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
First thing is you got a 7 year old being 7 year old. Second thing is if her parents are aware and know how you feel then it's a lack of respect on their part for you and your belongings and a lack of disciplining their child. If it was a personal family members child I would have no problem disciplining but with someone else's kid it can be tricky. Not sure of the laws in your country but here it can get you locked up. 
I know you have a larger collection of products than most people are aware so just moving them can be an issue. Several things to try could be if you have the room and funds, buy a lockable curio or wardrobe that can go in that room. This will protect your things while giving them drawer space etc. If not and they are unable to comply with your wishes and respect your property tell them they will have to stay at a hotel. I can understand a couple little temporary changes when it comes to guests but you should not have to rearrange your life to suit them.

154 3,740
 12-03-2015, 08:11 PM
User Info
(12-02-2015, 08:04 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: I had to smile a little when I read your post - having two kids myself she is doing what kids do.  She is curious and probably plays with your shaving gear because you told her not to. 

Here are a couple suggestions:

Get her her own items she can play with - cheap brush, cheap soap, cheap safety razor with no blade.
Show her your collection and tell her that it is expensive but look - I got you your own personal items she can play with anytime she comes over.
Tell her that is she does play with the other brushes she has to help you clean them - may not be true but boring cleaning always makes kids run.

She is curious and by saying don't touch you are giving her a challenge.  Show her, educate her, and having her own items might make her less likely to touch your more expensive items.

Good luck.
This is exactly what I would do. I have a 3yrd old daughter that loves my shaving stuff. Rather than have her exploring the good stuff, I put together a kit that is just for her. When she wants to hang out with daddy while he's shaving, we get out her stuff and she plays. Works perfectly.

45 1,247
 12-04-2015, 06:00 AM
User Info
I can't help with your present situation but maybe a solution a coworker came up with for pumpkin thieves might help give you an idea.

The coworker had a patch of pumpkins and it was being raided at night by his neighbors kids. He discussed it with the parents and there were denials. He waited and it didn't stop, so he took home a tube of Dy-Kem Blue paste. This is a paste of blue dye that indicates when an object touches another object. Now to understand it fully one needs to understand that when it gets onto something it is deep blue, very persistent, and can't easily be washed off, stains everything it touches, and it takes a microscopic amount to do any of those things. He went to his pumpkin patch and using disposable gloves commenced to smear this stuff over a number of pumpkins. The next day the parents of the children came to his house and asked about the blue dye all over their children, their clothes, and all over the interior of their house. Since this stuff is so persistent anything they touched or rubbed up against got coated blue. Of course he denied knowing anything about it, similar to the parents earlier denial,  but did ask how the children had gotten something like that on them.

Despite the link that follows you do not want to use that substance for your problem Claus.

For the curious or for another pumpkin patch, here's the substance

32 6,513
 12-04-2015, 06:29 AM
User Info
Thanks once again to all for sharing your opinions and giving me inspiration and ideas.

I have decided to do this:

I asked my sister to contact her sister (the childs mother) and inform them, that my personal stuff is personal, and as such should not be touched. BY ANYONE, children, dogs, aliens, ghosts, you name it, they keep their fingers away.

If they can't make their soon 9 year old daughter (she is 9 year old in December) comprehend this, I can't have the family around the condo.

I still like to see them socially, but it will be at restaurants and bars in the Copenhagen area (we both live 2 miles from the center of the City, 15-20 minutes walk)

Fragrances, shaving and male grooming is my hobby and a way of life for me, I can't have childrens fingers in my expensive facial creams, shaving creams and what not. 

END OF DISCUSSION !

Just found out the little terroist devil also had smirred her fingers in one of my brand new Helena Rubinstein facial creams and in my brand new Xpec Original Shaving cream creating a crater in each pot.

25 6,352
 12-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That right there is probably the best solution, Claus.  Out of site, out of mind.  The little girl, not the soap.

180 24,993
 12-04-2015, 07:29 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Now I am really confused Claus. Why on earth did you drag your sister (the child's aunt) into this? Huh

48 19,844
 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes, My mind went in 10 different directions when I read that!

42 1,041
 12-04-2015, 07:45 AM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 07:31 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Yes, My mind went in 10 different directions when I read that!

I was more disturb by the fact the Helena Rubinstein face cream has been besmirched in such a manner, unacceptable.

61 3,796