12-03-2015, 08:57 PM
User Info
How to tell the difference?
What does the label say on the Heritage brushes?

5 286
 12-04-2015, 12:07 AM
User Info
(12-03-2015, 08:57 PM)inspectoring Wrote: How to tell the difference?

The only true way to distinguish them is by feel/use, really. However, all of the Finest brushes should have 'Finest' inscribed on the handle, whereas the Heritage ones just have Blonde Badger, unless there has been a change that I am unaware of.

82 21,056
 12-04-2015, 02:04 AM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 12:07 AM)celestino Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 08:57 PM)inspectoring Wrote: How to tell the difference?

The only true way to distinguish them is by feel/use, really. However, all of the Finest brushes should have 'Finest' inscribed on the handle, whereas the Heritage ones just have Blonde Badger, unless there has been a change that I am unaware of.

+1, although as has been written elsewhere, Lee's labelling of handles and the hair that goes in to them, is often not a match. I've had one or two brushes that have said Finest when the order was for Heritage. I feel it's whatever he has in stock at the time, sometimes. The only true way of knowing is as said. Just use, and feel.

31 5,278
 12-04-2015, 11:45 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
The Heritage hair I've used have all been labeled "blonde badger" and the 3 band is softer than the 2 band. In fact, I thought that true "heritage" hair was 3 band only, but I'm no expert. I've also noticed a lack of any glue bump on heritage knots.

Lee's 3 band Heritage knots are among the finest brushes I've ever used.

159 1,315
 12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 11:45 AM)Steelman Wrote: The Heritage hair I've used have all been labeled "blonde badger" and the 3 band is softer than the 2 band. In fact, I thought that true "heritage" hair was 3 band only, but I'm no expert. I've also noticed a lack of any glue bump on heritage knots.

Lee's 3 band Heritage knots are among the finest brushes I've ever used.

I know that the original Rooney Heritage knots were 3-band, and then they released batches of 2-band Heritage as well, including the famed gel-tipped 2-bands of 2011. The only M&F Heritage I've tried was a 2-band brush purchased in 2014, with the Blond Badger label on the handle. Unfortunately, this came from a run of scritchier than expected hair, so I didn't keep it.

38 1,159
 12-05-2015, 07:26 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I have always thought initially the "Heritage" moniker actually referred to the Rooney handles AND the hair grade used, like we used to see on the Vintage Blades page. Jim had the typical styles 1, 2, & 3- the 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, etc. The Heritage lines- Stubby, 1XL,2XL, 3XL, Beehive, Emillion, Alibaba, & Victorian. The hair associated with those brushes then became associated with the term, and seemed to stick.

The Rooney Heritage hair grade then seemed to make it into many of the early M&F brushes in 2 band and 3 band form and were labeled Blonde Badger. I also used to think gel tip phenomenon was only a 2 band thing, until a friend lent me a 3 band Heritage brush that was as gel tip as any 2 band gel tip I owned.

The term Finest resurfaced in M&F brushes of the last 3 or 4 years or so, timeline is spotty in my brain. I have zero experience with an original Rooney Finest, so I can't speak to what the M&F Finest is in regard to it. All I know is M&F Blonde and Finest have been all over the map the last few years which is inevitable unfortunately. I've tried M&F brushes labeled Blonde that were no better than a TGN Finest. I've tried newer Blonde that was as gel tippy as the 2010 Rooney 2XL gel tip I own. I've tried one of the newer Finest that was no better than a TGN, then tried a Finest that was gel tip. It's a total crap shoot now I feel with what knot you'll end up with. The same goes for getting a brush with a glue bump nearly a half inch above the handle, or a brush without any evident at all. It's all become sort of a mess of inconsistency that for me became tiresome and quite expensive trying to get a brush that matched the type of consistency found in the late Rooney/early M&F timeframe.

My Rooney & M&F "Heritage" brushes....
[Image: o1JxYCU.jpg]
[Image: MOKp9qq.jpg]
[Image: Y2yjRka.jpg]
[Image: 0mULBMh.jpg]

143 1,983
 12-05-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
Nice brushes Jeff!  Hard to beat those old Rooneys in my opinion!

73 2,196
 12-05-2015, 07:58 PM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(12-05-2015, 07:31 PM)merkur man Wrote: Nice brushes Jeff!  Hard to beat those old Rooneys in my opinion!

You've got some doozies yourself Nathan. We are really lucky to have them. I forgot these too- Heritage hair on both starburst brushes. Turnback I can't remember, and it is gone anyway.
[Image: 7Aujcud.jpg]

143 1,983
 12-05-2015, 09:31 PM
User Info
Gorgeous brushes, Jeff! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 12-05-2015, 09:39 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes!

7 882
 12-06-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
so now perhaps a question I should have asked earlier - what are the differences between the two - i.e. characteristics?

5 286
 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(12-06-2015, 08:11 AM)inspectoring Wrote: so now perhaps a question I should have asked earlier - what are the differences between the two - i.e. characteristics?

I guess that's what I was eluding to in my above post- the characteristics are all over the place, and you can't necessarily rely on the hair grade suggested on the handle as a guide. It's buy and try, and hope you like what you get. Some have gel tip characteristics, some batches are a bit scrubby.

143 1,983
 12-06-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 10:26 AM)Shanman Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 08:11 AM)inspectoring Wrote: so now perhaps a question I should have asked earlier - what are the differences between the two - i.e. characteristics?

I guess that's what I was eluding to in my above post- the characteristics are all over the place, and you can't necessarily rely on the hair grade suggested on the handle as a guide. It's buy and try, and hope you like what you get. Some have gel tip characteristics, some batches are a bit scrubby.

+1
Sadly this is true these days. I can't imagine how many emails Lee gets any given week requesting brushes. It would be impossible to keep up with it all as a one man show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,196