12-04-2015, 07:35 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Hi Guys,

As I haven't found any info about the Irving Company Straight razor as they call it themselves I thought hey let's start a topic about it.

It's actually a shavette and not a straight razor but I posted it here as it leans more in the direction of a straight then a DE.

I contacted the owner and while the Company has a International button on the shop page, that doesn't work yet but should in a few weeks, although that might be a bit longer as it seems the first batch has sold out (it was only a small batch). Lucky me I got the owner to send me one via email contact but I had to settle for one without the box to keep shipping costs down. I have no personal connection with Ricky and paid for my razor. 

I was surprised after unpacking the razor about the balance, looks and weight. One thing that I noticed immediately was that if you want to keep it shiny on a display you better be prepared to wipe it off thoroughly after each use, every fingerprint shows. There is mention of other colors and materials in the future so that could be a better choice for the regular user, I don't think a barber will mind about that so much and this razor was developed with barbers in mind in the first place.

Very nice curves to this shavette, if I hold it next to my Feather DX folding it show many similarity's in thickness and curves but certainly isn't a copy of it. It falls into my hands just like the DX and while I like the long tang of the Feather I didn't mind the rather short one on the IBC, I'm not even sure a longer one would be better or advisable. Same thing about jimps,  difficult to say if it would improve the razor, didn't miss them but maybe they should make a model with jimps as I suspect the regular user might like them.

Certainly a plus is the fact that you can use either a half DE blade, a Feather/Kai/Dorco single blade and a injector blade! Out of the 3 possibility's the Feather/Kai/Dorco ones are my favorites (but I shave most often with those so no surprise there). You can watch the video to see how the razor is opened and the blades placed inside, first few times you have to keep your attention, not that it's difficult at all just a bit different then other shavettes. 

There are little magnets that keep the blades in place and if you use a DE blade broken in half there are two little spaces where the two curved ends of the broken blade fit into so it doesn't interfere with closing up the razor. 

The knob, first thing I thought I wouldn't like, surprise .... it doesn't get in the way during shaving at all, obviously they thought this out really well! I always change hands for the different halves of my face and head and no problems there either. 

It's too early to give a real review, I might do so after a month of two of use. I've shaved for 40+ years now, mostly twice a day to keep the bamboo at bay with DE's, SE's, straights and shavettes and have tried a really long list of different ones but have kept only a small portion of them that I really like. This one might just make it into the short list.

But even 40+ years is nothing compared to what a barber does so I took the IBC to a Turkish barber in my city and let him work with it. Those guys are magicians with a shavette! Unbelievable to watch. He used it on several customers and liked it a lot, wanted to keep it but no luck there  Nono

Looking forward to what the company might bring on the market in the future, a red one to go with my Plisson Ferrari Red brush would be nice. A few pictures but forgive my photographic skills  Rolleyes

[Image: EAz2Z8q.jpg]

[Image: 4TAOlj7.jpg]

[Image: E1LtP5e.jpg]

[Image: xJpkl14.jpg]

[Image: FW0zMnJ.jpg]

[Image: YncvYKw.jpg]

28 1,448
 12-04-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
Really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this shavette..Ironically I was just browsing shavettes this morning and saw this razor mentioned in another forum a while back. So I went onto their website today and e-mailed them regarding availability. No response yet.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it shaves.

1 213
 12-04-2015, 08:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Snuff, nice first review and photos.  It the handle also metal?  And, is it polished stainless steel or plated?

179 23,928
 12-04-2015, 09:18 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for the great article and photographs Ron. I see they also have replacement parts readily available which is nice to know if you own one.

13 626
 12-04-2015, 10:30 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
@D_SM: It shaves wonderfully, everyone who is used to shaving with a straight, shavette or something like the Feather razors will probably immediately have nice shaves, if you never have used a shavette remember "no pressure is rule number one, two and three". In that case try a Feather, Kai or Dorco blade or a injector blade, the double edge blades are IMHO the ones who require a little bit more care when shaving. 

During the first shave of my head and face no cuts or wheepers (but I'm used to shaving with similar razors, YMMV)

@Johnny: It's plated zamak 3 zinc alloy and I hope it will stay beautiful for a very long time, maybe if used by barbers every day for many customers it might show some wear, only time will tell us.

28 1,448
 12-04-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
(12-04-2015, 10:30 AM)Snuff Wrote: @D_SM: It shaves wonderfully, everyone who is used to shaving with a straight, shavette or something like the Feather razors will probably immediately have nice shaves, if you never have used a shavette remember "no pressure is rule number one, two and three". In that case try a Feather, Kai or Dorco blade or a injector blade, the double edge blades are IMHO the ones who require a little bit more care when shaving. 

During the first shave of my head and face no cuts or wheepers (but I'm used to shaving with similar razors, YMMV)

@Johnny: It's plated zamak 3 zinc alloy and I hope it will stay beautiful for a very long time, maybe if used by barbers every day for many customers it might show some wear, only time will tell us.

Thanks Snuff, Im fairly a new user to shavettes and have been trying perfect my technique over the past 6 months or so. Look forward to your thoughts especially on how it compares with the dovo shavette.

The company got back to me, great customer service with prompt reply. They hope to have them in stock next week.

1 213
 12-06-2015, 01:13 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Yesterday evening and this morning another two very pleasurable shaves with the IBC. 

The makers advice to only use DE blades for cutting the edges of one hair like in the neck but I can asure you that a complete head and face shave with a DE blade is very well possible. 

A tip for those who might find the razor a bit to slippery (I don't have any problems with it): Just run your fingers over a alum block before picking it up and your good to go.

I did find one area where a improvement could be made: The pivot screw is very difficult to use, a normal screwdriver doesn't fit in there (too shallow), I had to use the back of a small kitchen knife to tighten it up.

28 1,448
 12-06-2015, 06:32 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Some more info:

The head is somewhere between that of the DX and Feather SS in, blade exposure is the same (here with a super pro blades in both). Face feel with the IBC is a bit more like with the SS and might just require a little less precaution when shaving then the DX. But please remember I've used the DX for years so it's not fair to make a real review so soon of the IBC, so far I like it, I really do. Weight of the razor is 55 grams.

If you want to compare with other shavettes here are some weights:

15g Tondeo Ergo/CRP Sifter Ergo
15g Dovo Shavette Alu
16g Wilkinson
16g Tondeo
21g Dovo Shavette Stahl
22g Sedef
25g CRP Sifter 
27g Jaguar ORCA
29g Hartmann 4/8
34g Tondeo TM
39g Sanguine X-D 20
40g Revisor 5/8
40g Vanta RA111
40g Dittmar
42g Dovo Prima Nr. 4 11/16
46g Rudi Schaaf, 6/8
47g Gold Dollar Nr. 66 13/16
47g Wacker Red Head 13/16
50g Monsieur Charles
50g Kai Captain Excelia (Kamisori)
51g Zwilling-Friodur inox, 11/16
53g Monsieur Charles
55g Feather AC
56g Kai Captain Excelia folding
59g Revisor 6/8
60g Wacker Dorko 7/8
61g TDJ China-Shavette
66g Malteser Nr. 44, 8/8

[Image: OlfXmXr.jpg]

[Image: Vs4WpBR.jpg]

[Image: kzUOAaJ.jpg]

[Image: 6q9lvAR.jpg]

[Image: dkUAQ4j.jpg]

[Image: VVN8qP3.jpg]

28 1,448
 12-07-2015, 05:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the detailed pictures.

179 23,928
 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for the pictures and comparisons Snuff.

That is some list of shavettes, do you own all of them? If so do you have any favourites?

I recently bought a Sanguine coolcut 4 with yellow scales. It takes the person a blades..waiting for it to arrive.

1 213
 12-07-2015, 11:23 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have used most of those shavettes and all of the Feather/Kai razor models but have only kept the Feather DX models as they are my preferred tools.

28 1,448
 12-08-2015, 02:36 AM
User Info
(12-07-2015, 11:23 PM)Snuff Wrote: I have used most of those shavettes and all of the Feather/Kai razor models but have only kept the Feather DX models as they are my preferred tools.

Thanks Snuff, I should hopefully be getting the IBC shavette when they are back in stock.

1 213
 02-04-2016, 04:27 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Brandy and Black are available, waiting on a answer to get one.

[Image: knxs1Tf.jpg?1] 

28 1,448
 02-22-2016, 08:41 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
[Image: EP6fcs4.png]

Just received my second Irving Barber Company shavette, from all the shavette's I've tried this is certainly my favorite.

28 1,448
 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Have they still got the ridiculous shipping prices?

3 227
 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(02-22-2016, 01:05 PM)Scoti Wrote: Have they still got the ridiculous shipping prices?

No, It was $20 shipped to Europe I believe, that's reasonable IMHO.

28 1,448
 02-23-2016, 02:28 AM
User Info
(02-22-2016, 08:41 AM)Snuff Wrote: [Image: EP6fcs4.png]

Just received my second Irving Barber Company shavette, from all the shavette's I've tried this is certainly my favorite.

Very nice! I recently got the polished version, it came in a wooden presentation box. Shipping was also reasonable IMO. 

But I still haven't had a chance to use it! Do you have any preference to which blades you use in the IBC?

1 213
 02-23-2016, 04:19 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have been using my Feather DX razors a lot so those are my most used blades but the results with injector blades and DE blades are also very good. In a discussion with the maker it seems that the barbers who buy these razors only use double edge blades for modeling the hair and removing neck hair and such but I found that it really handles well during a face and head shave.

28 1,448
 02-23-2016, 05:17 AM
User Info
(02-23-2016, 04:19 AM)Snuff Wrote: I have been using my Feather DX razors a lot so those are my most used blades but the results with injector blades and DE blades are also very good. In a discussion with the maker it seems that the barbers who buy these razors only use double edge blades for modeling the hair and removing neck hair and such but I found that it really handles well during a face and head shave.

Thanks Snuff..its great to have a shavette that accepts all these types of blades.

1 213
 03-04-2016, 07:26 PM
User Info
(02-23-2016, 04:19 AM)Snuff Wrote: I have been using my Feather DX razors a lot so those are my most used blades but the results with injector blades and DE blades are also very good. In a discussion with the maker it seems that the barbers who buy these razors only use double edge blades for modeling the hair and removing neck hair and such but I found that it really handles well during a face and head shave.

Sorry if I missed it, but where does the IBC fall between the SS, DX, and a straight?  I love my straight razors, but I want to try a shavette type razor.  I've heard the DX most closely resembles a straight.  How far is IBC from that?  

Thanks, 
  Chance

6 84