12-04-2015, 07:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-04-2015, 07:29 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Now I am really confused Claus. Why on earth did you drag your sister (the child's aunt) into this? Huh

After re-reading this I am now wondering the same thing.  Since it appears the child's mother is your sister, you should of just had the conversation with her direct.

Unless you meant your girlfriends sister.  Then it make sense.

180 24,995
 12-04-2015, 11:48 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I'm sorry to hear of your disorder Claus, I wish you the best in being able to one day conquer it and enjoy life more.

146 1,990
 12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
User Info
I've got 2 kids , and I have numerous nieces and nephews , to say I've always got kids in my house is an understatement. I'm not going to sit here and say my kids are perfect and would never mess with anybody stuff because we'll they are kids. I know at my house when the kids come over they know the areas thay are off limits. My brother and my sister all had a conversation years back as the kids starting acting up and it something like this. When my kids are at your house it's your rules, if they get out of line you have my blessing to keep them in line at your house by any means . If they get too far out of line call me and I'll bring the belt.

Now I have an 11 year old son and some of the kids he's had over to my house for the weekend ,just have no repeat what so ever.  That's why I go to the parents before hand and I'm like look if my son's at ur house make him mind , if he gets out of line correct him, if he continues call me. Some of the boys I have at my house now though are very disrespectful. No need to go into details but I heard one talking very vulgar in front of my daughter and I told him not to talk thay way in my house. He continued so he packed his things and his parents got a call at 9 pm that his son wouldn't stop cursing and making sexual comments in front of my daughter. 

Op if you told the child and the parents multiple times it's the parents fault. My son knows if I tell him something he better do it and not ask questions because he knows of he doesn't mind me I'll stripe his rear end  . My son also knows if he gets in trouble away from home he's getting it from me when he does get back home. I'm real big on respect and I refuse to raise a disrespectful kid.

IMO the girlfriends niece in this story is not afraid of consequences of her actions, parents probably let her get away with a lot so she thinks everyone will. I'm guilty of thus with my daughter. I'm hard on my son but people say inlet my daughter get away with murder, and they may be right ,but that's my baby girl you know she gives me this look I just can't say no too. Op just lay the ground rules if they are visiting for a few hours tell them to stay where u can see her at all times. And if she wonders tell her to get back where u can see her. Tell them if they can't control their child then don't bring her back until they can.

No reason or trouble should be made over telling someone and their child not to mess with your stuff. If they get mad over you saying hey please don't break my stuff or mess with it then you probably see why the child acts like thay in the first place. I do advise against punishing someone else's child in a way other than just verbal though. Unless you and the parents have had this discussion already. For example if a stranger whipped my kids without my blessing or even talking to me about ground rules for the kids first I'd be in jail as soon as I found out.

3 1,356
 12-04-2015, 12:22 PM
User Info
But to call your little nice a terrorist devil?  That's crazy!  Sorry, but it is a child after all.

61 3,796
 12-04-2015, 12:37 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(12-04-2015, 12:22 PM)hrfdez Wrote: But to call your little nice a terrorist devil?  That's crazy!  Sorry, but it is a child after all.

Agreed. Kids are kids. I would also say that we have kids over and around our house quite often.

I don't let them disappear in our house and "self serve" long enough to get into any trouble.

As previously mentioned, I also don't leave things out that may be tempting as it is just inviting conflict. Either store or lock and the problems will be avoided. It's pretty tough to hold a child accountable for getting into things that are obviously cool as we know.

Luckily she didn't hurt herself though.

2 1,180
 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
Ball and chain anyone?  Tongue

83 1,589
 12-04-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 07:29 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Now I am really confused Claus. Why on earth did you drag your sister (the child's aunt) into this? Huh

Sorry guys, it's my Girlfriends sister, not my sister  Facepalm  Blush

25 6,352
 12-04-2015, 05:23 PM
User Info
My wife's nephew was like this growing up. The mother never made him mind and he was a smart mouth, always getting into things etc. Wife didn't want hard feelings with her sister so I want straight to his mother myself and told her in my house he was going to be respectful period.

He tested me a few times and I just told him I wasn't his mother or her boyfriend that I meant what I said and my rules were my rules he could follow them or go home. A sit down with your girlfriend to see if she can address the issue would be my number 1. Number 2 if she wouldn't or couldn't I would go straight to the parents and be like look no disrespect but your kids messing with some valuable things that I don't want broken. Please keep her away from them. It's all about respect ,thay being said at the end of the day they are still just material things. I would have a chat with the parents and your girlfriend, and even take measures to make your things where the child cabt get to them. You can risk losing a few soaps or creams, or if it goes too far it could cost u a girlfriend if it gets too out of hand. 

I just have a different outlook on things since I have children of my own now, as I know kids will be kids,but same time a child that won't listen and mind at 7 years old isn't to blame the parents are. Just speak your mind and lay your rules op, all you can do,if it keeps on then think is it really worth the fight or hard feelings that may follow if you tell someone their child isn't welcome in your home? Or is it worth it to weigh the risks and maybe replace a cream or 2.

3 1,356
 12-04-2015, 05:32 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm closing this thread now ..

102 18,712