12-05-2015, 05:03 AM
User Info
i got my gillette tech in the mail. Y3 code makrs it a 1953. The razor has the gillette diamond as smooth etching on a frosted back ground.
When i first got ibto de razors everything said an etched top cap meant the top cat was brass or steel. And that the cast zamak heads ALWAYS havr thr gillette name cast into the top cap and ALWAYS have the angled sides.

Now the top cap on mine looks like obes from the 1930s. Etched logo frosted background with thr hybrid style alignment bar and threaded stud. The threaded stud has a number 7 on the very end of it.

And that has me curious because the travel tech i have has no mold markings of any kibd and its a 66 cast zamak. 

Also im seeing sources claiming a frosted back ground with etched shibey logo means zamak in the 50s. Yet these sources claim gillette used zamak during WW2. But the onky genuine WW2 razors ive seen have been brass steel aluminum and bakelight.

Im cleaning it at the monent. Hadnt been used much. The used blade that came in the head is a Y3 date and i have an unopened blade in the pack.

0 157
 12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
User Info
After cleaning it heres what I know

It is a zamak head. sad sad day. frosted finish with a perfectly glossy name is zamak during korea.

Im trying to figure out how they were plated. I have only seen pictures of zamak razors that fail and the material is always BLACK. on mine I have a spot of chrome loss on the threads of the top cap, and the material is COPPER colored under neath.

At the same time a spot on the thread of the handle has some plate loss and its COPPER colored underneath.

0 157
 12-05-2015, 05:15 PM
User Info
 12-05-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
bunch of stinkers. no time at the moment. I will when I stop crying.

0 157
 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
I don't think it is as bad as you are making it out to be. 
If this is a user razor from the 50's I'm sure it will last a good while longer. 

I have a few Techs I picked up and they will most likely outlast me. 
Do post pics when you can, I'm interested if any of mine are of this variety.

3 108
 12-06-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
It feels nice but i eas trying to get a all metal tech. Eanted the heavier head. It is a letdown because i was planning ob ir being my last out of picket razor purchase.
im trying to decide if i want to use the nos gillette ble blade. Its perfectly sealed but its special to the razor and me.

0 157
 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM
User Info
Zamak was not used at all in WWII.
It was used on yours in 1953 for that one year, due to the Korean war.
I don't know about the 7 as an identifying mark, but the reverse-etch logo (sometimes called frosted) is an indicator along with 1953 as the year.
It's lasted this long, if you take care of it, it should last longer.

Is there some reason you were chasing the '53? Why not a 1938-1941 triangle slot?

And actually, I think the later top caps have some redeeming qualities despite being Zamak. If you look at many of the red brass top caps from 1938-1963, you'll see that they're bowed down in the center due to over tightening. Usually it doesn't affect the blade, but on some I have that are really bad, it makes them wavy. The zinc one of the later models doesn't do that.

4 180
 12-07-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
50s techs are supposed to br smoother then pre 1950. And this decade seems to be priced 50% less the the pre 50s.

Everyone claims korean war is zamak due to brass shortages.. but almost all munitions used in korea were left over ww2 made surplus.
Every bomb the us navy used in korea was made for them  before 1946.

I tried the new girl on my wrist and it has nixe angle

0 157
 12-07-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
(12-07-2015, 03:52 AM)topcatman Wrote: 50s techs are supposed to br smoother then pre 1950. And this decade seems to be priced 50% less the the pre 50s.

Everyone claims korean war is zamak due to brass shortages.. but almost all munitions used in korea were left over ww2 made surplus.
Every bomb the us navy used in korea was made for them  before 1946.

I tried the new girl on my wrist and it has nixe angle

I don't know that it was shortages, as much as it was Gillette planning ahead. Remember, almost everyone in Gillette leadership at this time had been either working at Gillette during the war for War Dept. contracts, or had served in WWII. Also, if it could have been cheaper to produce for the same money, that would have been a motivation. Remember, for the Super Speed, they switched to a black plastic knob and aluminum handle instead of brass for one year, for the same reasons. Korea, planning ahead.

The 1946-1963 are all the same in terms of how they shave. The 1938-1941 USA is slightly, but not hugely different. I like the 1938-1941 Canada, best of all.

The triangle slots tend to cost more, but you can find them for cheap if you look. Either way, there's nothing really wrong with any of them.

4 180
 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM
User Info
I have a Y Tech and I use it regularly. There are three Tech's that I use on rotation. They are a Canadian pre war tech, my birth year "Y" Tech and an English Flat Bottom Tech. They are great daily shavers. Enjoy your adventure.

0 286
 12-07-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
I use my y today. Two passes was almost to close for comfort. The long handle is enjoyable. It feels more efficient then my travel tech. Even though the travel tech head feels heavier.

It is fun razor but i think the top cap is alnost the old type is cross section.

0 157