12-04-2015, 03:14 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
It would be great when posting a brush for sale or trade if there was a reminder (somewhere at the top where the rules are) to people (not all, but some) to please put in the knot size and loft height. 

Thank you
Steven

50 413
 12-04-2015, 04:42 PM
User Info
Sometimes people do not include this for a variety of reasons. It in no way shows that they are a bad or lazy seller. I have always included these details as I measure my brushes after use and write it down. So it really isn't an extra step to include it. Even on brushes I know will sell such as an MF where people will pull the trigger as fast as possible, I feel it is nice to be as giving as possible in the description of a brush.

One thing to remember when buying, if it is not included and then you ask for it, some may just look up the generalized size provided by the manufacturer. The problem with this is it is only an estimate and some companies are going to have more or less consistency and this isn't always accurate. So just because they give you a size of the knot and diameter, unless disclosed, the seller in the bst may not have ever measured it.

I have always put measured by me at mm knot and mm loft.

79 1,298
 01-08-2016, 08:48 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I wasnt able to post this information until recently when I broke down and bought a micrometer thingy just to do this kind of thing. While not super expensive sometimes people just dont have the ability to post it. But I agree when buying or trading for a brush it sure is nice to know or you just dont want to buy it. So I can see both sides.

15 773
 01-08-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
I have always provided that information when selling brushes in various places, but it has made me uncomfortable at times because I don't have calipers.  I don't want to provide even slightly misleading information, even if I have done my best to measure as accurately as possible.

Not that hard to eyeball the loft with a metric ruler.  But still pretty hard to eyeball the knot size.

So I started using some high school math to provide comfort.  Wrap some string around the knot base and carefully mark both sides of the string where they meet with a pen.  Take the string off and now you have the circumference of the knot between the 2 markings of pen.  Of course, the circumference = pi x the diameter.  And voila, given that pi is 3.14.

so pretty easy to be accurate, even if you have no calipers.

20 162
 01-08-2016, 02:36 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Measuring the knot at the opening is not a proper measurement of knot diameter. Depending on how deeply the knot is buried, the size at opening will be different by a mm or two. Knot diameter is usually measured at the base, by the manufacturer. For example, a 24mm knot can measure 25 or 26mm at the opening, but it is still only a 24mm knot. I know there are variances in manufacturer specs, but that will generally be loft height variances. They are not going to give you a 20mm knot and tell you it's a 22, for example.
Add to that many people do not know how to correctly measure these dimensions on a brush, or will eyeball it, etc. The measurements they would give are still going to be approximate, and some will get closer than others. So I really don't see the point.
If I'm considering a brush, I have already done my research and know what the specs are, have looked at reviews, etc.
Caveat Emptor still applies.
MHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

2 1,683